PDA

View Full Version : why do state capitals have a gold domed building?

test

tamla617
01-08-2011, 05:08 PM
what is the reason for the state capital building having a gold dome?

soulster
01-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Which one? Gold? I doubt it. Probably more like copper.

tamla617
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
course it isnt copper,that goes green with verdigris due to being out in the elements as on the statue of liberty's sheet metal skin.i've seen pictures of state capital buildings with gold painted [[probably) domes.i just wondered if there was a specific reason for this.is it paying homage to the gold dome in jerusalem?

jillfoster
01-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't know, our isn't gold.... it's just gray limestone. Good question.

tamla617
01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
perhaps it was just coincidence that the pictures i'v seen have all been gold colored an they are the only ones.unless yours got stolen!

arrr&bee
01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Maybe a better question would be why was the statue of freedom hoisted to the top of the u.s.capitol dome by slaves?????hmmmmmm????

roger
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
course it isnt copper,that goes green with verdigris due to being out in the elements as on the statue of liberty's sheet metal skin.i've seen pictures of state capital buildings with gold painted [[probably) domes.i just wondered if there was a specific reason for this.is it paying homage to the gold dome in jerusalem?

Well .. I'm a U.K citizen/resident so I wouldn't know the answer .. but I have been to Jerusalem, and that gold dome in Jerusalem is the dome on a Mosque .. The "Al Aqsa" .. that was built over the site of the ancient Jewish temple when the Muslims captured the city, so I would think that this possible reason is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Roger

tamla617
01-11-2011, 02:48 PM
yeah,does sound unlikely.i didnt know it was a muslim shrine,not a mosque,i just googled it!after all thats gone on 'round there i'm amazed its still standing.