PDA

View Full Version : Lionel’s Solo Statement

test

marv2
10-06-2016, 11:29 AM
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/lionels-solo-statement

Glenpwood
10-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Three great singles on that debut album but the rest of it wasn't very thrilling IMO. Lionel really hit his stride with the follow up "Can't Slow Down." Every track could've been a single...

marv2
10-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Three great singles on that debut album but the rest of it wasn't very thrilling IMO. Lionel really hit his stride with the follow up "Can't Slow Down." Every track could've been a single...

I agree. He should have continued in the style of his first two albums. Once he released "Dancing on the Ceiling", I lost interest.

TomatoTom123
10-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I agree. He should have continued in the style of his first two albums. Once he released "Dancing on the Ceiling", I lost interest.

"Dancing On The Ceiling" [[the song) is not bad, but I really like "My Destiny" from 1992

marv2
10-06-2016, 06:19 PM
"Dancing On The Ceiling" [[the song) is not bad, but I really like "My Destiny" from 1992

Ahh, now I remember that song "My Destiny". Not bad, but just too late for me as I had moved in another direction in terms of music that I liked by that point.

TomatoTom123
10-12-2016, 08:09 PM
What do we think of 1983's "Stuck On You"? It confuses me greatly, as it sometimes seems like a nice R&B-quiet-storm-y ballad but other times it sounds country-ish [[and I tell myself I'm not supposed to like country music, Lol) ??

nomis
10-12-2016, 09:12 PM
"My destiny" is a great track

TomatoTom123
10-13-2016, 06:20 PM
"My destiny" is a great track

Yes, it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viCQ-x89M0

nativeNY63
07-03-2019, 06:14 PM
What do we think of 1983's "Stuck On You"? It confuses me greatly, as it sometimes seems like a nice R&B-quiet-storm-y ballad but other times it sounds country-ish [[and I tell myself I'm not supposed to like country music, Lol) ??
His phase with Kenny Rogers, bromance! They both sang "Lady". Years later, Lionel would actually do, what I call, a neo-country album, Tuskegee.

TomatoTom123
07-03-2019, 07:56 PM
NY63, I actually downloaded Kenny Rogers' Lionel produced album Share Your Love and its not bad. "Stuck On You" has grown on me and I like it very much. "My Destiny" has grown on me even more and is one of my favourites now. :D

Bluebrock
07-04-2019, 02:44 AM
I thought "serves you right" was a great song on his debut album.

Bluebrock
07-04-2019, 02:45 AM
NY63, I actually downloaded Kenny Rogers' Lionel produced album Share Your Love and its not bad. "Stuck On You" has grown on me and I like it very much. "My Destiny" has grown on me even more and is one of my favourites now. :D
Do that to me one more time is also a great song.

Motown Eddie
07-05-2019, 06:25 AM

"Stuck On You" is a good example of the R&B/Country Music hybrid that Lionel Ritchie had started in the '70s with The Commodores "Easy" & "Sail On". So even if you're not into Country, songs like these could still work for you [[and part of Lionel's success was 'multi-format' songs like "Stuck On You").

Guy
07-05-2019, 12:45 PM
I like all of Lionel's music. A great composer and singer. The tracks I listen to most often are "You Are" and "Love Will Find A Way."

blkfrost
07-05-2019, 01:59 PM
I tend to like his ballads than his uptempo solo songs. My all time favorites are Ballerina Girl and Penny Lover.

nativeNY63
07-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Lurve the deep ambiance of "Hello" and the video. The actress who played the blind sculptor was gorgeous.

Sotosound
07-06-2019, 04:54 AM
After the very strong "Can't Slow Down" it felt as though Lionel tried to repeat the success but relied upon formula rather than inspiration.

For me, the forced "Whoop" in the intro to "Dancing On The Ceiling" said it all. He sounded as though he thought that he should put a whoop in there to whip up the excitement rather than just feeling so enthused that he just had to whoop. I see that as the beginning of the end.

I also think that he rediscovered his mojo with "Back To Front". The singles lifted off that were consistently good, and "Love Oh Love" ended up as the first dance at our wedding.

Recently, I discovered "Just To Be With You Again" from "Just For You", which is an atypical but fabulous track. It shows strong evidence of a fruitful collaboration and stands lots of repeat listens. Wonderful!

mysterysinger
07-06-2019, 05:19 AM
We all have our favourite songs naturally. Mine would be "My Destiny" and his solo demo if "Endless Love". However I'm not sure Lionel gets the respect he should amongst Motown fans given the rich history of talent that graced the label and the fact he came after the classic period.

lucky2012
07-06-2019, 10:33 AM
You Are and All Night Long always make me feel good. I'm grateful he wrote Missing You for Diana Ross.

Guy
07-06-2019, 03:59 PM
You Are and All Night Long always make me feel good. I'm grateful he wrote Missing You for Diana Ross.

His songs have a sweep and grandeur that suits Ross perfectly. She could remake any number of his songs and she would sound wonderful.

So many lovely songs in his catalogue. It is a mystery to me why his songs aren't more widely recorded. Shirley Bassey recorded "Still" and "Hello." Whitney used to do a knockout live version of "Love Will Find A Way." Other well-known singers -- Aretha, Barbra, Dionne, Natalie and Nancy -- did not record his material. I wonder why.

marv2
07-06-2019, 04:40 PM
We all have our favourite songs naturally. Mine would be "My Destiny" and his solo demo if "Endless Love". However I'm not sure Lionel gets the respect he should amongst Motown fans given the rich history of talent that graced the label and the fact he came after the classic period.

I liked him when he was with the Commodores best with songs like:

Sweet Love
Brick House
Just to Be Close to You
I Feel Sanctified
Machine Gun
Zoom
Too Hot to Trot ,etc,etc

nativeNY63
07-06-2019, 05:09 PM
I liked him when he was with the Commodores best with songs like:

Sweet Love
Brick House
Just to Be Close to You
I Feel Sanctified
Machine Gun
Zoom
Too Hot to Trot ,etc,etc

I like Big Bub's [[from early New Jack Swing group, Today) cover of Zoom.