PDA

View Full Version : Motown and the rock and roll hall of fame

test

captainjames
10-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Recently visited Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and was a little disappointed.
1. I don't remember seeing anything on the Temptations except a 45rpm.
2. The gowns on display for the Supremes is from the DMC era but show DMF.

captainjames
10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
A nice Bob Mackie gown but never worn by Flo.

jobeterob
10-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Emphasis always on white rock bands............and it's in Ohio too.

marv2
10-06-2016, 02:20 PM

What about Ohio?

detmotownguy
10-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Don't mess with Toledo!

marv2
10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Don't mess with Toledo!

Damned right! LOL!!!!

captainjames
10-06-2016, 06:37 PM

I get what you are saying Rob -
Beyonce and James Brown are next to the Supremes. Michael Jackson in Front and then it bleeds to white bands.

bradsupremes
10-06-2016, 09:27 PM
The Rock Hall remodeled their underground display exhibits several years ago. Prior to them redoing it all, the Detroit [[Motown) display case did have 5 Temptations costumes and the iconic 4 microphone stand on display. Those things were on display for years. They also had Four Tops coats and Vandellas dresses on display too. It was all changed out during the remodel.

As Jobeterob said the emphasis is on the white rock bands particularly old dead white male guitarists. When I was there, several of the women in the curatorial department pushed for the Women Who Rock exhibit. The museum was a bit leery because of the lack of women inductees. Eventually they pushed it through and the exhibit included both inductees and non-inductees, but it was clear the museum lacks diversity in its displays which they are now changing.

The Supremes have always had some sort of display at the museum since its opening. There wasn't a time when they weren't featured. Mary has always loaned the museum gowns to display; however because she doesn't have much from the Florence era, she's loaned them the famous gowns worn with Cindy.

jobeterob
10-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Ohio leans Trump. Sadly. But people like brad's family are working to change that

It's too bad the motown connection at the rock hall was downgraded

marv2
10-07-2016, 02:13 AM
Ohio leans Trump. Sadly. But people like brad's family are working to change that

Ohio was around way before Donald Trump,, and it will be around after he loses. You'd better check the new poll numbers because Hillary is now leading in Ohio. By the way, shouldn't you be more worried about the crazy housing market in Vancouver and that the city is now providing free Heroin to addicts there ?

captainjames
10-09-2016, 11:54 AM
It really has changed then -
I have a pic of Levi [[Tops) jacket, Bobby [[Miracles) and a 45 from the purple one [[Prince). I was glad to see a dress worn by Tammi Terrell. There is also a yellow gown that Diana Ross wore in a different case. Big presence for the Who, Stones, Beatles...etc.

The Rock Hall remodeled their underground display exhibits several years ago. Prior to them redoing it all, the Detroit [[Motown) display case did have 5 Temptations costumes and the iconic 4 microphone stand on display. Those things were on display for years. They also had Four Tops coats and Vandellas dresses on display too. It was all changed out during the remodel.

As Jobeterob said the emphasis is on the white rock bands particularly old dead white male guitarists. When I was there, several of the women in the curatorial department pushed for the Women Who Rock exhibit. The museum was a bit leery because of the lack of women inductees. Eventually they pushed it through and the exhibit included both inductees and non-inductees, but it was clear the museum lacks diversity in its displays which they are now changing.

The Supremes have always had some sort of display at the museum since its opening. There wasn't a time when they weren't featured. Mary has always loaned the museum gowns to display; however because she doesn't have much from the Florence era, she's loaned them the famous gowns worn with Cindy.

captainjames
10-09-2016, 11:57 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/09/15/trump-ohio-poll/90409146/

Sad but true it goes back and forth

midnightman
10-09-2016, 05:44 PM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a sad place...

captainjames
10-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Yeah not only the Supremes but I wanna see a presence by Tina Turner, Jackie Wilson, Ashford and Simpson, Mary Wells, Sly and The Family Stone, etc.

edafan
10-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Yeah not only the Supremes but I wanna see a presence by Tina Turner, Jackie Wilson, Ashford and Simpson, Mary Wells, Sly and The Family Stone, etc.

and Richard Street

edafan

TomatoTom123
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
and Richard Street

Richard Street was the seventh Temptation, if there ever was one!

bradsupremes
10-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Tina Turner, Jackie Wilson, Sly & Family Stone have all been featured in displays at the museum over the years. Exhibits change and they'll continue to do so as that's how a museum lives and breathes. Believe me, the museum has quite a collection in storage. It's hard to display it all.