PDA

View Full Version : How Accurate is this Supremes info?

test

imakicola
10-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Ok, so please forgive me as I have a limited knowledge of The Supremes compared to all the experts on here!

But I have compiled a chart that compares each OFFICIAL line-up of the Supremes, with the true lead and backing vocalists of the line-up.

I am asking if I have made any mistakes or errors!

Please note this is only for RELEASED SINGLES for simplicity purposes, and does not include actual full albums and album tracks and soundtracks and specials because that just gets REALLY complicated...

And I am under the assumption that "Reflections" features MARY/MARLENE and that "In and Out" features MARY/FLO because on this forum nobody seems to agree on those so I'm sure people are bound to disagree with those ones.

But please! LET ME KNOW :)! Are there any other mistakes / disputed facts?

Thanks!!!

IF THIS IMAGE IS TOO SMALL HERE IS THE FULL ONE:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/83eeff9ec52e662c44dadddf6728ccb8/tumblr_oegkt15MFu1rn948co1_1280.jpg

TomatoTom123
10-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Looks pretty good to me :)

Don't take my word for it, though [[Lol!) :)

blackguy69
10-03-2016, 10:44 AM
The only thing you for got is Touch and Automatically Sunshine were singles as well and were co lead by Mary. Also You Can't Hurry Love has been assumed that it was Mary and Marlene also

bradsupremes
10-03-2016, 07:15 PM
"In And Out Of Love" - Mary, Flo & Andantes

"Up The Ladder To The Roof, "Touch," "Automatically Sunshine," "Floy Joy, - Mary, Cindy & Andantes

Clydie King was the additional voice on "Nathan Jones."

luke
10-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Isn't a lot of this speculation? I've not read anywhere any difinitive statements about up the Ladder, in and out of Love or YCHL. Am i missing something?

marv2
10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Isn't a lot of this speculation? I've not read anywhere any difinitive statements about up the Ladder, in and out of Love or YCHL. Am i missing something?

You're not missing a thing. There will be a very few people that speculate regarding this topic forever. When Mary made mention that she and Cindy were not on "Love Child" and "Someday We'll Be Together" in her bestseller, "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" [[released 30 years ago this month!) I am sure she did not know the can of worms she was opening. Doesn't matter that she only cited those two songs [[along with a few others recorded between 1967-69), you now have some folks speculating about all the Supremes recordings. LOL!

luke
10-03-2016, 09:43 PM
I just read that YCHL is somewhat based on this song. Did others hear this.?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyeDcxmCxs

blackguy69
10-03-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm always surprised that most on here forget that Jean sang backup as well on up the ladder. I always heard it was the blackberries and not the andantes on touch.

luke
10-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Other than Clydie King this is all news to me.

marv2
10-03-2016, 11:00 PM
I just read that YCHL is somewhat based on this song. Did others hear this.?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyeDcxmCxs

Man, anything's possible. I only hear a few phrases that could be considered similar.

marv2
10-03-2016, 11:03 PM
I'm always surprised that most on here forget that Jean sang backup as well on up the ladder. I always heard it was the blackberries and not the andantes on touch.

Yes, you are right. Jean also sang background with Mary and Cindy. It is very hard to get 3 part harmony out of 2 singers, so they would have Jean record background to fatten up the harmonies. Some prefer to believe that session singers were used as if Mary and Cindy were not capable which is just not true at all. People forget that the Supremes were used on background on other Motown artists recordings and they were always great.

luke
10-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Can you top Mary and Cindy [[and Jean ?) backgrounds on Stoned Love? I don't think so.

sansradio
10-04-2016, 12:04 AM

Good one, Luke. It wouldn't have been the first time HDH mined the gospel canon for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NlX-l11MMA

sansradio
10-04-2016, 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzq76oWZSZ0

144man
10-04-2016, 09:10 AM

Most definitely as far as the lyrics go. I've always thought that the words "You've got to trust, give it time" are an awkward fit for the music, so the earlier song explains the origins of that particular line. Musically though, it's not that close.

mpn1jco
10-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I can tell the difference when Florence Ballard is on background and when the Adantes were used. I do believe it was a combination of Mary and Florence's backgrounds with Diana voice that was part of their success. It was a mistake of Berry Gordy to believe that he could use just any background vocalists.

captainjames
10-09-2016, 11:24 PM
The Andantes have been used on background on Motown recordings for as far back as I can remember.

carlo
10-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Yes, it is true that Flo is not on You Can't Hurry Love. If your ears are fine tuned to pick up on the background vocals, you will be able to confirm this for yourself.

Up until recently, I was always convinced that it is only the Andantes on "In And Out of Love"...but if you compare the sound of the background vocals to other Andantes-only backed recordings, the sound is much more full. It's obvious there are additional voices, presumably Mary and Flo. The same goes for other songs from that era, such as "The Happening". It's Mary and Flo, with additional vocals from The Andantes. They were being featured on Supremes' recordings as far back as 1964.

luke
10-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Speculation. Proof?;;;. Wasn't it the Happening that Flo demanded no Andantes and Berry said ok?

franjoy56
10-12-2016, 10:36 PM
I dont hear any other voices but mary and flo on bkg on both versions
of the happening.

marv2
10-12-2016, 10:45 PM
I dont hear any other voices but mary and flo on bkg on both versions
of the happening.

Those are the only voices I hear , along with Diane's.

imakicola
10-13-2016, 04:27 AM
That would make sense if flo demanded no Andantes on that record then!!!

TBH I feel like I totally hear both Mary and Cindy in stoned love, but definitely the Andantes as well.

floyjoy678
10-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Everyone has a different opinion of who sang on what. The only people who know the truth are Diana, Mary, Florence and HDH. I don't buy that Florence didn't sing on songs like "You Can't Hurry Love", most likely she was told to tone it down a bit like on "Where Did Our Love Go?" and "My World Is Empty", Mary's said herself that this was done on several songs as Flo's voice was overpowering. Now if the song had been recorded in February of 1966 I'd say okay, maybe since Florence was temporarily out of the group during that time.
I only hear Florence mixed in with the Andantes on "Stop", does that mean Mary isn't hidden in there somewhere?

Here's my take on songs...
Run, Run, Run-Mary, Flo and Andantes
When the Lovelight Shines Through His Eyes-Mary, Flo and an Andante or two
Stop In the Name of Love-Mary, Flo and Andantes [[confirmed by Louvain Demps)
I Hear A Symphony-Mary, Flo and an Andante or two
Up the Ladder to the Roof-Mary, Cindy and the Andantes
Stoned Love-Mary and Cindy in certain parts, mainly Andantes

midnightman
10-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I don't buy that Flo wasn't present on "You Can't Hurry Love". Sorry, I just don't. Motown used the Andantes too much on the girl group recordings imho... I know Motown worked at a breakneck pace but that is ridiculous plus they got ripped off at the end of all of that hard work singing harmonies.

Only Flo-era songs where I guess an Andante [[or two) were on were Stop! In the Name of Love [[it sounds like three voices singing when the music fades in the "extended" version) and Reflections [[note: I did not mention Supremes songs where they - The Andantes - were omnipresent like Love Is Here and In and Out of Love for instance).

imakicola
10-14-2016, 11:38 PM
I truly believe after listening to the instrumental that Reflections is Mary Wilson & Marlene Barrow. Also I don't think you can't hurry love sounds anything like flo EXCEPT when they sang it on the Ed Sullivan show

luke
10-15-2016, 12:09 AM
If Mary hadn't been so honest in her book about Andantes/Waters ... on SWBT and LC we'd all have thought it was Mary and Cindy on those records. I do not buy that Florence Ballard would allow herself to not be on YCHL and I'd like to hear from George about this

marv2
10-15-2016, 12:33 AM
If Mary hadn't been so honest in her book about Andantes/Waters ... on SWBT and LC we'd all have thought it was Mary and Cindy on those records. I do not buy that Florence Ballard would allow herself to not be on YCHL and I'd like to hear from George about this

Mary didn't know what a can of worms she was opening. She will tell you herself that she is on all of the number ones except those two. Florence I believe is on all of them as well.

imakicola
11-18-2016, 05:19 AM
We will all probably never get confirmation lol