PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Brand passes

test

Doug-Morgan
10-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Forgive me if I go off the reservation for a minute, but the "old folkie" in me can't let the passing of Oscar Brand go unmentioned. The Canadian born Brand was a contempory of Pete Seger and Woody Guthrie, I first ran across him in the mid 60's when he hosted the CBC show "Let's Sing Out". He was a great singer/songwriter, and a big booster of the art form, hosting "Folk Song Festival" on New York's WNYC for over 70 [[that's not a typo) years.

I met him once, a very charming man. I won't go into his life story....it's interesting......so if you'd like, read the obit, but a giant of the art form has passed away at the age of 96.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/arts/music/oscar-brand-folk-singer-whose-radio-show-twanged-for-decades-dies-at-96.html?_r=0

arr&bee
10-01-2016, 06:59 PM
I've heard of him...r.i.p.

sophisticated_soul
10-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Mostly I remembered the name. But a 1995 Peabody Award, a Guinness World Records for radio’s longest-running show with a single host, quite memorable. Interesting factoid Doris Day’s version of his song “A Guy Is a Guy” reached No. 1 on the Billboard chart in 1952.