PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Soulful Detroit at 16

test

ralpht
09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

When I was first asked to moderate the forum I readily accepted before realizing I knew Jack about moderating anything. So I threw myself into the task and let the chips fall where they may. At first it was easy. Membership was small and, other than discussing things with the few members, there really was little to moderate. But Soulful Detroit caught fire and the membership grew quickly. With so many new faces came so many new personalities and at times these differing personalities would clash and I would have to learn how to put out fires. I think I have learned a little over the years and try my best to treat everyone fairly when disagreements occur. There are times some on the forum might let me know I got something wrong when dealing with a problem. They may have a point and I apologize if anyone thinks I have treated them unfairly. I can only say I try and call the shots as I see them.

Having said that: What's with some of you people and the Supremes? Or anything connected to the Supremes? Nothing has puzzled me more about the goings on here than the dust-ups that have occurred in the aforementioned names.These are a bunch of talented women in all incarnations of the trio. But they are also human. I'll never forget the day I would pick up Jean Terrell at her hotel to deliver her to Motown. During the drive over she was somewhat shy and said little. Of course I probably wasn't saying much myself, realizing that I had Diana Ross's replacement in my car. And as time went on the transitions would continue and Diana would go on with her solo career. Were there a few bad moments along the way? Sure. So what! We all have bad days and times in our lives, but the forum has a way of taking some issue and boring into it until disagreements arise and I have to moderate something. Hopefully, this year these types of disagreements will ease. I must admit that lately things have been quite peaceful. So, my hope for the coming year is that all the women of the Supremes, along with Ms. Ross, will be given the respect these women deserve. They are true pioneers in the music business. Please keep this in mind.

Detroit

It has been a while now since I left Monterey California and even though I'm looking down the barrel of my fourth winter, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love Michigan and all the years away couldn't get the thought out of my mind that I was supposed to return someday. Besides, living in California and moderating a Detroit based music forum seemed somewhat off to me. Now my world is beginning to make sense.

Losses

This past year would bring another round of realities reminding us that we are not immortal and more of our favorite artists would pass. At the age of seventy four, I can, to a degree, accept the fact that these things are going to occur and occur with greater frequency. I'm not quite sure where I am in that line, but I know I'm getting towards the head and someday an angel is going to pull my hole-card and I'm toast.

I suppose out of all the forum losses over the years, there were two that seemed to hit me the hardest. Babbitt and The Count.

Babbitt

You really had to know the guy. When they say someone is "bigger than life", they are talking about Babbitt. We grew up together playing in bands. First, in the Detroit Teen Club system which gave valuable opportunities to us young musicians to showcase our bands, gain experience and make a little money. Local clubs and then "the road" would follow. The road taught us many things. Don't get too full of ourselves because we were, more than likely, going to get our asses kicked a few times while out there. It happens and it teaches you a few things.

And then the studio scene: Babbitt was all over the Detroit studio scene. At Tera Shirma, I could be in the front office while the guys for a recording date were drifting in. Through the closed studio door I could still hear Babbitt's boisterous laugh and feel glad he was around.

Babbitt would pass on the same day I would learn of the passing of my mother. Talk about a sucker punch.

The Count

His real name was Steve Gronas, but to us, he was, and always will be, The Count. He was a true music fan and brought much to Soulful Detroit's table. He had an interesting job. He was a specialty painter for the Ford Motor Company. He didn't just paint cars, he Painted them. The Count's work was seen in a multitude of auto shows around the world. The dude knew his work. One of these days I hope to fulfill a dream of mine and find a ‘57 Buick Roadmaster convertible and have it "done" by one of the talented car guys I see on television. The Count was going to paint it for me. Triple black. Top, interior and body. The Count’s talented mind took it a step further: midnight black with a hint of metallic violet deep within. Maybe some tasty pin striping. It was never to be though, but I know it would have rocked.

So here we are, gang. another year together. Each week I approve about ten new members, so it seems we are ever growing. Not perfect but I think we all try here to make it informative and friendly. It blows my mind that sixteen years have passed. Now this place is a part of my everyday life. Many thanks to you all for your many contributions here. I have always said I've learned more from the members here than all my years in this crazy business. Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit.

westgrandboulevard
09-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Indeed, Ralph.

Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit!

"Now this place is a part of my everyday life", you say.

And so say I, signing in each morning, even before I have really planned my day, as do so many other members.

Thanks for continuing to hold it all together for us, the members, who enjoy being a part of Soulful Detroit.

We shouldn't overlook the 'guests' who silently view Soulful Detroit without signing in, and who seem to form the vast majority. That's a huge number of people with an interest in the 'stage' you provide for us to express ourselves.

Congratulations!

[[btw, you have me just a little confused. From posts in previous years, it seemed that the start date for SD was October 1st, 2001. Is this now the 16th anniversary, or are we simply entering the 16th year?)

TomatoTom123
09-30-2016, 05:47 PM
I have only been here for a grand total of 23 days [[lol) but I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has ever contributed to the creation and maintenance of this wonderful website!

I never knew that people had such strong opinions on The Supremes, and that they could be the source of so many arguments and dust-ups!!! [[I suppose when you have five #1 hits in a row and forever shape the history of pop music, fans are bound formulate some pretty strong opinions)

Anyways, I genuinely love this website, it is so BRILLIANT - and I wish it a very happy 16th birthday!!

ralpht
09-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Entering the 16th year, West.

soulwally
09-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Thanks, as ever, Ralph and Lowell. I'm here every day even if I don't post everyday. Many good wishes, from the increasingly cooler North of England.
John

Doug-Morgan
09-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Has it been 16 years? I came here via Detroit Yes, and, alas, remember the big meltdown way back when. On the other hand, I remember things like the "Aaaarrrruuuuugggghhh" thread and many other good times.

The loss of The Count hit as hard as the loss of It'sJeff! did at DY, but life here, as there goes on. Thank you Lowell for supporting this site, and thank you Ralph for doing the good work of keeping it running smoothly.

Doug

splanky
10-01-2016, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=ralpht;349597]As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

When I was first asked to moderate the forum I readily accepted before realizing I knew Jack about moderating anything. So I threw myself into the task and let the chips fall where they may. At first it was easy. Membership was small and, other than discussing things with the few members, there really was little to moderate. But Soulful Detroit caught fire and the membership grew quickly. With so many new faces came so many new personalities and at times these differing personalities would clash and I would have to learn how to put out fires. I think I have learned a little over the years and try my best to treat everyone fairly when disagreements occur. There are times some on the forum might let me know I got something wrong when dealing with a problem. They may have a point and I apologize if anyone thinks I have treated them unfairly. I can only say I try and call the shots as I see them.

Having said that: What's with some of you people and the Supremes? Or anything connected to the Supremes? Nothing has puzzled me more about the goings on here than the dust-ups that have occurred in the aforementioned names.These are a bunch of talented women in all incarnations of the trio. But they are also human. I'll never forget the day I would pick up Jean Terrell at her hotel to deliver her to Motown. During the drive over she was somewhat shy and said little. Of course I probably wasn't saying much myself, realizing that I had Diana Ross's replacement in my car. And as time went on the transitions would continue and Diana would go on with her solo career. Were there a few bad moments along the way? Sure. So what! We all have bad days and times in our lives, but the forum has a way of taking some issue and boring into it until disagreements arise and I have to moderate something. Hopefully, this year these types of disagreements will ease. I must admit that lately things have been quite peaceful. So, my hope for the coming year is that all the women of the Supremes, along with Ms. Ross, will be given the respect these women deserve. They are true pioneers in the music business. Please keep this in mind.
[QUOTE]..

Well that certainly needed saying! Happy 16th Ralph....

soulster
10-01-2016, 09:32 AM
The song "Sixteen Candles" immediately popped into my head! I can't believe its been that long! Wow! And, I was one of the people who started here in 2002.

The forum well knows how I feel about some peoples' obsession with The Supremes, and you, Ralph, addressed most of it, so no need to go there again [[I hope).

I still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?

I'm still looking forward to the previously announced upgrades to the forum. It would be great to finally have avatars, and other cool features that most other music forums have had for more than a decade.

splanky
10-01-2016, 09:54 AM
You keep repeating this, soulster, over the years:

still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?
but haven't we been discussing music outside of Motown on the main page for years now?
Why not just create separate threads titled by the artist you want to talk about or Non-Motown Music Appreciation Thread? You could do that here or in the Clubhouse and
avoid all of the panty bunching and wig tossing that goes on in, yes I'll say it, Supremes
threads...[[:......

soulster
10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
You keep repeating this, soulster, over the years:

still wish that the types of music discussed would be expanded and not concentrated on just Motown. I know that was the intended focus, but I think we have grown to the point where we can accept discussion of all types of music. If a separate forum for the discussion is needed, why not?
but haven't we been discussing music outside of Motown on the main page for years now?
Why not just create separate threads titled by the artist you want to talk about or Non-Motown Music Appreciation Thread? You could do that here or in the Clubhouse and
avoid all of the panty bunching and wig tossing that goes on in, yes I'll say it, Supremes
threads...[[:......

Heh! I know we are free to do that, but it seems like every time someone does, eventually, someone comes in and complains about it. I guess in some people's minds, the is place should be exclusively soul and Motown, and nothing but soul or Motown.

edafan
10-01-2016, 10:48 AM
As many of you know, I am not the originator of this website. Soulful Detroit is the brainchild of Lowell Boileau and David Meikle. I showed up in the very early days, at the invitation of David, to do a webisode on my former recording studios, Tera Shirma Sound. That was a long time back and David is no longer with us so Lowell and I continue.

Detroit

It has been a while now since I left Monterey California and even though I'm looking down the barrel of my fourth winter, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love Michigan and all the years away couldn't get the thought out of my mind that I was supposed to return someday. Besides, living in California and moderating a Detroit based music forum seemed somewhat off to me. Now my world is beginning to make sense.

Losses

This past year would bring another round of realities reminding us that we are not immortal and more of our favorite artists would pass. At the age of seventy four, I can, to a degree, accept the fact that these things are going to occur and occur with greater frequency. I'm not quite sure where I am in that line, but I know I'm getting towards the head and someday an angel is going to pull my hole-card and I'm toast.

I suppose out of all the forum losses over the years, there were two that seemed to hit me the hardest. Babbitt and The Count.

Babbitt

You really had to know the guy. When they say someone is "bigger than life", they are talking about Babbitt. We grew up together playing in bands. First, in the Detroit Teen Club system which gave valuable opportunities to us young musicians to showcase our bands, gain experience and make a little money. Local clubs and then "the road" would follow. The road taught us many things. Don't get too full of ourselves because we were, more than likely, going to get our asses kicked a few times while out there. It happens and it teaches you a few things.

And then the studio scene: Babbitt was all over the Detroit studio scene. At Tera Shirma, I could be in the front office while the guys for a recording date were drifting in. Through the closed studio door I could still hear Babbitt's boisterous laugh and feel glad he was around.

Babbitt would pass on the same day I would learn of the passing of my mother. Talk about a sucker punch.

The Count

His real name was Steve Gronas, but to us, he was, and always will be, The Count. He was a true music fan and brought much to Soulful Detroit's table. He had an interesting job. He was a specialty painter for the Ford Motor Company. He didn't just paint cars, he Painted them. The Count's work was seen in a multitude of auto shows around the world. The dude knew his work. One of these days I hope to fulfill a dream of mine and find a ‘57 Buick Roadmaster convertible and have it "done" by one of the talented car guys I see on television. The Count was going to paint it for me. Triple black. Top, interior and body. The Count’s talented mind took it a step further: midnight black with a hint of metallic violet deep within. Maybe some tasty pin striping. It was never to be though, but I know it would have rocked.

So here we are, gang. another year together. Each week I approve about ten new members, so it seems we are ever growing. Not perfect but I think we all try here to make it informative and friendly. It blows my mind that sixteen years have passed. Now this place is a part of my everyday life. Many thanks to you all for your many contributions here. I have always said I've learned more from the members here than all my years in this crazy business. Happy Birthday, Soulful Detroit.

Good job Ralphie

edafan

woodward
10-01-2016, 12:56 PM
This certainly proves how far the SDF has come since it's inception.

If it is possible, I would like to know the following:

At the end of the first year of operation, how many members were there from how many states?

Currently, how many members are there and from how many states? Do we have members in every state?

Would be interesting to know.

marv2
10-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Happy Birthday Soulful Detroit! Congratulations and thank you Ralph as you are just the absolute best!

ralpht
10-01-2016, 01:56 PM
I have always said that ALL music is welcomed here. Of course, Motown is revered here. But it is all interconnected..Jazz...Big Band...Doo Wop... R&B and Rock and Roll. We have learned things from all of these genres and, hopefully, grew musically. I want to see all music discussed at SD. Lest you guys forget, your moderator was a Rock and Roll piano player.

snakepit
10-01-2016, 02:09 PM
OK Ralph, bribe accepted....Sunliners' "All Alone" will be on the next Soulful Shack!

ralpht
10-01-2016, 02:40 PM
OK Ralph, bribe accepted....Sunliners' "All Alone" will be on the next Soulful Shack!

You're too kind, Snake. Actually I prefer the flip side "The Swingin' Kind. But who am I to hype you?

MIKEW-UK
10-01-2016, 04:01 PM
You do a brilliant job Ralph. All credit to you and Lowell... Best Wishes and Thanks Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyqypQx7Jo

MIKEW-UK
10-01-2016, 04:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7URBoXIu-k

MIKEW-UK
10-01-2016, 04:03 PM
I see Dennis and Mike's fingerprints all over this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYkG5jo5eS0

MIKEW-UK
10-01-2016, 04:22 PM
And here's a track you played synthesizer on... Creative Source from the album Migration....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glWfFi2oic

MIKEW-UK
10-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Migration [[Creative Source album)

I'm Gonna Get There" - [[Michael Stokes [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stokes_%28musician%29), Joe Thomas, Don Wyatt) 2:27
"Harlem" - [[Bill Withers [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Withers)) 4:57
"I Just Can't See Myself Without You"- [[Skip Scarborough [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Scarborough)) 7:30
"Keep On Movin'" - [[Michael Stokes, Joe Thomas, Skip Scarborough) 2:35
"Migration" - [[Michael Stokes, Joe Thomas) 4:22
"Corazon" - [[Carole King [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carole_King)) 4:41
"Let Me Be The One" - [[Paul Williams [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_%28songwriter%29), Roger Nichols [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Nichols_%28songwriter%29)) 3:27

Personnel

Clarence McDonald [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_McDonald), Michael Stokes [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stokes_%28musician%29), Skip Scarborough [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Scarborough) - Keyboards
Melvin "Wah-Wah Watson" Ragin [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_%22Wah-Wah_Watson%22_Ragin), Ray Parker Jr. [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Parker_Jr.) - Guitar
Kenneth "Spider" Rice - Drums
Ralph Terrana - Synthesizer
John Tradel - Horns
Carl Austin - Strings

Glenpwood
10-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Happy Birthday to Soulful Detroit and Thank You Ralph for all the love and hours you've poured into this site for the benefit of us all. I know it can be a thankless task at times but I'm glad you are here to guide us!

ralpht
10-01-2016, 04:57 PM
And here's a track you played synthesizer on... Creative Source from the album Migration....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glWfFi2oic

Mike, I have no memory of doing that date. Not that that is unusual.

ralpht
10-01-2016, 05:00 PM
I see Dennis and Mike's fingerprints all over this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYkG5jo5eS0

True, Mike. Dennis and Mike produced a final Sunliner album for MGM. Soon after the band would evolve into Rare Earth. The name given to them by Mike Theodore.

arr&bee
10-01-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm gonna be serious here for a moment..[Marv, Stu stop that snickering]Ralph you know how I feel about this place and about you my friend, although we may never have a face to face that's ok because I truly truly believe that you are a real and good dude, and I've said this before and I'm saying it again you let us be adults here..[although I try not to be one most of the time, hehe]I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...Oh the elephants are on the way!!!

ralpht
10-01-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm gonna be serious here for a moment..[Marv, Stu stop that snickering]Ralph you know how I feel about this place and about you my friend, although we may never have a face to face that's ok because I truly truly believe that you are a real and good dude, and I've said this before and I'm saying it again you let us be adults here..[although I try not to be one most of the time, hehe]I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...Oh the elephants are on the way!!!

Thank you arr&bee.You have always been an asset to the forum with your quirky humor and over all friendliness. You tend to brighten my day. Hell, I'm even getting used to the damn elephants.

Gives me a chance to say thanks to all the members. You're an interesting group of musically knowledgeable people. I'm proud to have your participation on the forum.

honest man
10-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Thank you arr&bee.You have always been an asset to the forum with your quirky humor and over all friendliness. You tend to brighten my day. Hell, I'm even getting used to the damn elephants.

Gives me a chance to say thanks to all the members. You're an interesting group of musically knowledgeable people. I'm proud to have your participation on the forum.Ralph you and the other guys do a tremendous job here,i tune in everyday mainly,it is perfect as it is,thank you sir.

soulster
10-02-2016, 03:03 PM
I have so much fun here and learn so much about music and life too at times, I'm very happy and proud to belong to this classic music forum run by a classy human being so many good folks here I wanna do a roll call but I might miss somebody but you're all my family although we might disagree about this or that, the internet would be very boring for me without this wonderful place, so happy birthday Soulful Detroit and here's to the next sixteen...

Hey man, this place wouldn't be SDF without you. Just back off the hooch a bit.:)

soulster
10-02-2016, 03:07 PM
If it is possible, I would like to know the following:

At the end of the first year of operation, how many members were there from how many states?

Currently, how many members are there and from how many states? Do we have members in every state?

Would be interesting to know.

From what i've been able to figure out, we have people from:

Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Illinois
New York
Ohio
California
Arizona
Washington
Connecticut
Nevada

marv2
10-02-2016, 06:11 PM

Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Illinois
New York
Ohio
California
Arizona
Washington
Connecticut
Nevada

add Michigan, Maryland, Jersey. The U.K., Canada and Spain could be added as well.

TomatoTom123
10-02-2016, 06:51 PM
add Michigan, Maryland, Jersey. The U.K., Canada and Spain could be added as well.

Woohoo, go UK! :)
[[England)

soulster
10-02-2016, 11:07 PM
add Michigan, Maryland, Jersey. The U.K., Canada and Spain could be added as well. Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: Michigan.

He specifically implied states, meaning the United States. That's why I didn't mention countries, or their states.

woodward
10-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Illinois
New York
Ohio
California
Arizona
Washington
Connecticut
Nevada

You can add DELAWARE to the list.

ralpht
10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I've been combing the back pages to see if I could find any information for you guys. Besides the varying States, what about nations? We just had a gentleman from China join us.

oldiesmusicfan
10-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I know you can add Pennsylvania to the list. And North Carolina if the person I was is contact with still lives in NC.

I recall we once had a thread that included a map and we had the ability to put a push-pin on the area where we live. Does anyone else remember this and would it still be in the archives if it was before the big melt-down?

Oldies

JimBagley
10-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Happy Birthday Soulful Detroit! I have never been able to post on a regular basis, but I try to chime in when I have time, as long as it is not about The Supremes [[my interview with Cindy Birdsong brought me lots of unwanted grief and I learned my lesson not to go near them again). Thanks to everyone who keep it about the music. I especially enjoy when people share first-hand information on the unsung but just as talented artists like Barbara Lewis, Jackie Moore, Margie Joseph, The Velvelettes, The Monitors, the Philly Int'l roster, etc, etc,.
Again, happy birthday Soulful Detroit! Long may you prosper. And thank you Ralph for all that you do.
Jim

marv2
10-03-2016, 02:24 PM
I've been combing the back pages to see if I could find any information for you guys. Besides the varying States, what about nations? We just had a gentleman from China join us.

I remember a couple of guys from the Netherlands from a while back.

marv2
10-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: Michigan.

He specifically implied states, meaning the United States. That's why I didn't mention countries, or their states.

No problem and sorry. But we could add Florida where Randy and his brother are.

robb_k
10-03-2016, 05:26 PM
We have Heikki from Finland, I am from The Netherlands, but also live in Munich , Germany, Alleroed, Denmark, Los Angeles, California and West Kildonan, Manitoba -and post from all those places at various times throughout the year. I think we have Davie Gordon from Scotland, Lars Nilsson from Sweden, I also post from Sweden and Belgium, and sometimes Austria.

robb_k
10-03-2016, 05:28 PM
I remember a couple of guys from the Netherlands from a while back.
Yeah! Robbert [[may he rest in peace) [[and another Robbert[[myself).

robb_k
10-03-2016, 05:32 PM
I know you can add Pennsylvania to the list. And North Carolina if the person I was is contact with still lives in NC.

I recall we once had a thread that included a map and we had the ability to put a push-pin on the area where we live. Does anyone else remember this and would it still be in the archives if it was before the big melt-down?

Oldies
Mike McLean moved to North Carolina, and made a few posts from there.

Doug-Morgan
10-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Robb......
....for some reason I thought you were from B.C.

Didn't we have [[or still have) a regular poster from Boise, Idaho? Can't remember his name, but I believe he worked at Boise State.

robb_k
10-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Robb......
....for some reason I thought you were from B.C.

Didn't we have [[or still have) a regular poster from Boise, Idaho? Can't remember his name, but I believe he worked at Boise State.
That's my OTHER namesake, Jobete Rob!

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others from Ontario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.

marv2
10-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Yeah! Robbert [[may he rest in peace) [[and another Robbert[[myself).

Yes I remember our friend Robbert, RIP.

marv2
10-03-2016, 06:34 PM

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others fromOntario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.

We have Mark Desjardines from Ottawa.

marv2
10-03-2016, 06:36 PM

From Canada, we have Jobete Rob from B.C., we had somebody from Alberta [[Calgary?), but he doesn't post anymore. No one from Saskatchewan, Me from Manitoba, The schoolteacher from Toronto, Ontario and we had a couple others fromOntario, The Music Professor from Montreal, Quebec, nobody from Prince Edward Island, nobody from Nova Scotia, nobody from Newfoundland, nobody from The Yukon, Nobody from Nunavut, and no one from The Northwest Territories, as far as I remember.

Robb, don't laugh but sometimes I listen to this radio station out of Nunavut. They play great 80s music. LOL

robb_k
10-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Robb, don't laugh but sometimes I listen to this radio station out of Nunavut. They play great 80s music. LOL
Do you get it only after sundown? Do the DJs announce the songs in Inuit or English?

marv2
10-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Do you get it only after sundown? Do the DJs announce the songs in Inuit or English?

No, I get it clear as a bell over the internet. I will post the link.

marv2
10-03-2016, 11:09 PM

No, I get it clear as a bell over the internet. It broadcasts out of Iqaluit, NU, Canada. Here's the link:

http://www.1035capitalfm.ca/

marv2
10-03-2016, 11:11 PM
The station is broadcast in English unlike the television station there that is a part of the CBC network that broadcast the news in Inuit.

JimBagley
10-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Marv, you know I am from Pennsylvania. I work across the street from where you used to live in Norristown. I realize I am very forgettable, but you should have remembered that.

Jim.

robb_k
10-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Marv, you know I am from Pennsylvania. I work across the street from where you used to live in Norristown. I realize I am very forgettable, but you should have remembered that.

Jim.
No one should have forgotten Pennsylvania, anyway, because we had Weldon McDougall and Bobby Eli from Philadelphia.

marv2
10-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Jim.

Jim, stop. Please! LOL! You know I have not forgotten you. I was randomly adding places to Soulster's list. I was not exactly finished.

robb_k
10-05-2016, 05:22 AM
I forgot to mention Ollie, who lives in Amsterdam [[Netherlands), but is a German.

HARRY DHESI
10-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Can't believe it's 15 years since I came over with David Meikle and met Lowell in Detroit. What great memories and all the wonderful people we met. The big highlight was the gravestone for Darrell Banks. So glad the site is still generating great topics. Hears to the next 15 years.
Harry Dhesi

ralpht
10-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Harry, so nice to hear from you. Don't be a stranger.

marv2
10-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Pennsylvania should be there with Jim Bagley and Russell Thompkins, Ceasar and me by default. LOL

144man
10-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Thank you for SDF.

Apart from the music, many thanks for giving us the freedom to talk about pretty much anything we want to in the clubhouse.

manny
10-06-2016, 07:28 AM
I don't have seen this thread until now!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND LONG LIVE TO THIS FANTASTIC FORUM

Is not the same than in the early years, there's not the same volume of posts as in the years I discovered this site when some times seems an authentic "chat" with dialogues in "real timing"!. I likes the humbly and the grata knowledge by some members as the webmaster / moderator Mr. Ralph Terrana, people with a high stuff on his background as musicians, producers,... the good feeling, the humor sense,... Today [[sadly or not) the applications as Wasapp, Twiter, Facebook, etc. are killing the more reasonable dialogues on a web forum where there's not a limit of words or characters and the speed and the urgency is not the philosophy, is first to think what we are saying before say it. There's the extra - value today for SFD, their survival against those dangers.

A great salute to Ralph and ALL.

An embrace to the gentlemen and kisses for the ladies! :-)

woodward
10-06-2016, 09:00 AM
And more important, Tammi Terrell was born in Philadelphia and died in Philadelphia.

manny
10-06-2016, 10:17 AM
And more important, Tammi Terrell was born in Philadelphia and died in Philadelphia.

And philly guitar player Roland Chambers was the musical director for both Tammi Terrell & Marvin Gaye...

JimBagley
10-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Pennsylvania should be there with Jim Bagley and Russell Thompkins, Ceasar and me by default. LOL

Yes, in that order.

arr&bee
10-08-2016, 05:32 PM
hey man, this place wouldn't be sdf without you. Just back off the hooch a bit.:)hey soulster...do you really want me runnin around here...s-o-b-e-r????

carlo
10-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Happy Bday SDF! :)

Motown Eddie
10-11-2016, 05:59 AM
A [Belated] Happy Birthday to the Soulful Detroit Forum. A great place for Soul Music fans to share their opinions, their memories and information about the music we love.

marv2
10-11-2016, 11:30 AM
You can add DELAWARE to the list.

We also have DJessie from Iceland!

mr_june
10-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Happy Birthday Soulful Detroit, Ralph and all members!

Jerry Oz
10-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Happy birthday SDF. I'm a latecomer, having found the site a few years ago while Googling one of my favorite bands from the 80s and finding an archived forum discussion about them. I joined the first day. I'm constantly in awe when I find out who some of my fellow posters are; I'm just a music lover.

Anyway, I wish I was around in the glory days but now that I'm retired, I stop by every afternoon and far into the night. If for nothing other than to keep the Word Association post fresh. This site is a blessing for me and that's because of the community. God bless you all and long live Soulful Detroit.

midnightman
10-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Has it really been 16 years? Wow. :)