PDA

View Full Version : The Four Seasons at Motown!?

test

TomatoTom123
09-28-2016, 12:23 PM
I am partial to bit of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, but I was as surprised as anyone to find out that they actually recorded for my all-time favourite label, Motown!

I believe that they were a bit washed up and desperate when they signed with Motown, and their time at the company was, unsurprisingly, quite brief and unsuccessful

So...
I was expecting nothing that they recorded at Motown to be even remotely good...

BUT!

"The Night" is a fantastic song [[especially that killer chorus), and a Northern Soul fave

I also really like their version of Brenda Holloway's "Just Look What You Have Done"

[[Although I really do not like their cover of "Baby, I Need Your Loving", there is something about "Just Look" that makes it every bit as brilliant as Brenda's [[fantastic) original version!)

Are there any other tracks that people would recommend?
And does anyone know more about The Four Seasons' time at Motown? 😀

luke
09-28-2016, 12:56 PM
There is a recent thread about this . Have to check out just look what you've done. Didn't know they recorded this. One of my fave songs!

arr&bee
09-28-2016, 01:03 PM
It seems that many legends[the four seasons included]recorded at motown towards the end of thier star making period..major lance-jerry butler,ect.

dickiemint
09-28-2016, 04:35 PM
There was a Hip o select release of the Four seasons Motown Years not sure if the CD is still available on Amazon
Frankie Valli recently said that they recorded the massive hit my eyes adored you while at Motown but it was unreleased so he took it with him when they left it was released and gave him his big comeback song

luke
09-28-2016, 05:13 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqexi5maQzk Frankie Vali. Just Look What you've done. Not bad but his range a bit limited. Brenda killed it.

TomatoTom123
09-28-2016, 05:13 PM
There was a Hip o select release of the Four seasons Motown Years not sure if the CD is still available on Amazon
Frankie Valli recently said that they recorded the massive hit my eyes adored you while at Motown but it was unreleased so he took it with him when they left it was released and gave him his big comeback song

Wow

I also believe that their HUGE hit "December 1965 [[Oh, What A Night)" was published under Jobete
But it was their first release after they left Motown [[with Warner Bros)
It became a US and UK Number One!

Oh, yes, I think there is a compilation album entitled 'The Motown Years'

Jimi LaLumia
09-28-2016, 05:14 PM
I believe that the Four Seasons "Who Loves You" and "December 63-Oh What a Night" were also recorded during their Motown stay

TomatoTom123
09-28-2016, 05:18 PM
I believe that the Four Seasons "Who Loves You" and "December 63-Oh What a Night" were also recorded during their Motown stay

Wow, so they were actually recorded when the group was signed to Motown
Never knew that, thanks Jimi LaLumia!

mysterysinger
09-28-2016, 08:25 PM
There are several useful threads already that relate to Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons time at Motown. They recorded many more tracks during that period that have not been released [[and probably never will be).

Did you know, however, that years later [[2007), Frankie Valli had another album released by Motown. This was "Romancing The 60s" - track list

1 Take Good Care Of My Baby
2 My Cherie Amour
3 Spanish Harlem
4 Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
5 Any Day Now
6 Let It Be Me
7 What A Wonderful World
8 Call Me
9 This Guy's In Love With You
10 Sunny
11 My Girl/Groovin'
12 What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
13 On Broadway [feat. The Jersey Boys]

Who said The Jersey Boys were "at the end of their star making period" by the time they recorded for Motown? No way. Most of their Motown output was sublime, if not successful, but they then went on to have even more huge pop hits afterwards. Washed up - not a chance - and still going.

TomatoTom123
09-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Wow, I didn't know that, thank yo...

I believe their only "success" at Motown was a 1975 British reissue of "The Night", which made #7 on the UK Charts [[which is actually very good) thanks to popularity from the Northern Soul scene

Motown did sign a lot of acts whose careers weren't where they used to be [[Tony Martin, Bobby Marin and even Wilson Pickett in the mid-'80s, Lol) but it seems that The Four Seasons' career was only ever at such a low point temporarily!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uqexi5maQzk Frankie Vali. Just Look What you've done. Not bad but his range a bit limited. Brenda killed it.

Yea, of course
It is and always will be Brenda's song! but I like the uptempo vibes [[lol) and the lush instrumentation of Frankie's version

honest man
09-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Wow, I didn't know that, thank yo...

I believe their only "success" at Motown was a 1975 British reissue of "The Night", which made #7 on the UK Charts [[which is actually very good) thanks to popularity from the Northern Soul scene

Motown did sign a lot of acts whose careers weren't where they used to be [[Tony Martin, Bobby Marin and even Wilson Pickett in the mid-'80s, Lol) but it seems that The Four Seasons' career was only ever at such a low point temporarily!

Yea, of course
It is and always will be Brenda's song! but I like the uptempo vibes [[lol) and the lush instrumentation of Frankie's version Tom you should get Motown Sessions very good if only for the song HOW COME it's lovely ,ave a listen .cheers.and welcome here by the way

TomatoTom123
09-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Tom you should get Motown Sessions very good if only for the song HOW COME it's lovely ,ave a listen .cheers.and welcome here by the way

Thank you, honest man!!

mysterysinger
09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Official Motown CDs [[there has been at least one bootleg that is still available). Also worth noting that a couple of the unreleased Motown tracks are available on YouTube [[I provided links on a previous thread).

mysterysinger
09-29-2016, 01:36 PM
"Love Isn't Here [[Like It Used To Be)" has to be one of my favourite all time Motown records from anyone. If you've never heard it - here's a treat for you [[be patient because it's a builder)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HheVAtePVzo

TomatoTom123
10-01-2016, 06:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSoDsxB7Yo&app=desktop

"And the night begins to turn your head around..."

luke
10-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Never heard it. I like it! Thanks. Was it released in US?

TomatoTom123
10-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Never heard it. I like it! Thanks. Was it released in US?

I believe that in America it was scheduled for release on MoWest [[as MW 5025) in August of 1972. In Great Britain it was actually released [[also on MoWest, as MW 3002).

In 1975 it was reissued in Britain [[as MW 3024) due to demand from Northern Soul DJs, and made #7 on the UK Charts!!

mysterysinger
10-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons on Tamla Motown

longtimefan
10-05-2016, 01:44 AM
Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons ‎– The Motown Years
Label: Hip-O Select ‎– B0010777-02
Format: 2 × CD, Compilation
Released: 2008

Tracklist
1 A New Beginning [[Prelude)
2 Sun Country
3 You're A Song [[That I Can't Sing)
4 The Night
5 When The Morning Comes
6 Poor Fool
7 Touch The Rainchild
8 Love Isn't Here [[Like It Used To Be)
9 Walk On, Don't Look Back
10 How Come?
11 Life & Breath
12 HIckory
13 Charisma [[Unedited Version)
14 Charisma [[Single Version)
15 Just Look What You've Done
16 Love Isn't Here [[Like It Used To Be)
17 Baby I Need Your Loving
18 Inside You
19 Thank You
20 Hickory
21 Life & Breath
22 The Night
23 With My Eyes Wide Open
24 You've Got Your Troubles
25 Listen To Yesterday
26 The Scalawag Song [[And I Will Love You)