PDA

View Full Version : getTV - Smokey

test

marybrewster
09-27-2016, 09:26 AM
For those interested, getTV will be airing the 1970 "Smokey Robinson Special" on Monday, October 10th. Check your local listings.

The Smokey Robinson Show

1970 | Featuring The Supremes, The Temptations, And Stevie Wonder

reese
09-27-2016, 09:29 AM
This is great news. It is good to see that Get TV has added some new classic specials to their channel, as some of them have aired quite a few times. I just wonder how much of this show will be edited out. Commercial breaks weren't as long back then.

arr&bee
09-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Isn't it amazing for us who were young back then that although it's seems like yesterday to some of us,it was fourty six years ago...a great special a good year[1970].

marv2
09-27-2016, 03:22 PM
For those interested, getTV will be airing the 1970 "Smokey Robinson Special" on Monday, October 10th. Check your local listings.

The Smokey Robinson Show

1970 | Featuring The Supremes, The Temptations, And Stevie Wonder

Excellent! Great. Thank you.

marv2
09-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Isn't it amazing for us who were young back then that although it's seems like yesterday to some of us,it was fourty six years ago...a great special a good year[1970].

You so right. I remember watching it when it originally aired not long before Christmas that year.

johnny_raven
09-27-2016, 03:48 PM
DirecTV doesn't have GetTV :[[

arr&bee
09-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Hey johnny,if you have one of those antenna's that you get from cvs,you can get-get tv[no pun intended]

Luciano
09-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Isn't this also on YouTube? I think it has the block letters in the middle but still good to watch.

marv2
09-27-2016, 04:26 PM
DirecTV doesn't have GetTV :[[

Dish TV does carry it.

marv2
09-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Isn't this also on YouTube? I think it has the block letters in the middle but still good to watch.

But wouldn't it be great to see it in excellent quality without the tracking numbers and letter in the middle of it?

johnny_raven
09-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Hey johnny,if you have one of those antenna's that you get from cvs,you can get-get tv[no pun intended]

Thanks for the tip!

Wait! ... Antenna? What decade are we in? LOL

arr&bee
09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Hey johnny,i'm the comedian here[just messin wit cha]it's one of those new ones that you connect to the back of the tv,and it actually works too!!

marv2
09-27-2016, 08:05 PM
I have to get a clear copy of this show! You hear me everyone ? LOL!

Luciano
09-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Yes we hear you Marv! LOL Your right as this is an excellent special.

marv2
10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Is there anyone planning on taping this special?

marv2
10-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Anyone here get GetTV?

danman869
10-10-2016, 08:39 PM
I get the channel, but my on-screen directory says:

SMOKEY ROBINSON - Musical - A look at the singer-songwriter's career includes interviews with Motown founder Berry Gordy, Luther Vandross, Linda Ronstadt, Anita Baker, Terence Trent D'Arby and ABC.

Does not mention a year, but I'd say it's from the late 80s or maybe early 90s? It doesn't indicate that this is the 1970 "Smokey Robinson Show" that we've been talking about here. I'd love to see the 1970 variety show air, but I have a feeling it may not be what we thought.

MaryBrewster, where did you get your info that it was the 1970 special?

danman869
10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
MaryB--scratch my question, I just went to the getTV website and THAT site describes the 1970 special. I'm going to record it just in case it really is the 1970 show. Anything is possible since the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour has been airing weekdays at 5PM PT.

marv2
10-10-2016, 08:56 PM
MaryB--scratch my question, I just went to the getTV website and THAT site describes the 1970 special. I'm going to record it just in case it really is the 1970 show. Anything is possible since the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour has been airing weekdays at 5PM PT.

Danman869 if you do tape it, I would love to get a copy. It is suppose air at 9pm EST so in just a few minutes.

marv2
10-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I get the channel, but my on-screen directory says:

SMOKEY ROBINSON - Musical - A look at the singer-songwriter's career includes interviews with Motown founder Berry Gordy, Luther Vandross, Linda Ronstadt, Anita Baker, Terence Trent D'Arby and ABC.

Does not mention a year, but I'd say it's from the late 80s or maybe early 90s? It doesn't indicate that this is the 1970 "Smokey Robinson Show" that we've been talking about here. I'd love to see the 1970 variety show air, but I have a feeling it may not be what we thought.

MaryBrewster, where did you get your info that it was the 1970 special?

I checked the website too and describes the 1970 Tv special.

danman869
10-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Yes, it's the 1970 special. Doesn't look as crisp as I would've hoped, but... as we've said, it's good to have/see it without a timing bar in the middle of the screen.

I don't even know if I'll be able to get it off my TiVo and onto my iMac, Marv. I'll let you know.

marv2
10-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Yes, it's the 1970 special. Doesn't look as crisp as I would've hoped, but... as we've said, it's good to have/see it without a timing bar in the middle of the screen.

I don't even know if I'll be able to get it off my TiVo and onto my iMac, Marv. I'll let you know.

Thank you Dan! Boy I wished I got GetTV! LOL!

BayouMotownMan
10-10-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm watching it now. Ironically everyone was in good voice...except Smokey. When he sang with Jean you could really hear he didn't sound good. His voice cracked during the medley of hits he did with the Miracles.

danman869
10-10-2016, 09:55 PM
It's not a surprise that the show was edited for time [[more commercials in 2016!), but I just realized they edited out the dialogue amongst all the groups [[and the showing of Cindy Birdsong's baby picture!) before they sang the big medley of Smokey's songs in casual clothes sitting down on the set. It's too bad this can't be released on DVD or Blu-Ray. It's definitely colorful and entertaining.

marv2
10-11-2016, 12:14 AM
It's not a surprise that the show was edited for time [[more commercials in 2016!), but I just realized they edited out the dialogue amongst all the groups [[and the showing of Cindy Birdsong's baby picture!) before they sang the big medley of Smokey's songs in casual clothes sitting down on the set. It's too bad this can't be released on DVD or Blu-Ray. It's definitely colorful and entertaining.

Well just to have a copy of it with out the big timing strip would be worth it. I remember watching it on television around a week or so before Christmas 1970. I asked my cousin and brother yesterday and they just can't remember it. It's been 46 years since it's been on television which I find amazing in itself. They never repeated it back in the 70s.

greg jones
10-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Well just to have a copy of it with out the big timing strip would be worth it. I remember watching it on television around a week or so before Christmas 1970. I asked my cousin and brother yesterday and they just can't remember it. It's been 46 years since it's been on television which I find amazing in itself. They never repeated it back in the 70s.

You got that right, just to have copy of it is fantastic.

This was a syndicated special back in 1970 and I was surprised to learn by the closing credits that it wasn't a Motown produced special. Because it was syndicated it aired different days and times throughout the country depending on the stations that purchased it. I believe that it did air over a like an 18 month period, so could have been repeated depending on the markets. I was living in St. Louis during that time and i think it aired in our area early in 1971. I remember when it did air, i got home to late to see the 1st half hour, so only saw the section with all of them sitting around and singing at the end.

It was nice to see the whole show. As far it not looking as crisp, I think that is because you were looking at it on cable and the company was compressing that station further. I am watching it in Los Angeles on TWC/Charter Spectrum cable and it definitely was compressed further.

I was happy to see that this special was not lip synching to the originals and were specially recorded for the special.

marv2
10-11-2016, 12:35 AM
You got that right, just to have copy of it is fantastic.

This was a syndicated special back in 1970 and I was surprised to learn by the closing credits that it wasn't a Motown produced special. Because it was syndicated it aired different days and times throughout the country depending on the stations that purchased it. I believe that it did air over a like an 18 month period, so could have been repeated depending on the markets. I was living in St. Louis during that time and i think it aired in our area early in 1971. I remember when it did air, i got home to late to see the 1st half hour, so only saw the section with all of them sitting around and singing at the end.

It was nice to see the whole show. As far it not looking as crisp, I think that is because you were looking at it on cable and the company was compressing that station further. I am watching it in Los Angeles on TWC/Charter Spectrum cable and it definitely was compressed further.

I was happy to see that this special was not lip synching to the originals and were specially recorded for the special.

Greg, how was the audio? Was it good?

greg jones
10-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Greg, how was the audio? Was it good?

The audio was great, but of course, mono!

greg jones
10-11-2016, 01:06 AM
Hmmm... Looks like i was wrong on one thing. It was a network special on ABC and aired Dec 18, 1970. When i saw it in 1971, it was late at night around 11:30pm and on an independent station in St. Louis. Now it might be that the local ABC station in St. Louis declined to air it in the original slot. Or could have been syndicated afterwards.

The other that is interesting is that Berry Gordy's name is nowhere in the credits. The copyright at the end is missing, but the Screen Gems logo comes up. So not sure who owns this special.

marv2
10-11-2016, 02:39 AM
Hmmm... Looks like i was wrong on one thing. It was a network special on ABC and aired Dec 18, 1970. When i saw it in 1971, it was late at night around 11:30pm and on an independent station in St. Louis. Now it might be that the local ABC station in St. Louis declined to air it in the original slot. Or could have been syndicated afterwards.

The other that is interesting is that Berry Gordy's name is nowhere in the credits. The copyright at the end is missing, but the Screen Gems logo comes up. So not sure who owns this special.

I have a copy that has the timing strip. They had some major sponsors.

danman869
10-11-2016, 11:35 AM
As far it not looking as crisp, I think that is because you were looking at it on cable and the company was compressing that station further. I am watching it in Los Angeles on TWC/Charter Spectrum cable and it definitely was compressed further.

Greg, I was watching it on Frontier FiOS down in Long Beach, CA, and you have a good point about compression. It definitely isn't an HD channel [[GetTV) either, so that isn't there to help. I could live with the compression if only they hadn't edited it for more 2016 commercials. That's a disappointment! It'd be great if this were somehow able to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray. Someone obviously has the original master copy if it was available to be aired on Get.

I agree about the performances all being recorded [[and/or performed live) for the special. Sometimes the lead singer had a mic to sing live to [[presumably) pre-recorded backup vocals and track, but other times they were all lip-syncing.

My one question is why was Fran Jeffries on this show? I know she was a [[capable) singer, but it sort of throws off the Motown "family" concept. If only Brenda Holloway had still been with Motown in 1970, I bet she would've been the solo female artist on the show doing Fran's part!

OH! And amongst Stevie Wonder's large collective of Wonderlove onstage with him at one point, I was pretty sure I saw Syreeta standing towards the right of the "Love-line"! I also thought it was Sherlie Matthews standing on the far left. Anyone able to identify all those ladies?

reese
10-11-2016, 12:08 PM
OH! And amongst Stevie Wonder's large collective of Wonderlove onstage with him at one point, I was pretty sure I saw Syreeta standing towards the right of the "Love-line"! I also thought it was Sherlie Matthews standing on the far left. Anyone able to identify all those ladies?

I can't identify them all. But in addition to the women you listed, I also saw Venetta Fields, Gloria Jones, and Clydie King.

marv2
10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Greg, I was watching it on Frontier FiOS down in Long Beach, CA, and you have a good point about compression. It definitely isn't an HD channel [[GetTV) either, so that isn't there to help. I could live with the compression if only they hadn't edited it for more 2016 commercials. That's a disappointment! It'd be great if this were somehow able to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray. Someone obviously has the original master copy if it was available to be aired on Get.

I agree about the performances all being recorded [[and/or performed live) for the special. Sometimes the lead singer had a mic to sing live to [[presumably) pre-recorded backup vocals and track, but other times they were all lip-syncing.

My one question is why was Fran Jeffries on this show? I know she was a [[capable) singer, but it sort of throws off the Motown "family" concept. If only Brenda Holloway had still been with Motown in 1970, I bet she would've been the solo female artist on the show doing Fran's part!

Regarding Fran Jeffries. She was there for the same reasons Motown had Adam Ant on Motown 25 and Kaye Stevens on the Temptations Special. To widen the demographics of the audience. That was their thinking I am sure of it.

greg jones
10-11-2016, 02:19 PM

danman, i'm sure it wasn't GetTV that compressed the video, it was the cable or Fios providers. We get many other sub channels here on TWC, like AntennaTV, and those are NOT compressed. I discovered it because the programmes leading in and following it were also compressed. They do that to get more channels in and do it the stations that are probably watched the least. I would have loved to be check via regular antenna.

As far as Fran Jeffries, I'll just bet that it was ABC that requested someone outside Motown. Probably not specifically Fran, but allowed them to partially choose.

i, too, wished they would have edited it. But they have to pay for programmes. I'm just happy to see that some Variety shows and specials are getting re-aired.

carole cucumber
10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Greg,........ It'd be great if this were somehow able to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray. Someone obviously has the original master copy if it was available to be aired on Get......

About Us

Anchored by Sony Pictures Entertainment’s vast library, getTV is a national TV network featuring your favorite action, crime, comedy and western TV series and movies from all eras. Visit www.get.tv [[http://www.get.tv/) to learn more.

greg jones
10-11-2016, 08:09 PM
About Us

Anchored by Sony Pictures Entertainment’s vast library, getTV is a national TV network featuring your favorite action, crime, comedy and western TV series and movies from all eras. Visit www.get.tv [[http://www.get.tv/) to learn more.

Carole, imdb database shows that the production companies were: Jackie Barnett Productions [[exec producer), Motown Productions and Screen Gems. Screen Gems is, of course, owned by Sony/Columbia Pictures. Motown Productions was sold by Mr. Gordy to Suzanne DePasse and is now called West Grand Media, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who owns Jackie Barnett Prods. Since GetTV is owned by Sony/Columbia/ScreenGems that was a big leg up on getting permission to air.

Besides those obstacles in getting a DVD is the contracts of the musicians who did the soundtrack. That is one of the main reasons that Variety Shows don't get re-aired much. The residuals that the musicians get are very expensive, if their original contracts even ALLOW it to be re-issued or re-aired at all. Contract negotiations on Live Audio is a different animal all together! Many times they have to be re-negotiated with the musicians. The more people involved, the more chances that some have passed on and trying to get everyone's approval is nearly impossible.

marv2
10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Carole, imdb database shows that the production companies were: Jackie Barnett Productions [[exec producer), Motown Productions and Screen Gems. Screen Gems is, of course, owned by Sony/Columbia Pictures. Motown Productions was sold by Mr. Gordy to Suzanne DePasse and is now called West Grand Media, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who owns Jackie Barnett Prods. Since GetTV is owned by Sony/Columbia/ScreenGems that was a big leg up on getting permission to air.

Besides those obstacles in getting a DVD is the contracts of the musicians who did the soundtrack. That is one of the main reasons that Variety Shows don't get re-aired much. The residuals that the musicians get are very expensive, if their original contracts even ALLOW it to be re-issued or re-aired at all. Contract negotiations on Live Audio is a different animal all together! Many times they have to be re-negotiated with the musicians. The more people involved, the more chances that some have passed on and trying to get everyone's approval is nearly impossible.

Did you record it Greg. Did they keep all of the songs in from the original broadcast?

BayouMotownMan
10-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Fran Jeffries was on the show because Gordy had either signed her and did nothing or was considering signing her, I can't recall which. The TV special on GET was heavily butchered. Gone is Jeffries number, the dialogue before the Smokey Medley and Smokey's closing solo number.

This show was filmed four or five months before it aired just before Christmas 1970. Tears of A Clown had not yet been issued here as a single. It explains why the Miracles didn't perform it, why the Supremes didn't do Stoned Love or why Stevie didn't do Heaven Help Us All.

This was supposed to be Smokey's send off into a solo career much as the TV specials for Diana were designed to showcase her for solo success. Unfortunately the special was not a ratings success, airing on the third rated ABC network. Clearly Robinson was uncomfortable with dialogue and just didn't have the charisma to carry the show as host. He was not in good voice either. Because Tears Of A Clown came out as a massive hit just before the airing of this show, Gordy had Robinson stay on with the Miracles for another couple years even though he didn't want to.

It's speculative if Pete Moore was really injured and couldn't do the show. There were ways around that type of thing. Robinson wrote in his bio that he was having trouble with Pete over royalties and none of the guys were happy about Smokey leaving.

Jean Terrell was in fine voice. She looked great as well. The lineup of Jean, Mary and Cindy was such an attractive group of women who had so much potential. Cindy had slimmed down and was gorgeous. Don't you love her leading on the brief snippet of Don't Mess With Bill? My only complaint with this appearance is the use of the familiar Diana Ross gowns. Mary's wearing Diana's green gown during Ladder threw the look off. Jean squeezed into Diana's gold pants while Mary and Cindy wore their red, but those bows were horrific.

Stevie was frenetic as ever but this is one of the best live versions of Signed, Sealed Delivered that he did. I think Syreeta was one of the girls to his left that got no camera time.

Temptations stole the show and got a standing ovation. Eddie was not on key for the beginning of Get Ready but still they were an awesome act.

All in all, it's a good show that needs to get a DVD release.

marv2
10-11-2016, 08:50 PM
I wonder why they did not use the Jackson Five on the special.

BayouMotownMan
10-11-2016, 08:52 PM
The Jackson 5 and Diana Ross were far too hot to get second billing to anyone. I think instead of Jeffries, Gladys and the Pips should have been on that show

marv2
10-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Kiki Dee would have made more sense.

greg jones
10-11-2016, 09:44 PM
marv2, yes i did dvr part of it. unfortunately we had some power issues in the area and i didn't get the whole thing.

BayouMotownMan, thanx for the info on Fran Jeffries, that's very interesting. It is amazing how many entertainers that had success other places were signed by Motown that Berry never got hits out of while he had them.

Yes, I heartily agree with You, that the specials, TCB, On Broadway and Goin' Back To Indiana in addition to this Smokey Special need DVD Release.

Do you why George Schlatter wasn't used to Produce as he did with the other Motown Production Specials ?

marv2
10-11-2016, 10:19 PM
marv2, yes i did dvr part of it. unfortunately we had some power issues in the area and i didn't get the whole thing.

BayouMotownMan, thanx for the info on Fran Jeffries, that's very interesting. It is amazing how many entertainers that had success other places were signed by Motown that Berry never got hits out of while he had them.

Yes, I heartily agree with You, that the specials, TCB, On Broadway and Goin' Back To Indiana in addition to this Smokey Special need DVD Release.

Do you why George Schlatter wasn't used to Produce as he did with the other Motown Production Specials ?

I wonder if they are going to repeat it again throughout the month. I don't get GetTV on my cable system so I am not familiar with the network. I love to have a copy of the show by the way.

arr&bee
10-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Anyone here get GetTV?YEP I [GET]IT.HEHEHE...MY WIFE BOUGHT IT...[heck the aluminum foil I use in the shed works for me]BUT I ENJOY IT CAUSE I CAN GET SOME WESTERNS.

marv2
10-12-2016, 08:02 PM
YEP I [GET]IT.HEHEHE...MY WIFE BOUGHT IT...[heck the aluminum foil I use in the shed works for me]BUT I ENJOY IT CAUSE I CAN GET SOME WESTERNS.

We have a channel that shows a lot of the old TV Westerns called "Antenna TV".

arr&bee
10-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Got that one too!!

sansradio
12-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Bump: Fran Jeffries has died at age 79:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/fran-jeffries-an-actress-who-performed-a-sexy-samba-in-the-pink-panther-dies-at-79.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobit uaries&action=

Luciano
12-21-2016, 02:56 PM
May she rest in peace. Wow didn't know Zoe was her granddaughter.

sansradio
12-21-2016, 03:08 PM
May she rest in peace. Wow didn't know Zoe was her granddaughter.

I'm not familiar with her granddaughter. Should I be?

marv2
12-21-2016, 03:18 PM
I really enjoyed her on the TV Special. She was very talented. Rest in peace Fran.......thank you~!

Marv

marv2
12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Does any have a copy of the special that they taped from GetTV?

sansradio
12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
I really enjoyed her on the TV Special. She was very talented. Rest in peace Fran.......thank you~!

Marv

I enjoyed her here, too; she was a real spitfire!

greg jones
12-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Yes, Rest in Peace, Fran Jeffries. I loved her italian number in the Pink Panther, Meglio Sestera. That is only available on the Henry Mancini box set.

Additionally, for a time, she was Bernie Taupin's Mother-In Law. Fran's Daughter, Stephanie Haymes was married to Bernie and they had a restaurant/night club in Downtown LA. Can't recall the name. It was mostly as jazz club.

greg jones
Long Beach, CA

sansradio
12-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Yes, Rest in Peace, Fran Jeffries. I loved her italian number in the Pink Panther, Meglio Sestera. That is only available on the Henry Mancini box set.

Additionally, for a time, she was Bernie Taupin's Mother-In Law. Fran's Daughter, Stephanie Haymes was married to Bernie and they had a restaurant/night club in Downtown LA. Can't recall the name. It was mostly as jazz club.

greg jones
Long Beach, CA

I did not know about the Bernie Taupin connection! Thanks.

Luciano
12-21-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm not familiar with her granddaughter. Should I be?

I apologize for this error, I confused the granddaughter's name with actress Zoe Saldana.

sansradio
12-21-2016, 11:59 PM
Luciano, I wondered if that's what you'd thought!:D