PDA

View Full Version : RIP Buckwheat Zydeco

test

daviddesper
09-25-2016, 11:42 PM
This is a name I have only seen in print and do not really know that much about, but from what I can tell, he was influential in the development of the Zydeco scene in the New Orleans area. Don't know any more details...it just made my local paper today.

carlo
09-26-2016, 06:46 AM
So sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing. He was certainly a huge talent. My Dad saw him once in concert, I believe he was opening for Eric Clapton and apparently he stole the show! Rest in peace.

splanky
10-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Buckwhet Zydeco was the truth! He and Clifton Chenier really produced the best of that
Cajun music genre and made me appreciate an instrument I used to not really care for:
the accordian. They did that by showing me that it could be played HOT and could be played
as percussively as the Hammond B 3. So much music came out of New Orleans it's almost
a sin. RIP, Buckwheat...

destruction
11-09-2016, 11:09 AM
I started listening to Cajun and Zydeco after my Blues awakening in the late 80's and I began stocking up on Buckwheat and Clifton, among a few others.

WPFW added an hour of Cajun music. My youngest granddaughter became a fan because she previously liked rockabilly and bluegrass and said that they sounded similar. I never noticed until she said it.

dennis_coffey
12-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Buckwheat played B3 organ behind me when I played in New Orleans. We did some serious funk that night.

MIKEW-UK
12-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Buckwheat's fine version of George Perkins & The Silver Stars 'Cryin' In The Streets'...

Play it loud. No computer / auto tuning - just pure talent. What a loss to Zydeco music and New Orleans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOHv4fBabs