PDA

View Full Version : RE: new Supremes comp-Baby Love/Essential

test

ejluther
09-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Anyone have this 2016 release yet? If so, how is the sound quality, artwork, booklet, etc.?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KJ4A1VY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The apparent tracklist is varied if nothing else, but no "Stop..."?;

1. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
2. BABY LOVE
3. YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE
4. COME SEE ABOUT ME
5. BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN
6. BUTTERED POPCORN
7. YOUR HEART BELONGS TO ME
8. LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY
9. A BREATHTAKING GUY
10. NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES
11. WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES
12. YOU CAN'T DO THAT
13. BABY DOLL
14. CHAIN GANG
15. BEACH BALL
16. THE BOY FROM IPANEMA
17. UNCHAINED MELODY
18. THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING
19. BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING
CD 2
1. YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON
2. LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART
3. THIS OLD HEART OF MINE [[IS WEAK FOR YOU)
4. GOING DOWN FOR THE THIRD TIME
5. [[LOVE IS LIKE A) HEATWAVE
6. THE HAPPENING
7. REFLECTIONS
8. ODE TO BILLIE JOE
9. FOREVER CAME TODAY
10. HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU
11. DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
12. LOVE CHILD
13. DOES YOUR MAMA KNOW ABOUT ME
14. HONEY BEE [[KEEP ON STINGING ME)
15. EVERYDAY PEOPLE
16. NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE
17. I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME
18. STORMY
19. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER
CD 3
1. UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF
2. I GOT HURT [[TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE)
3. STONED LOVE
4. NA NA HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE
5. NATHAN JONES
6. JOHNNY RAVEN
7. OVER AND OVER
8. FLOY JOY
9. BAD WEATHER
10. I KEEP IT HID
11. 5.30 PLANE
12. THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG [[IT'S IN HIS KISS)
13. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE
14. EARLY MORNING LOVE
15. HE'S MY MAN
16. I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING
17. HIGH ENERGY
18. YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL
19. LET YOURSELF GO
20. LOVE I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD FEEL SO GOOD

RossHolloway
09-23-2016, 09:51 AM
That's actually a pretty good track list. Looks like an actual fan put the list together.

johnny_raven
09-23-2016, 01:40 PM
No STOP?

Darn it! It's the only Supremes song I don't have in my collection! :)

mowsville
09-23-2016, 06:08 PM
how can it be the essential when its missing SITNOL...IHAS...MWIEWY..IAOOL...STYNGUT etc etc.

TomatoTom123
09-23-2016, 06:23 PM
how can it be the essential when its missing SITNOL...IHAS...MWIEWY..IAOOL...STYNGUT etc etc.

LOL, took me AGES to figure out what songs you meant!! :)

luke
09-23-2016, 06:26 PM
All of em came to mind right away except for iaool and styngut which I'm sure I will kick myself for shortly! Lol

JohnnyB
09-23-2016, 08:21 PM

IGMYLM and LIHANYG are also missing [[have fun figuring these out-lol). Quite an unusual collection...

theboyfromxtown
09-24-2016, 05:26 AM
The Young Folks is included......Thanks Wayne

wedgeville
09-24-2016, 06:47 AM
The Young Folks is included......Thanks Wayne

Seems funny that the first two discs are Diana Ross and the Supremes, yet the track "Everyday People" on disc 2 is actually the Jean/Levi lead, and there is no mention of the Four Tops.

An Essential without Stop!, Symphony, My World Is Empty?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

Wayne

ejluther
09-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Seems funny that the first two discs are Diana Ross and the Supremes, yet the track "Everyday People" on disc 2 is actually the Jean/Levi lead, and there is no mention of the Four Tops.

An Essential without Stop!, Symphony, My World Is Empty?

Wayne
So you have this? What's the artwork/booklet like? How's the sound quality?

if you don't have this, how do you know "Everyday People" isn't the version off Let The Sunshine In with Diana on lead?

mysterysinger
09-24-2016, 11:09 AM
£5.85 on Ebay.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIANA-ROSS-THE-SUPREMES-BABY-LOVE-THE-ESSENTIAL-3-CD-NEW-RELEASE-2016-/131932601758?hash=item1eb7cbbd9e:g:kEgAAOSwdIFX0WP H

Mark Desjardines
09-24-2016, 05:02 PM
On a facebook discussion there is a comment about the lack of a booklet. Amazingly one of the reviews on the Amazon site complained that this set was NOT the original group. Perhaps the reviewer listened to the disc with the Jean Terrell led vocals, not aware of the 2nd incarnation of the group and felt ripped off!

dickiemint
09-24-2016, 07:39 PM
This CD is on offer in Asda [[ UK 's Wal-Mart ) In their £5 each or 2 for £9 it's a bargain if you haven't got these l.p. tracks on CD

ejluther
09-24-2016, 10:21 PM
On a facebook discussion there is a comment about the lack of a booklet. Amazingly one of the reviews on the Amazon site complained that this set was NOT the original group. Perhaps the reviewer listened to the disc with the Jean Terrell led vocals, not aware of the 2nd incarnation of the group and felt ripped off!
That review is from 2010 so it's about a different CD altogether - Amazon is not great about reviews matching the correct product. Where is the FB discussion taking place?

wedgeville
09-25-2016, 01:55 AM
So you have this? What's the artwork/booklet like? How's the sound quality?

if you don't have this, how do you know "Everyday People" isn't the version off Let The Sunshine In with Diana on lead?

Hi, yes I have it, not bad for the price, but there is no booklet, and only 2 pics - the front cover with DMF and the inner cover with DMC. No Jean, Linda etc. etc. etc.

On disc 2, sandwiched in between "Honey Bee" and "No Matter What Sign" is the 70's version of "Everyday People".

There is a mix up with the reviews on Amazon, they even offered me the free download a couple of weeks ago, but it's not the same set.

Wayne

mysterysinger
09-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Amazon have been extremely poor in the run up to the release of this set and I suspect they will have lost Universal/Spectrum/Motown a lot of sales as a result.

ejluther
09-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Hi, yes I have it, not bad for the price, but there is no booklet, and only 2 pics - the front cover with DMF and the inner cover with DMC. No Jean, Linda etc. etc. etc.

On disc 2, sandwiched in between "Honey Bee" and "No Matter What Sign" is the 70's version of "Everyday People".

There is a mix up with the reviews on Amazon, they even offered me the free download a couple of weeks ago, but it's not the same set.

Wayne

thanks for the info - weird about Everyday People...

franjoy56
09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Does anyone hsve t earlier version the supremes the baby love collection 30 tracks i just ordered it

longtimefan
09-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Does anyone hsve t earlier version the supremes the baby love collection 30 tracks i just ordered it

Is this the previous BABY LOVE:COLLECTION you are referring to? It has only 20 tracks. I hope that this helps.

mistercarter2u
10-07-2016, 09:41 AM
I am actually impressed with the sound of his set. It seems to me that the songs are mixed with a heavier bottom beat... perhaps the bass and drums have been brought forward a little bit. Does anyone else notice this?

I also find it interesting that the compilers used a version of "Buttered Popcorn" other than the single take featured on many previous comps. I believe there may be alternate takes a couple of the other tracks as well, though I am not sure. I have not had time to listen all that closely yet.

I wasn't planning to buy yet another Supremes comp, but I saw this one, thought the line-up of tracks looked interesting, and went for it. I am glad I did. The sound is really good on this one, and a few lesser-known and seldom-compiled tracks [["Baby Doll" for instance) are included.
Well worth the $10 I paid on Amazon. [[I also got the "Essential" Dusty Springfield set, issued at the same time, though I have not yet played it.)

Ron

franjoy56
10-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I got this in the mail and iam very happy w the soud quality i got it used 3.00 plus 3.48 s and h. It has a mix of ross and jean terel leads great find esp w snsset bah bah bah and misery and it time to breadown included

daviddesper
10-12-2016, 11:48 PM
I just finished listening to mine and was very pleased with the sound quality and track selection. I also bought Dusty from the same series, but as an early Christmas present for someone. Wouldn't mind seeing some follow-up sets. I can think of another dozen or so Motown acts that could easily fill up three CDs. At these prices, I would think they would be popular. I don't care about getting a booklet.