PDA

View Full Version : Rick James: Bustin' Out of L7 vs. Street Songs

test

soulster
08-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Which album do you prefer?

Both albums are considered by most RJ fans as the best two he's ever done. But, if you had to pick one, which would you prefer?

"Bustin' Out" wins for it's sheer musicianship and creativity, and "Street Songs" for it's frank subject matter and funky sounds.

You can only pick one.

Feel free to discuss the albums.

paladin
08-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Street Songs was the Ultimate Rick James release bar none. He had perfected his craft and had a take no prisoners attitude about it. He was at the top of his game and folks had to bow down, this wasn't just another RJ record, it was a friggin punk funk masterpiece.

zebop
08-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Street Songs for me, so many great songs. My favorite on it was "Ghetto Life." Plus "Fire and Desire," "Superfreak" and "Give it To Me Baby" he basically outdid himself--and didn't quite do it like that again.

timmyfunk
08-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Bustin Out all the way. None of that thin level funk that you find on Street Songs.

soulster
08-10-2010, 10:52 AM
His Santana influence really shone on "Hight On Your Love" and "Fool On The Street".

splanky
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
The best moments on Street Songs for me come the duet with Teena Marie, Fire and Desire. After that, I'd have to
agree with Tim. It's Bustin Out all the way. Kick ass album pretty much straight through...

timmyfunk
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Now where is the deluxe edition of Bustin' Out? I guess it didn't sell enough to warrant such treatment.

soulster
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Now where is the deluxe edition of Bustin' Out? I guess it didn't sell enough to warrant such treatment.

I actually don't want a deluxe edition. They would only f**k up the sound like they did on the Street Songs deluxe CD.

timmyfunk
11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't know about that. If there are any tracks in the vault that are as Funky as Bustin Out, they need to be released.

Jerry Oz
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I voted for Street Songs because of the number of hits, but Bustin' Out and High On Your Love Suite were second only to You and I and Mary Jane as his very best records, in my opinion.

soulster
11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
"Bustin' Out of L7" has some of the best rock the man ever recorded. Dig that blistering Santana-like jam at the end of "Fool On The Street", or the jam near the end of "High On Your Love Suite".

Jerry Oz
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
"Bustin' Out of L7" has some of the best rock the man ever recorded. Dig that blistering Santana-like jam at the end of "Fool On The Street", or the jam near the end of "High On Your Love Suite".
I think it was you that called my attention to the free-for-alls at the end of "You and I" and "High On Your Love Suite". I always loved where those tracks went, but never really considered how they got there.

soulster
11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Those arrangements were brilliant.

marv2
11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Although I liked and bought both albums, "Street Songs" was a killer! Rick James had out done himself with that set.

marv2
11-05-2013, 08:15 PM
I think it was you that called my attention to the free-for-alls at the end of "You and I" and "High On Your Love Suite". I always loved where those tracks went, but never really considered how they got there.

Oh man! Two of my ALL TIME favorites from Rick are "You and I" and "Big Time". Followed closely by "Cold Blooded"!

marv2
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Check it out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Nb5i-5_Y

soulster
11-05-2013, 10:31 PM
"Mary Jane" was the jam in collage!

Jerry Oz
11-06-2013, 12:25 AM
I would have sworn that I was the only cat in America who played "Big Time" out. It is both an unlikely Rick James cut while also being one that only he could pull off. It was not on the collection that I bought, so I had to digitize the album. That is a classic from my mix tape days.

marv2
11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I would have sworn that I was the only cat in America who played "Big Time" out. It is both an unlikely Rick James cut while also being one that only he could pull off. It was not on the collection that I bought, so I had to digitize the album. That is a classic from my mix tape days.

Oh no Jerry! "Big Time" was one of our party jams in Detroit in the early 80's. It got played regularly on "The Scene" and WGPR. Rick is subdued on this one but the rhythm track kicks major ass! LOL!!!

Jerry Oz
11-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Here's one that got played a lot when I was in high school but I curiously haven't heard it at a party or on radio since then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgYihsvdPRw