PDA

View Full Version : Dance With The Contours

test

keith_hughes
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm pleased to be able to tell you all that a CD titled "Dance With The Contours" should be available on Ace [[UK) Records at the end of March.

It'll feature 26 fantastic tracks, 24 of which have never been released before. Billy Gordon and his boys will instruct you in the finer points of the Shake, the Limbo, the Monkey, the Jerk, the See Saw and even the Uncle Willie! [[I'll be awarding a complimentary copy of the CD to the first person posting me a vid of them actually doing the Uncle Willie, by the way!)

For those of a more studious disposition, I can say that all the material was recorded during 1963-4 and features the group's original line-up. A full track list will appear here in due course.

And for those of a frankly nerdish persuasion, I can add that although some Motown discographies have actually listed an album with this title, we've not managed to uncover a single piece of original paperwork suggesting such an LP was ever planned, so we've made the track listing up, as we did with "The Satintones Sing!". Nonetheless, we hope you will enjoy it as much as if it were a reissue, and possibly even more.

Meantime, watch this space. With luck and a following wind, "Dance With The Contours" will not be the only Ace/Motown release of 2011. Yes folks, there's more where that came from!

A Happy New Year to dancers everywhere! Up on your feet, now.

Keith

motown_david
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Put me down for a copy right now Mr Hughes! I'll be ordering a copy as soon as it's up on amazon here in the UK. I can't beleive our luck that so many unissued tracks will be used on this really exciting sounding CD. Was Joe Billingslea interviewed for the project?
And I'll be emailing him to show me how to Uncle Willie as I'm quite used to making a fool of myself on the dance floor!
What fantastic news at the start of the New Year.

hwume
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
As with my previous email in the Syreeta on FTG thread, this is a fully authorized - and fun - release

144man
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
This is the one I've been waiting for. It would be great to hopefully have a legitimate recording of "Do the See Saw" [which morphed into Tom & Jerrio's "Boo-ga-loo/ Boomerang] and ""I Can't Stop Dancing" at last.

snakepit
01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Fabulous news Keith.
I hope all Motown fans support this release, and back such issues from Ace etc
I hope there is something in the "Can you jerk like me" vein.

snakepit
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
"Spinning with Spinners" ??
"Night in with Gladys" ??
"Hunting with Ivy Jo" ??
"Marvel at the Marvelettes" ??
"going Dutch with Eddie" ??

keith_hughes
01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Get a grip on yourself, for goodness' sake, Snakepit! Now, here is the track list:

Can You Do It
Can You Jerk Like Me
Do The See Saw
Foot Stomping Time
He Couldn't Do The Monkey
I Don't Want To Talk
Let's Do The Uncle Willie
Okey Dokey
Party Groove
Shake Everything You Got
The Limbo Is Here To Stay
Love Is Uncertain
Giant Steps
It Doesn't Have To Be So
Minnie The Ugly Duckling
Wanted
Boy Meets Girl
Don't You Wanna Go
Throw You Out Of My Mind
You Hurt Me So
You Changed My Life Around
Tonight
I Don't Know How Right It Was [[But Ooh What A Night It Was)
Somebody's Daughter Oughta
Nobody Fine As Dinah
I Can't Stop Dancing

And yes, David, Mr Billingslea has kindly consented to be interviewed for the project.

ralpht
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I had the pleasure, while in The Sunliners, to have backed up the Contours a number of times way back in the last century. It was always a blast.

booty
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Great news Keith!

midnightman
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Get a grip on yourself, for goodness' sake, Snakepit! Now, here is the track list:

Can You Do It
Can You Jerk Like Me
Do The See Saw
Foot Stomping Time
He Couldn't Do The Monkey
I Don't Want To Talk
Let's Do The Uncle Willie
Okey Dokey
Party Groove
Shake Everything You Got
The Limbo Is Here To Stay
Love Is Uncertain
Giant Steps
It Doesn't Have To Be So
Minnie The Ugly Duckling
Wanted
Boy Meets Girl
Don't You Wanna Go
Throw You Out Of My Mind
You Hurt Me So
You Changed My Life Around
Tonight
I Don't Know How Right It Was [[But Ooh What A Night It Was)
Somebody's Daughter Oughta
Nobody Fine As Dinah
I Can't Stop Dancing

And yes, David, Mr Billingslea has kindly consented to be interviewed for the project.

From the list, it looks like nothing but FUNKY GROOVES! :)

big_mac
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Now that's what I call A Happy New Year! Great news and something to look forward too in these uncertain economic times here in the UK. Will certainly be ordering asap! Anyone shed any light on information re the "Dance With The Contours" LP which has cropped-up from time to time in discographies etc.

Tantalizing news re other possible releases from Ace during 2011. Wonder who these can be! Any suggestions?

144man
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
What a fantastic track-listing. Roll on March!

timthemod
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Seems like Ace are concentrating on the earlier Motown catalogue that Universal/Hip-o-select deem to be of little interest to the mass market. However, hopefully it means we can see the likes of Mable John, Sammy Ward and Hattie Littles get some product out, even some compilations of early dancable R&B.

woodward
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
How about an ACE CD in honor of Marv Johnson? Most of his material was released on the United Artists label, but he definitely is a Motown artist. Marv deserves some recognition as he was really great.

snakepit
02-12-2011, 06:57 AM
bump.....for people not aware of this release

snakepit
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
bump - details of this CD are here!!

144man
02-12-2011, 07:37 PM
On the Amazon track listing, "He Couldn't Do the Monkey" seems to have morphed into "He Couldn't Do The Crossfire".

theboyfromxtown
02-16-2011, 07:15 AM
I suspect they actually sing "Crossfire". Amazon must have been listening to the cd....lol

Reminds me of Jimmy Ruffin's "On The Avenue" and/or "In the Neighbourhood".

stephanie
02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know who did the dance steps for the Contours they were awesome and thanks about the information on this release.

for_ur_info
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
The did all their own steps!

theboyfromxtown
02-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Stephanie
I'm not sure I can imagine Cholly Atkins or anybody demonstrating those dance steps to the boys! HA-HA

For_ur_info
Are you able to give any feedback to us from the Contours on this new release?

booty
02-18-2011, 03:03 AM
The cover of this CD is now up on Amazon.co.uk

keith_hughes
02-18-2011, 06:22 AM
The Contours worked out their own dance routines: Hubert Johnson [[the bass singer), was their leading choreographer, it seems.

Joe Billingslea and Sylvester Potts' memories of the songs on the CD can be read in the accompanying booklet. Joe seems to have remembered them all, Sylvester's memory was a little hazy in spots.

The Cross Fire / Monkey anomaly is also explained in the booklet.

for_ur_info
02-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Stephanie
I'm not sure I can imagine Cholly Atkins or anybody demonstrating those dance steps to the boys! HA-HA

For_ur_info
Are you able to give any feedback to us from the Contours on this new release?

They are so far very pleased!

for_ur_info
02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Actually, Billy Gordon[[lead singer) was the main choreographer & Hubert Johnson[[bass singer) taught them how to do the splits.

theboyfromxtown: You are so right, Cholly Atkins couldn't teach them any steps, he said so himself but he did teach them how to enter & exit the stage professionally.

theboyfromxtown
02-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Is this a song known to SDF posters?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw3SNqMitWY

A google search reveals that Tom and Jerry-O took the song from the Contours "Do The See Saw" and put the song out on themselves. The Contours own version is scheduled on this release.

theboyfromxtown
02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I want to bump this up the list....

144man
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Ordered mine from HMV today @ £11.99

lakedistrictlad1
02-23-2011, 05:18 AM
£11.85 at 'The Hut'. Free delivery also.

http://www.thehut.com/cd/the-contours/dance-with-the-contours/10355208.html

robb_k
02-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Pardon me for my lack of knowledge of Internet practises, but I can't see where to click to hear snippets of those songs on that website. ARE there snippets samples of those CD cuts on that site? If so, where do I go on that linked page, to find them? Thanks.

dave_clegg
02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Is this a song known to SDF posters?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw3SNqMitWY

A google search reveals that Tom and Jerry-O took the song from the Contours "Do The See Saw" and put the song out on themselves. The Contours own version is scheduled on this release.

Berry gordy sued them for using the backing track, and they [[ Tom & Jerrio) didn't make a cent from their record.

WOODWARD... Great news, Marv Johnson is in the compilation stage at the moment I believe

tomato tom
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Great news indeed!!!

radionixon
03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Get in! Can't wait for this.

I take it The Satintones Sing! did well, for Ace/Kent to be pressing ahead with some more excellent "obscure Motown" CDs?

jobeterob
03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Very nice to see this coming out; there should be a huge appeal to a segment of the fans. And these days, you can order from all over the world easily.

lakedistrictlad1
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Currently £8.99 with free delivery at Play. Just ordered mine. Can't wait!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/18715265/Dance-With-The-Contours/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=Dance+With+The+Contours&d=1&urlrefer=search

theboyfromxtown
03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Phil

It's £8.75 on The Hut...and if I remember correctly, you were the one that referred to me that site!

phil
03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Currently £8.99 with free delivery at Play. Just ordered mine. Can't wait!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/18715265/Dance-With-The-Contours/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=Dance+With+The+Contours&d=1&urlrefer=search

Lake, thanks for the link !

Pre-order. | Due for release on 28 March 2011

lakedistrictlad1
03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
John - Yes I put a link for the Hut - but it was £11.85 then. £8.99 at Play is a steal! Amazon must loose so many sales over their postal charge. I always buy from the Hut or Play these days.

snakepit
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I've ordered mine from Amazon - £8.99 free postage

Motown_M_1056
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Lake, thanks for the link !

Pre-order. | Due for release on 28 March 2011

I checked Amazon.com today. It said the release date is now April 12th.

mr_postman
03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
That's probably because it is released in the UK. It's still due for release on the 28th at Amazon.co.uk.

psychedelic jacques
03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
just had an e-mail from amazon UK saying it's been dispatched...

booty
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Same here - mine is on its way from Amazon UK @ £8.99. Expected delivery tomorrow ... Can't wait!

honest man
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
just ordered my copy after seeing thet are on dispatch, although i almost k now i will not play more than once, i convince myself on cds unsure of if i like only one song it is worth the price everything else including booklet is a bonus,, but need-appreciate to support these releases, keep up these great projects lads, cheers

theboyfromxtown
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Andy

You will regret it if you don't buy it

144man
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Strange...HMV still awaiting delivery from supplier.

honest man
03-26-2011, 06:09 AM
John i have ordered read post proper,HA. STILL WAITING ON REPLY OF STEVIE I HEAR A SYMPHONY,MATE ,remember,cheers.

psychedelic jacques
03-26-2011, 07:23 AM
arrived this morning. I won't be playing it for a few days as it's a present, but the booklet alone is stylish, informative, and well, just classy!

Keith - thank you.

Kamasu_Jr
03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
arrived this morning. I won't be playing it for a few days as it's a present, but the booklet alone is stylish, informative, and well, just classy!

Keith - thank you.

I ordered the Contours set through Amazon.UK. I received an email this morning saying it had been dispatched. But it's coming via Royal mail and it still might not arrive at my address until April 12th or April 19th. I don't know why I didn't wait until my usual US music seller had it in stock. I paid around $17.00 US dollars and some change for it according to the currency conversion rate. I didn't save a whole lot.

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I am loving the track "Tonight".

theboyfromxtown
03-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Trying to do that dance..the Uncle Willie. But I only seem to get to 7......can't get to 8!

Wonder why!

LOL

wichmanne
03-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Got mine yesterday and what a delight it is; enjoyed it from start to finish. Thanks to all involved.

A nice surprise was the number of unknown Smokey Robinson songs. "Somebody's Daughter Oughta" is a great little tune.

p.s. Somebody should find out what really happened to Billy Gordon.

keith_hughes
03-29-2011, 04:07 AM
BFX, please check your medical insurance before attempting step number 8! You could do irreparable damage to your, uh, bicycle ...

And I agree with you on "Tonight". They were such a versatile group, they got really stuck in a groove with the dance material, it's such a shame that magical stuff like this was just put to one side. Makes you wonder what else there is hidden down there in the vaults.

However, despite Joe and Sylvester's comments, I still have a soft spot for Minnie!

theboyfromxtown
03-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Keith

I wasn't aware that there was a medical insurance that could make me straight!

theboyfromxtown
03-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Got mine yesterday and what a delight it is; enjoyed it from start to finish. Thanks to all involved.

A nice surprise was the number of unknown Smokey Robinson songs. "Somebody's Daughter Oughta" is a great little tune.

I love this cd too and especially that track.

dickiemint
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Are there any of the Contours still touing? Wouldn't it be great to get them over to promote this release, along with Richard Street to promote the Monitors anthology, Maybe even if it was the Motown Weekender in Prestatyn.

snakepit
03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
my favourite is Smokey's "Oh What a night it was"

for_ur_info
03-31-2011, 06:22 AM

wichmanne- Billy Gordon died in 1999, he was in a nursing home in Detroit.

Kamasu_Jr
04-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Frankly, I thought the Contours' CD didn't come alive for me until track #22. The last five songs are the best ones to me. The Contours' strength was dance tunes in my opinion. I liked the liner notes.

mysterysinger
04-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Have to agree somewhat with Kamasu. Haven't yet got fully into the CD but it is early days. The CD picks up towards the end for me. The booklet is fabulous though.

Kamasu_Jr
04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Have to agree somewhat with Kamasu. Haven't yet got fully into the CD but it is early days. The CD picks up towards the end for me. The booklet is fabulous though.

A couple of the tracks from '63 are OK too, namely Seesaw, Cross Fire, and Party Groove, but the last five tracks from '64 are hot. Dinah is a stomper! Wish they could hae been in Stereo.

theboyfromxtown
04-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Kamasu

In the space of a few hours, you've changed from liking only 5 tracks to 8.

Keep playing it, my friend!

HA HA

Kamasu_Jr
04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Kamasu

In the space of a few hours, you've changed from liking only 5 tracks to 8.

Keep playing it, my friend!

HA HA

I listen for tracks that sound as if they could have been released or slotted into an album.. And only 8 or so tracks fit the bill, to my ears. The others were either DOA [[Dead on Arrival) or just plain hokey [[Minnie the Ugly Duckling?).

theboyfromxtown
04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Kamasu

It grew on me..pretty quickly too! *Smile*

Kamasu_Jr
04-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Kamasu

It grew on me..pretty quickly too! *Smile*

Some people like looking at bug-eyed bull frogs while others like to look at the pretty swans.

kenneth
04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Just got my copy from Amazon [[US) so anxious to hear it this weekend. Beautiful packaging and booklet as always from Ace/Kent.

pj1
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
My copy, too, just arrived yesterday. I've only had a chance to give it an initial listen, while absorbed in reading the superb booklet.
The info was great but left me with a question- In the write-up for "Party Groove', it is stated that there are seven Sylvester Potts/Mary Wells compositions in the Jobete catalogue. In addition to 'Party Groove', five others are listed.
What is the un-named seventh song?

144man
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm not at home to check, but I thought all seven were mentioned. Have you included Mary Wells' "Have a Little Patience"?

pj1
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM
From my cd booklet: [[1)[[Party Groove)-"This seems to be the earliest of seven songs by Sylvester and Mary Wells in the Jobete catalogue; the others are [[2) 'Boy Meets Girl' [in this collection], [[3) 'Give It Up' by the Temptations, and [[4) 'Have A Little Patience', together with the as yet unreleased [[5) 'I Found Someone New' and [[6) 'Free From Your Spell', all by Mary Wells. Sylvester says he and Mary wrote the lyrics and somebody else wrote the tunes, but no other names appear on the Motown paperwork for the songs.
Is this the same information contained in other's cd booklet or do other's booklets list seven song titles?

kenneth
04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
From my cd booklet: [[1)[[Party Groove)-"This seems to be the earliest of seven songs by Sylvester and Mary Wells in the Jobete catalogue; the others are [[2) 'Boy Meets Girl' [in this collection], [[3) 'Give It Up' by the Temptations, and [[4) 'Have A Little Patience', together with the as yet unreleased [[5) 'I Found Someone New' and [[6) 'Free From Your Spell', all by Mary Wells. Sylvester says he and Mary wrote the lyrics and somebody else wrote the tunes, but no other names appear on the Motown paperwork for the songs.
Is this the same information contained in other's cd booklet or do other's booklets list seven song titles?

Well, you have a more astute eye than I do. Mine says the same thing and I never noticed that was only 6 songs. Maybe one of the folks from Ace can ask the annotator and let us know what the other song was.

Stone Diamond
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Thought some may like to see this . . .
And for the 1965 to 1967 one here's the URL to my Flickr.com pages
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/5439169328/in/photostream

RossHolloway
04-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Thought some may like to see this . . .
And for the 1965 to 1967 one here's the URL to my Flickr.com pages
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/5439169328/in/photostream

So does this mean what I think it means? That there is a Volume 2 on its way?! That is exciting news. I just ordered this cd last week and can't wait for it to get here!

Stone Diamond
04-19-2011, 06:39 AM
I hope so, and hope this gives them a nudge in the right direction, I'm sure it would sell.

keith_hughes
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
pj1 and others: oh dear, you have drawn attention to one of my fatal weaknesses: I can't count! There are SIX Potts-Wells songs in the Jobete Catalog. Apologies.

The Annotator.

lakedistrictlad1
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
I just wanted to say a big thanks to KENT for this great collection. Superb sound quality and a booklet that proves CD's are not dead - downloads can go take a [[hitch) hike! I don't love everything on this cd - but I DO love having the opportunity to hear it.
Can't you spot Smokey's songs a mile off? Motown heaven!!

kenneth
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I agree, the sound quality and mastering on this CD is so fresh and new sounding. I love it that they kept the sound of the original mixes. It's amazing how much unreleased material was in the vaults for Kent to choose from. Most of the songs are upbeat and funky but there's definitely a few surprises in there. I even liked the more novelty material...you just have to expect some of that from the Contours. That is probably the material that was much more fun to see them perform live than hear on disc. The booklet is fabulous. It gives the entire history of the Contours, and all its personnel changes, which has always baffled me. I hope that Kent will release another volume of their later material, especially with Joe Stubbs [[though it seems like his tenure was pretty brief) and Dennis Edwards [[although the indication is most of his Contours tracks were scratched and relabeled as Edwards solo material). Regardless, we just have to have it!

chestersong
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
yes, the sound and liners are really great. i hope KENT can do more on other motown artists or albums yet to be released onto CD.

kenneth
04-30-2011, 07:41 AM
I love this CD and posted a review of it on Amazon [[US). If I could make a suggestion, to help those in the business who are putting resources into getting this stuff out, fellow members should post some reviews on the Amazon or other commercial sites. I love reading them here, but in a way this is like preaching to the choir. Some good reviews on the commercial sites could help sell copies, which will make everyone happy!