PDA

View Full Version : National Museum of African American History/Culture - Washington, DC

test

woodward
09-16-2016, 02:55 PM
I realize that the museum just recently opened. I am wondering if they have any TRACES of Motown memorabilia or history in the facility.

If anyone learns of any it would be of interest.

Maybe Marv2 will be attending the place in the near future.

Thank you.

woodward
09-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Update: I just read in today's Washington Post the following:

This was in a Qustion & Answer session with Quincy Jones.

Question to Quincy: "They've got Michael Jackson's fedora and Victory tour jacket in the museum."

reese
09-16-2016, 08:09 PM
I would be very surprised if there wasn't mention of Motown many times. This past Sunday, CBS SUNDAY MORNING did a story on the museum, with Quincy Jones. I caught a small glimpse of LADY SINGS THE BLUES playing on a video screen. I'm sure there are other things.

sansradio
09-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Bump: Rachel Maddow did a virtual tour on her show tonight; I noticed a famous still from MAHOGANY prominently installed on the walls. It's the post-shopping scene in Rome between Diana and Billy Dee [["It's a whole new thing here!"). I'll try to post a link.

marv2
09-23-2016, 09:32 PM
I realize that the museum just recently opened. I am wondering if they have any TRACES of Motown memorabilia or history in the facility.

If anyone learns of any it would be of interest.

Maybe Marv2 will be attending the place in the near future.

Thank you.

Woodward I always appreciate you're thinking of me and if I can ever offer anything of interest to the forum on this and other subjects, I will gladly share it with you all.

sansradio
09-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Adjacent to the MAHOGANY still is a great shot of The Jackson 5 in a TV performance.

sansradio
09-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Here's a link to the featured Mahogany photo as promised:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/32/aa/95/32aa953434a99f2565d780bb66989632.jpg

woodward
09-24-2016, 04:07 PM
From Philly.com today

The piano used by master songsmith Thom Bell to help craft the distinctively soulful musical footprint known as the legendary “Sound of Philadelphia.

Roberta75
09-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Here's a link to the featured Mahogany photo as promised:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/32/aa/95/32aa953434a99f2565d780bb66989632.jpg

Theres also costumes Diane Ross wore in Lady Sings the Blues on display sans radio.

fondly,

Roberta

sansradio
09-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Theres also costumes Diane Ross wore in Lady Sings the Blues on display sans radio.

fondly,

Roberta

Fantastic! Did any of you catch the ceremony? What a majestic edifice; what a moving celebration! I was moved to tears.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?415014-1/smithsonian-national-museum-african-american-history-culture-opens-dc&live&vod

brothadc
09-25-2016, 03:35 AM
I was there last week! I went home to attend my high school reunion, Howard D. Woodson Sr. High. Last Saturday there was an open house preview exclusively for charter members, which my sister Joanne is, so she got two tickets for us to go.It is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Our history is traced chronologically starting on the bottom floor, moving forward in time with each ascending floor. There is an Oprah Winfrey Theater there. On the top floor there are running films illustrating our more recent history, and in regards to Motown, there were photos in the film of Motown artists. The photo of Diana Ross & The Supremes was circa 1969 with them wearing probably their most famous beaded gowns of that time.

sansradio
09-25-2016, 09:21 AM
I was there last week! I went home to attend my high school reunion, Howard D. Woodson Sr. High. Last Saturday there was an open house preview exclusively for charter members, which my sister Joanne is, so she got two tickets for us to go.It is absolutely beautiful and amazing! Our history is traced chronologically starting on the bottom floor, moving forward in time with each ascending floor. There is an Oprah Winfrey Theater there. On the top floor there are running films illustrating our more recent history, and in regards to Motown, there were photos in the film of Motown artists. The photo of Diana Ross & The Supremes was circa 1969 with them wearing probably their most famous beaded gowns of that time.

That's incredible! I'm green with envy! My family and I are plotting to converge in DC at some point during warm weather to experience it together. Thanks for your post!

arr&bee
09-27-2016, 07:00 PM
What's up brothadc,always nice to meet a homey,my wife went to[h.d.woodson-class of 77]glad you saw the museum,i'm planning to visit soon.

brothadc
10-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Hey what's up Arr&Bee! Sorry for the late response, I just saw your post. Yo, that's cool homey! Your wife graduated with my sister! Did she go to the reunion we just had? Man you are going to really enjoy the museum. I was real happy to go the the preview, but when I saw the opening ceremony, I wish that I could have stayed back home longer and attended that as well! Have a good time when you visit the museum!!

arr&bee
10-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Yeah brother i'm gonna take the family,it's our history we gotta go,always good to talk to someone from home.

midnightman
10-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Was any Marvin memorabilia there?