PDA

View Full Version : Martha chart mystery

test

luke
09-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Heat Wave was number 1 on R & B chart for 4 weeks. Jimmy Mack also made it to Number 1. Why did the very soulful smash Dancing in the Street make it to # 2 nationally and only # 8 on soul/R & B billboard charts? Some of the less soulful Supremes records suffered similar results but Dancing in the Street? Come on...

reese
09-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Billboard didn't do a R&B chart from November 1963 to January 1965. Most R&B positions from that period come from Cashbox.

That said, depending on how long DANCING... stayed on the chart, it could have been falling when January 1965 rolled around. Or #8 could be an incorrect position.

reese
09-15-2016, 03:25 PM
I found a website that had the Cashbox R&B listings from 1964: https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53535

If it is correct, DANCING reached the Top 10 at #10 on Sept. 19, moved up to #8 the next week, stayed at #8 for one more week, then fell out of the top 10.

Motown had a few other records in the Top 10 during those weeks. Perhaps once DANCING hit the Top 10, they stopped promoting it at R&B radio and switched to other releases.

luke
09-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Oh yea I forgot about that. It's peak R @ B position is listed as #8 for 9/26/64 in Whitburns top 10 r&b billboard hits and he lists supremes etc too for that year. Will read forweward to check. Maybe he did use cashbox. Either way it's rated quite low considering its soulfulness and success.

detmotownguy
09-15-2016, 03:48 PM
and to Think that dancing could possibly be the number one Motown signature song of the classic era

motony
09-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Cashbox was never as accurate as Billboard.

marv2
09-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Billboard didn't do a R&B chart from November 1963 to January 1965. Most R&B positions from that period come from Cashbox.

That said, depending on how long DANCING... stayed on the chart, it could have been falling when January 1965 rolled around. Or #8 could be an incorrect position.

Good answer. I remember they did not have a chart for R&B that year.

midnightman
09-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Cashbox was a weird chart imo.

jobeterob
09-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Cashbox was more sales oriented than Billboard. Billboard has a higher amount of airplay included.

But don't you think Dancing in the Street is one of those Motown songs like You Can't Hurry Love that is just a little bit more pop than soul? That's why it is a signature song.

It is no I Was Made To Love Her or Uptight or Ain't To Proud To Beg

marv2
09-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Cashbox was more sales oriented than Billboard. Billboard has a higher amount of airplay included.

But don't you think Dancing in the Street is one of those Motown songs like You Can't Hurry Love that is just a little bit more pop than soul? That's why it is a signature song.

It is no I Was Made To Love Her or Uptight or Ain't To Proud To Beg

Dancing in the Street is pure Soul. It was the kind of Soulful record the Supremes wanted to record........remember? LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjNQWdvkhM

Glenpwood
09-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Here's the 7 records that blocked "Dancing" from the chart summit in CB...

1) Funny - Joe Hinton
2) Mercy Mercy - Don Covay
3) I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler
4) Baby I Need Your Loving - Four Tops
5) Out Of Sight - James Brown
6) Selfish One - Jackie Ross
7) Where Did Our Love Go - Supremes
8) Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas

luke
09-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks Glenwood. Quite a list tho I agree completely with Marc's comment above ...it's still synonymous with Motown and is such an iconic and soulful record I can't believe it didn't go to # 1. And I guess its stature has grown .

marv2
09-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Here's the 7 records that blocked "Dancing" from the chart summit in CB...

1) Funny - Joe Hinton
2) Mercy Mercy - Don Covay
3) I Stand Accused - Jerry Butler
4) Baby I Need Your Loving - Four Tops
5) Out Of Sight - James Brown
6) Selfish One - Jackie Ross
7) Where Did Our Love Go - Supremes
8) Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas

All of those were great records. Can you imagine if the charts were loaded with that many great songs at one time today?

Philles/Motown Gary
09-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Heat Wave was number 1 on R & B chart for 4 weeks. Jimmy Mack also made it to Number 1. Why did the very soulful smash Dancing in the Street make it to # 2 nationally and only # 8 on soul/R & B billboard charts? Some of the less soulful Supremes records suffered similar results but Dancing in the Street? Come on...

I agree, Luke. Martha & The Vandellas' "Dancing In The Street" was one of the hottest records Motown ever released, as was Martha's "Nowhere To Run". Those sure were the days! They both deserved to be #1.

Motown Eddie
09-18-2016, 09:43 AM
One thing we must remember about chart placings during the '60s; it wouldn't be until the early '90s when SoundScan was introduced that the music charts would more accurately reflect record sales. So the #2 position for "Dancing In The Streets" in 1964 doesn't tell you how many total copies the record sold.