PDA

View Full Version : Diana Defends MJ in Vintage Interview [['90s I think?)

test

midnightman
09-14-2016, 11:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6tWjt4k6k

Bluebrock
09-19-2016, 05:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6tWjt4k6k
It was on the Clive Anderson show here in the UK. She was over here to promote THE VOICE OF LOVE compilation album . It would have been around 1996. I know that Christmas was approaching because i also booked her onto Top Of The Pops and The Des O'Connor show where Julio Inglesias was a fellow guest which was great fun to record, but back go this particular clip. It was Diana's one and only appearance on this show. Clive Anderson was a clever, witty man but i never cared for him personally. He had a habit of taking the piss out of his guests, and the Bee Gees famously walked off the set on one edition when Anderson tried to be smug and sarcastic with them . I had misgivings about Diana appearing on this show but she insisted she wanted to do it and do it she did. She did not perform on the show but a video of the current single "IN THE ONES YOU LOVE" was shown. Diana did perform the song on TOTP and Des O'Connor whom she got along with famously. Diana was not happy when Anderson mentioned MJ and it all threatened to get heated. There is additional footage that was cut which was , how do i put it? A little toxic. Diana answered questions from the audience and there were one or two Diana haters amongst them, but i am not going there. Afterwards Anderson apologised to Diana and she graciously accepted his apology. We recorded this show, TOTP, and Des O'Connor in the space of 4 very busy days in which Diana also appeared on Radio 2 and conducted several newspaper and magazine interviews . Wonderful memories and i feel honoured and privileged to have been present at these occasions.

Ollie9
09-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Very interesting info Bluebrock.
I must say i myself wondered how this interview might pan out given that Clive Anderson is a very intelligent, witty but sarcastic interviewer. I never really blamed the Bee Gees for walking off his show as Anderson was relentless in taking the pee and putting them down.
I think Diana came across really well in the interview and looked absolutely stunning. I was really pleased when she stood up for Michael. At least on this occasion Anderson knew when to back off.

theboyfromxtown
09-19-2016, 12:35 PM
I was at an interview between Diana and Russell Harty at London Weekend TV....gawd it must be in the 70's sometime.

She nearly swore then.......I remember it so well......

Graceful and tasteful - always!

Bluebrock
09-19-2016, 01:04 PM
I was at an interview between Diana and Russell Harty at London Weekend TV....gawd it must be in the 70's sometime.

She nearly swore then.......I remember it so well......

Graceful and tasteful - always!
That one was way back in 72 or 73 if i recall correctly. Diana recalled this interview when i spoke with her about it in the 90's. She was genuinely upset when i told her that Harty had recently passed away. I knew Harty vaguely and he told me that Diana was one of his all time favourite guests. He was a big fan, and he told me the day after the interview went out he received a large bouquet of flowers from Diana with a note thanking him for a great interview.

Ollie9
09-19-2016, 05:30 PM
I believe the interview was in 76. They previewed a clip of Mahogany on it.

Bluebrock
09-19-2016, 06:09 PM
I believe the interview was in 76. They previewed a clip of Mahogany on it.
Was it really? In that case she may have appeared on the show twice. Harty told me it was around the time of LSTB but maybe he got mixed up with Mahogany. Thanks for that info Ollie. I shall do some digging.