PDA

View Full Version : New Motown book shows off rare photos

test

marv2
09-12-2016, 01:59 PM

http://www.freep.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/2016/09/11/new-motown-book-shows-off-rare-photos/90189012/

StuBass1
09-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Some very classic pics....Can't get over Norman Whitfield...Looked a lot different in the 80's when I would see him at my brothers house...Put on LOTS of weight by then...

arr&bee
09-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Wow,dick clark with the original marvelettes.

marv2
09-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Some very classic pics....Can't get over Norman Whitfield...Looked a lot different in the 80's when I would see him at my brothers house...Put on LOTS of weight by then...

Stu, you knew Norman?

marv2
09-12-2016, 03:42 PM

That is a rare one.

StuBass1
09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Stu, you knew Norman?
Yes, met Norman through my brother who worked pretty extensively with Norman in the 80's on Rose Royce, The Temptations, Last Dragon film [[they wrote the title track together), and some other stuff...Norman Jr too...Would see Norman at my brothers house...Normans grandson worked for the company I was involved with...

marv2
09-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Yes, met Norman through my brother who worked pretty extensively with Norman in the 80's on Rose Royce, The Temptations, Last Dragon film [[they wrote the title track together), and some other stuff...Norman Jr too...Would see Norman at my brothers house...Normans grandson worked for the company I was involved with...

That is really awesome. I love sit and talk you sometime.

marv2
09-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Look at how young Barney Ales was in that picture.

woodward
09-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Marv: I had hoped you would attend the book event tonight at the Motown Museum. Did anyone who is a forum member attend this event? I did see where Barney Ales will not be attending as originally presented. Maybe he will do some future event.

Luciano
09-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks for sharing! Very excited to get this book.

BigAl
09-12-2016, 07:54 PM
That doesn't look like Gladys standing between Dick Clark and Juanita. [[Or is Wyanetta the correct spelling? I've seen both and have never known which is correct.) Perhaps it's just not a good likeness of Gladys, but it really doesn't look like her to me.

marv2
09-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Marv: I had hoped you would attend the book event tonight at the Motown Museum. Did anyone who is a forum member attend this event? I did see where Barney Ales will not be attending as originally presented. Maybe he will do some future event.

Woodward.....Oh No! I missed it. My birthday was this past weekend, so I have been moving a bit slow. I would have definitely attended. I did want to meet Barney especially. I am to buy the book and yes, hopefully they will have another event that I can attend.

marv2
09-12-2016, 07:58 PM
That doesn't look like Gladys standing between Dick Clark and Juanita. [[Or is Wyanetta the correct spelling? I've seen both and have never known which is correct.) Perhaps it's just not a good likeness of Gladys, but it really doesn't look like her to me.

That is Gladys Horton and I always spelled it "Juanita Cowart".

BigAl
09-12-2016, 09:12 PM
That is Gladys Horton and I always spelled it "Juanita Cowart".
In Marc Taylor's book, The Original Marvelettes: Motown's Mystery Girl Group, Taylor refers to her as "Wyanetta" throughout the book, and I've seen it spelled this way elsewhere as well, although it's spelled Juanita more often. It's always perplexed me although I don't obsess on it. Maybe someone in here can shed some light on this.

marv2
09-12-2016, 09:32 PM
In Marc Taylor's book, The Original Marvelettes: Motown's Mystery Girl Group, Taylor refers to her as "Wyanetta" throughout the book, and I've seen it spelled this way elsewhere as well, although it's spelled Juanita more often. It's always perplexed me although I don't obsess on it. Maybe someone in here can shed some light on this.

Wyanetta may be the proper spelling of the name her folks gave her. I have seen the corruption of many common names for various reasons.

marv2
09-12-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm just amazed at how young and happy everyone in the photo looks.

luke
09-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Hope you had a good birthday Marv.

marv2
09-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Hope you had a good birthday Marv.

I did and thanks Luke. Are going to get this book?

luke
09-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Probably I'm still unclear what's its like. I already knew most of the pics.

marv2
09-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Probably I'm still unclear what's its like. I already knew most of the pics.

I was curious myself as to why they used the pics that they did in the article being that those are no so rare.

johnjeb
09-13-2016, 10:21 AM
I see 6 guys in mustard-colored suits in the UK 1965 group photo. I checked another book and there is a different picture from the same photo-shoot also with 6 guys in the same styled suit. So who is this 6th "Temptation" on the far left?

Also, is that Dennis Edwards behind Martha Reeves?

marv2
09-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I see 6 guys in mustard-colored suits in the UK 1965 group photo. I checked another book and there is a different picture from the same photo-shoot also with 6 guys in the same styled suit. So who is this 6th "Temptation" on the far left?

Also, is that Dennis Edwards behind Martha Reeves?

Corneilous Grant their music director. That is not Dennis Edwards behind Martha.

johnjeb
09-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Corneilous Grant their music director. That is not Dennis Edwards behind Martha.

Thanks, marv2. Would he often wear the same "uniform" as the group, although I notice his bow tie is a bit different?

marv2
09-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks, marv2. Would he often wear the same "uniform" as the group, although I notice his bow tie is a bit different?

He always called himself "the sixth Temptation". Their use to be an interview with him on Youtube. I will try to find it.

marv2
09-13-2016, 12:00 PM
This is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iyU2fvfTM8

midnightman
09-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Haven't seen the Smokey & Claudette, Miracles, Smokey in booth, Stevie & Berry pics. Nice to find the Marvin and Barney pic without the watermark... but it's a shame they didn't post no more. I'm sure there's more rare Marvin!

splanky
09-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I won't be buying the book which I see is getting a lot of attention everywhere, but I don't
need to...I don't know about your towns but in New York the public libraries are getting
circulating copies for every branch I'm told...