PDA

View Full Version : Thelma Houston biopic as Dinah Wahaington

test

luke
09-09-2016, 02:43 PM
I just read that Motown planned this movie for her but couldn't get clearance from Washingtons family. Any other info? Thanks

motony
09-09-2016, 02:47 PM
An interesting story that would be.

marv2
09-09-2016, 02:50 PM
I just read that Motown planned this movie for her but couldn't get clearance from Washingtons family. Any other info? Thanks

That story was first floated back in the 70s.

sansradio
09-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Also, Thelma was considered to star in a possible Bessie Smith biopic; Aretha and Roberta Flack were said to be in the running as well.

reese
09-09-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't remember anything about a potential Dinah pic, although some people thought there was a vocal similarity between the two. I do remember a story in JET about the Bessie film. There was some sort of press conference where Thelma and some musicians dressed in period clothing and performed some of Bessie's songs.

sansradio
09-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Thelma's version of "If It's the Last Thing I Do" was a brilliant homage to Queen Dinah. She would have been a marvelous choice to play her.

reese
09-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Thelma's version of "If It's the Last Thing I Do" was a brilliant homage to Queen Dinah. She would have been a marvelous choice to play her.

When my dad saw Thelma perform it on American Bandstand, he said she reminded him of Dinah.

sansradio
09-09-2016, 03:50 PM
When my dad saw Thelma perform it on American Bandstand, he said she reminded him of Dinah.

Big time. The physical and vocal similarities are uncanny.

marv2
09-09-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't remember anything about a potential Dinah pic, although some people thought there was a vocal similarity between the two. I do remember a story in JET about the Bessie film. There was some sort of press conference where Thelma and some musicians dressed in period clothing and performed some of Bessie's songs.

The closest Thelma got to playing Dinah Washington was on Motown Return to the Apollo. Check her out at 5:36 of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L0AqPcsXOk