PDA

View Full Version : The Truth about The Undisputed Truth!

test

TomatoTom123
09-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Hi, all! [[I'm new here by the way)

I really like The Undisputed Truth, I think they were seriously underrated and are often unfairly pegged a one-hit wonder. Sadly - although I know who the members were [[Joe, Billie and Brenda) - I don't know who's singing on what! The brilliant Joe Harris sings lead on almost all of their songs, I know that much!

In "Smiling Faces Sometimes", who sings the "the truth is in the eyes 'cause the eyes don't lie" line? Is it the same as the "beware of the handshake that hides the snake" or the "enemy won't do you no harm..." lines? I only want to know because the song is so goooood!!'

Also, who sings lead with Joe on "You Got The Love I Need"? I know that Billie Calvin [[RIP) recorded a solo version of the song for Ian Levine but does she sing on the original?

Thanks so much!!
Tom 😀

marv2
09-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Welcome TomatoTom123! I met and talk to Joe "Pep" Harris back in April. I wished I knew of your question then.

TomatoTom123
09-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Wow, you talked to Joe himself! Nice. Technically [[I just realised this) my question is just 50/50 anyway [[I mean it's either Billie or Brenda) so 😂

ejluther
09-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I, too, really love The Undisputed Truth - vastly underrated...

luke
09-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Well Taka Boom also was later in the group.

captainjames
09-11-2016, 02:15 AM
Brenda is on Facebook - I am sure she would clarify for you.

TomatoTom123
09-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Oh - wow - yes, she is. Just saw her page. Thanks! :)

marv2
09-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Wow, you talked to Joe himself! Nice. Technically [[I just realised this) my question is just 50/50 anyway [[I mean it's either Billie or Brenda) so ��

Yes, he sang for us at the Detroit Historical Museum for the opening of the Motown Black & White Exhibit.

captainjames
09-11-2016, 11:06 AM
You are welcome-she is a very sweet person.

Oh - wow - yes, she is. Just saw her page. Thanks! :)

TomatoTom123
09-11-2016, 11:26 AM
I, too, really love The Undisputed Truth - vastly underrated...

Too right!

jsmith
09-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Just as they were getting going .... 11693

TomatoTom123
09-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Billie Rae Calvin, Joe "Pep" Harris, Brenda Joyce Evans

The Undisputed Truth!!

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Hehehe, it turns out I can answer my own question, LOL!!

After endless amounts of listening to "Smiling Faces" and not knowing who is singing what, I have finally found out which voice belongs to which singer, THANK GAWD! It was thanks to Billie Calvin's solo tracks with Ian Levine and The Undisputed Truth's "You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth".

It is Brenda Evans who has the more distinctive voice, and she sings lead with Joe on "You Got The Love I Need" - I am sure of it!! [[Lol) Brenda sings the "handshake" bit on "Smiling Faces" as well. Billie Calvin's voice is the smoother one, and she sings the "the truth is in the eyes 'cause the eyes don't lie" line.

Oh my, I am so glad I found that out, it was so frustrating, LOL!!

mysterysinger
10-16-2016, 08:52 PM
That first Undisputed Truth CD is well overdue on CD. "Face to Face" has already had at least 2 releases whereas none for number 1 [[as far as I know).

midnightman
10-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Nice pic of them with a big Afro-ed Norman and Barrett...

I remember seeing them in some flashback Soul Train episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYn3mQ48FM

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Nice pic of them with a big Afro-ed Norman and Barrett...

I remember seeing them in some flashback Soul Train episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYn3mQ48FM

Hehehe, I was watching that just today, LOL!

That is The Undisputed Truth post-Billie and Brenda, now a sort of funked-up version of The Miracles! The members were Joe "Pep" Harris, Virginia "V" McDonald [[or "Vee"), Tyrone "Big Ty" Douglas, Tyrone "Lil Ty" Barkley and Calvin "Dhaak" Stephenson [[aka "The Doc"). Rarely acknowledged as having recorded for Motown but they put out some great and incredibly funkaayy stuff!!

midnightman
10-17-2016, 01:31 AM
I wonder when Taka joined them? I think it was when they had joined Whitfield Records and they were no longer rocking the Labelle/Funkadelic-era outfits and wild hair?

TomatoTom123
10-17-2016, 07:45 AM
I wonder when Taka joined them? I think it was when they had joined Whitfield Records and they were no longer rocking the Labelle/Funkadelic-era outfits and wild hair?

Yes, when they left Motown and followed Norman Whitfield to Whitfield Records, Vee and Big Ty left and were replaced with Taka Boom! They were still pretty psychedelic and weird [[face paint and huge Afros and stuff) but for me 1975 is their peak year for weirdness!

The Undisputed Truth were then Joe Harris, Tyrone "Lil Ty" Barkley, Calvin "Dhaak" Stephenson and Taka Boom [[for a time)

The Undisputed Truth, circa 1976

Them performing live

Their debut album for Whitfield Records

luke
10-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Why did Billie and Joyce leave?

TomatoTom123
10-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Why did Billie and Joyce leave?

I'm not sure, maybe because of the lack of post-"Smiling Faces" success

TomatoTom123
11-06-2016, 08:27 AM
I have another question: is Joe "Pep" Harris singing in "baritone"? [[Are his vocals what you would call "baritone"?)

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2016, 12:34 PM
BJ Brenda Joyce Evans-Johnson We were three young teenagers from Los Angeles, CA. We had a singing engagement in San Antonio TX. Our first out of town gig. We found out our manager was cheating us out of our money, by the club manager telling us what we were getting paid. We didn't have enough money to get back home. Bobby Taylor, was at our show and liked us. And said he would pay for us to fly to Detroit and we could open up for him, at the 20 Grand. At that time it was Dale, Michelle, and myself. After a couple of weeks working at the 20 Grand, a note was left from Dale, saying she left to go back home. I had to find a replacement fast. I called Billie Rae Calvin, who had the same manager, so she knew our show some what. Bobby Taylor got us a record deal with Motown. The Winter of 1969. Frank Wilson took us under his wing because he was from California. We lived with him until we started making money doing studio sessions. We sang on everything he produced at this time, because we lived with him. He would wake us up when a idea came to him. The Still Waters Album, Four Tops. Supreme, Stone LOVE, UP THE Ladder TO THE Roof. I also did demo's for Diana Ross's to listen too. Stevie Wonder, Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Your. DIANA ROSS, A'int NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. That's us along with VALERIE Simpson. We did close to a hundred recordings that where put on the self or wasn't a hit record. We did a few sessions with the ANDANTES. When they needed a big sound. Joe Pep Harris sang on War, with Billie and I. Edwin Starr hit record. Really to much info for facebook.

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2016, 12:35 PM
BJ Brenda Joyce Evans-Johnson Billie has the truth is in the eyes. She has a mellow alto voice. I have the soprano loud voice.

TomatoTom123
11-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Wow, thank you boyfromxtown, that's fascinating and very detailed! Did you contact her on Facebook?

theboyfromxtown
11-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Yes I did

TomatoTom123
11-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Yes I did

Ahh, thank you, boyfromxtown! [[You know, I didn't even know that your name was a song until recently, hehe ;))

tjl
11-06-2016, 11:21 PM
Their version of "Law Of The Land" to me is the very definition of Funky Soul.

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2016, 03:13 AM
Ahh, thank you, boyfromxtown! [[You know, I didn't even know that your name was a song until recently, hehe ;))

I wished I had picked a shorter moniker...but it's done now and I've had it for some 20 years. I'm too old to change it.

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2016, 03:15 AM
Their version of "Law Of The Land" to me is the very definition of Funky Soul.

I agree TJ. I was a big fan of the group and was a little disappointed when they changed direction and group personnel.

TomatoTom123
11-07-2016, 03:51 AM
I agree TJ. I was a big fan of the group and was a little disappointed when they changed direction and group personnel.

I love the original trio but the second incarnation of The Undisputed Truth had some brilliant songs as well. If anything they stood out more, had more of their own identifiable sound [[albeit a pretty weird sound, hehe). "Help Yourself", "I'm A Fool For You", "The Girl's Alright With Me", "Earthquake Shake" [[crazy song) and "Poontang" are all brilliant! :)