PDA

View Full Version : Supremes 40th Anniversary Expanded LIMITED Edition

test

greg jones
08-13-2016, 09:39 PM
I was at Amoeba Music in Hollywood earlier today. They have a used copy of the 40th Annivesary Hip-O Select Release for $85! So it has really become a collector's item.

Hmmm.... we never really got an answer as to why many Hip-O Select releases were limited edition. It certainly couldn't be because they wanted them to become that collectable because they don't gain any money from that. It does show that on most of those expanded editions they really needed to print up more. Can we finally find out why they were limited editions ?

sansradio
08-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Are you referring to the Where Did Our Love Go 40th anniversary set?

woodward
08-14-2016, 09:27 AM
My guess is that it is merely a sales gimmick hoping to coax the prospective buyer into buying it.

Laserdk
08-14-2016, 09:42 AM
My guess is that it is merely a sales gimmick hoping to coax the prospective buyer into buying it.

Harry Weinger explained at the time when the "Select" line was being launched that it was a vehicle to get titles out as limited editions that the the top bods at UMe would not sanction for release as general market releases due to their limited appeal or something like that.

Ivor

woodward
08-14-2016, 10:37 AM
The use of LIMITED EDITION was around prior to Hip O Select. I have in my collection The Best of the Marvelettes released on Marginal from Belgium from 1994-1998. The cover clearly states LIMITED EDITION.

greg jones
08-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Are you referring to the Where Did Our Love Go 40th anniversary set?

Yes, I did mean Where Did Our Love Go 40th Anniversary Set. Sure didn't proof read that.

greg jones
08-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Harry Weinger explained at the time when the "Select" line was being launched that it was a vehicle to get titles out as limited editions that the the top bods at UMe would not sanction for release as general market releases due to their limited appeal or something like that.

Ivor

Interesting WDOLG classifies as limited appeal when there at least have the album was charted and well known songs and contained 3 #1 singles.

So far, the only album of Diana's to receive the Deluxe mainstream release was diana [[1980). Diana Ross [[1970) was at least a 1 disc expanded mainstream. Plus no Supremes albums qualify as mainstream when they had 12 #1 singles.

mysterysinger
08-14-2016, 07:50 PM
The use of LIMITED EDITION was around prior to Hip O Select. I have in my collection The Best of the Marvelettes released on Marginal from Belgium from 1994-1998. The cover clearly states LIMITED EDITION.

When they're bootleg releases they can call them what they want to. Those Marginals have been released several times [[or even may never have stopped being made).

ejluther
08-14-2016, 10:12 PM
They have a used copy of the 40th Annivesary Hip-O Select Release for $85! So it has really become a collector's item.

If it was WDOLG you should buy it - I've seen it go for much more on Ebay...

greg jones
08-15-2016, 11:12 AM
When they're bootleg releases they can call them what they want to. Those Marginals have been released several times [[or even may never have stopped being made).

Actually sell higher ? Or just post/listed higher ?

ejluther
08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Actually sell higher...