PDA

View Full Version : Jean carn at motown

test

arr&bee
08-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Maybe this has been discussed before,so just asking,how long did jean stay at motown and how many songs did she release?

woodward
08-09-2016, 04:16 PM
I have not the faintest idea who she is. I never ever heard her name mentioned. I went to the bible, www.dftmc.info and she is not included in their data base.

marv2
08-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Jean was there for a very short time in the 80s. They released at least one album on her I believe.

marv2
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Woodward, Jean Carn is a very popular R&B singer out of Philadelphia. She is also great at Jazz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXPh-FXTaaY

marv2
08-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Motown released the album "Trust Me" on her in 1982.

marv2
08-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Her biggest hit was this number one R&B single, Closer than Close"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4SIhVVr0_I

sansradio
08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Woodward, do yourself a favor and check her out. She's a powerhouse!

Bluebrock
08-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Woodward, do yourself a favor and check her out. She's a powerhouse!
Jean Carn is a wonderful singer. Her four philly int albums in the 70's and early 80's are absolute gems, She is a real cult figure here in the UK. She recorded just the one album for Motown called "trust me". In truth it wasn't that great an album but the title track is nice as is her version of "if you don't know me by now" featuring background vocals by the Temptations. Her mid 80's hit "closer than close" is another gem, but it is the four Philly albums you should be checking out. Jean also happens to be a lovely lady. I have met her several times. Do yourself a favour Woodward. Check this wonderful singer out. You owe it to yourself.

Guy
08-09-2016, 06:04 PM
In most circles, she would be best known by her Philly International recordings, including her funky club hits: "Don't Let It Go To Your Head", "Was That All It Was" and "Free Love." All of which have been covered by other artists.

sansradio
08-09-2016, 08:42 PM
I've also read that anywhere from a handful to an album's worth of Carn[e] tracks remain in the Motown vault. Hopefully these tracks will see the light of day on a future reissue of Trust Me.
"Sweet and Wonderful" is another post-Philly fave of mine, BTW.

sansradio
08-09-2016, 08:44 PM
In most circles, she would be best known by her Philly International recordings, including her funky club hits: "Don't Let It Go To Your Head", "Was That All It Was" and "Free Love." All of which have been covered by other artists.

Guy, can you let me know who has covered the latter two tracks? I remember The Brand New Heavies' take on "DLIGTYH," which I considered a valiant stab at an otherwise untouchable original.

luke
08-09-2016, 10:00 PM
I love this song ..No Laughing Matter https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_WhQJHZY2Gg

daviddesper
08-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Her version of Love Don't Love Nobody is awesome also.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-10-2016, 02:19 AM
Maybe this has been discussed before,so just asking,how long did jean stay at motown and how many songs did she release?
arr&bee, Jean Carn recorded yet another track with Motown -- her excellent remake of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" -- which appeared on the early 1980's Gordy album by Bobby M [[Militello) titled "Rick James Presents Bobby M: Blow".

JEAN CARN - "Let's Stay Together" [[Thanks to Diffrent Drumr for posting to YouTube.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLNDCVIIVU

Bluebrock
08-10-2016, 05:39 AM
I've also read that anywhere from a handful to an album's worth of Carn[e] tracks remain in the Motown vault. Hopefully these tracks will see the light of day on a future reissue of Trust Me.
"Sweet and Wonderful" is another post-Philly fave of mine, BTW.
I thought "sweet and wonderful" was on one of her philly albums sansradio? It was a great duet with Glenn Jones which was indeed sweet and wonderful!

Jimi LaLumia
08-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Was That All It Was was a huge disco hit in the LGBT nightclubs back in the day..

Jimi LaLumia
08-10-2016, 05:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIE266rqnw

Laserdk
08-10-2016, 07:08 AM
I thought "sweet and wonderful" was on one of her philly albums sansradio? It was a great duet with Glenn Jones which was indeed sweet and wonderful!

sansradio,

My understanding is that all is left on Jean in the Motown vault is one track left off the "Trust Me" album, don't know the title though, and that's it. Paul Williams of the now defunct Reel Music/P&C labels confirmed this a few years back when he was considering issuing Jean's Motown album on CD for his labels.

Ivor

splanky
08-10-2016, 07:10 AM
I have not the faintest idea who she is. I never ever heard her name mentioned. I went to the bible, www.dftmc.info and she is not included in their data base.

I was shocked like hell at first reading this but then I calmed down and remembered we
ALL have our blind spots, Lord knows I've missed some things in the history of this music.
Jean I've heard is singing again and has made peace with her ex Doug; I meant earlier to
check for new music and this thread reminds me, In the meantime, do any of you remember
this Motown release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiFzf6gdaU

sansradio
08-10-2016, 07:11 AM

You are correct. It was a PI release on the TSOP imprint, her final effort for them.

sansradio
08-10-2016, 07:14 AM
sansradio,

My understanding is that all is left on Jean in the Motown vault is one track left off the "Trust Me" album, don't know the title though, and that's it. Paul Williams of the now defunct Reel Music/P&C labels confirmed this a few years back when he was considering issuing Jean's Motown album on CD for his labels.

Ivor

Well, that's kind of a bummer.

Yes, splanky, her "If You Don't Know Me By Now" with the Tempts is classic. Here's another fave of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtaNDtp_HNo

sansradio
08-10-2016, 07:23 AM
I was shocked like hell at first reading this but then I calmed down and remembered we
ALL have our blind spots, Lord knows I've missed some things in the history of this music.
Jean I've heard is singing again and has made peace with her ex Doug; I meant earlier to
check for new music and this thread reminds me, In the meantime, do any of you remember
this Motown release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiFzf6gdaU

Yes, I'd heard that she and Doug reunited professionally after not having seen one another in 40 years! Very exciting. Their "Infant Eyes" is a masterpiece.

sansradio
08-10-2016, 08:05 AM
And who could forget...break out the Champale...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KXVJl7knFo

marv2
08-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Jean sang at Levi Stubbs' funeral. That was the last time I saw her.

arr&bee
08-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks gang,jean is a great singer.

Bluebrock
08-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks gang,jean is a great singer.
One of Phillys finest, and a lovely lady too. I spent some quality time with only a few months back where she told me of her forthcoming music amongst many other things.

daddyacey
08-14-2016, 11:37 PM
She is also on 2 tracks of Lonnie Liston Smiths , "Love Goddess" lp. " Heaven" and "Star Flower" are her lead vocals.

StuBass1
08-15-2016, 12:52 AM
Likely not one of Martha Reeves favorite people when Jean was asked to sing one of Marthas songs on Smokey Robinsons summer replacement series on NBC in the mid 80's...Martha, who was also on the show didn't take kindly to the idea and stormed out of the rehearsal...Mr Gordy had to get personally involved. Exactly what he told Martha when he tracked her down and told her by phone...perhaps discretion is the better part of valor...

sansradio
08-15-2016, 08:24 AM
She is also on 2 tracks of Lonnie Liston Smiths , "Love Goddess" lp. " Heaven" and "Star Flower" are her lead vocals.

That's right! I used to own that CD; I need to track it down.

splanky
08-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Likely not one of Martha Reeves favorite people when Jean was asked to sing one of Marthas songs on Smokey Robinsons summer replacement series on NBC in the mid 80's...Martha, who was also on the show didn't take kindly to the idea and stormed out of the rehearsal...Mr Gordy had to get personally involved. Exactly what he told Martha when he tracked her down and told her by phone...perhaps discretion is the better part of valor...

Unless it is during a tribute where different artists are invited to salute someone by performing their own hit material [[remember Patti and others saluting Aretha Franklin)
no one should perform anyone's else work at a venue where they are present and so I
say whoever asked Jean to sing one of Martha's song probably knew it would create
drama and did it on purpose for their own entertainment...

reese
08-15-2016, 11:56 AM

I wonder what happened there. I watched that show every week but I don't remember Jean appearing on it.

I do remember the episode where Martha appeared. She sang a medley of her hits. Then, for the finale, she, El DeBarge, and Natalie Cole joined Smokey for a performance of HEATWAVE. I must say, Natalie did take over the song and I felt a little bad for Martha.

StuBass1
08-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I wonder what happened there. I watched that show every week but I don't remember Jean appearing on it.

I do remember the episode where Martha appeared. She sang a medley of her hits. Then, for the finale, she, El DeBarge, and Natalie Cole joined Smokey for a performance of HEATWAVE. I must say, Natalie did take over the song and I felt a little bad for Martha.
You know...As I recall the story [[told by an inside source) it was Jean Carne....but it could have been Natale that pissed Martha off and set off the chain of events...I was at the taping of the first show, but this incident was a later episode...

marv2
08-15-2016, 01:48 PM
You know...As I recall the story [[told by an inside source) it was Jean Carne....but it could have been Natale that pissed Martha off and set off the chain of events...I was at the taping of the first show, but this incident was a later episode...

I KNOW Martha and it is totally within character for her to get pissed! LOL!

StuBass1
08-15-2016, 03:27 PM
I KNOW Martha and it is totally within character for her to get pissed! LOL!
And it took just a very few [[brief) words from Mr Gordy to "convince" her to return to the rehearsal and do as told LOL...

marv2
08-15-2016, 03:33 PM
And it took just a very few [[brief) words from Mr Gordy to "convince" her to return to the rehearsal and do as told LOL...

I also know Mr. Gordy, but not as well, but I do know he can make you do it! LOL! [[some people that is.......).