PDA

View Full Version : You Keep Me Hangin' On [[The Motown Story: The 60s Version)

test

marv2
08-08-2016, 09:20 PM
My favorite mix of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q2mHSpJ77w

longtimefan
08-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting, marv2. I am not good at picking up the differences between various mixes. Can you help me and point out what's unique about this mix? I'd appreciate it. I'm always trying to learn.......

marv2
08-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting, marv2. I am not good at picking up the differences between various mixes. Can you help me and point out what's unique about this mix? I'd appreciate it. I'm always trying to learn.......

You are welcome. For me, the difference is hearing Florence Ballard tearing it up with Mary Wilson not far behind. I guess this is what happens when they turn the microphones up! LOL!

daviddh
08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
This is the best version of YKMHO.this should of been the single version

detmotownguy
08-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Good post Marv! I have a couple sealed copies of the Motown Story plus a couple of used ones. Played the hell outta them. What great marketing idea!

marv2
08-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Good post Marv! I have a couple sealed copies of the Motown Story plus a couple of used ones. Played the hell outta them. What great marketing idea!

I have my one original copy with a bunch of Motown newspaper clippings in the box somewhere. LOL

longtimefan
08-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Is this version on the MOTOWN STORY CD or just the vinyl box set?

marv2
08-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Is this version on the MOTOWN STORY CD or just the vinyl box set?

This is the version from the 1970 Motown Story Box set. The blue box with 5 lps. Interviews throughout.

sansradio
08-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Yassss! I downloaded this mix last year.

sup_fan
08-09-2016, 02:52 PM
they've yet to release the completely unedited version of YKMHO. Here is the list of versions that i'm aware of:

original single mix
stereo lp mix
#1 mix - this includes the hard-stop ending and the extra chorus in the middle of the song
The Motown Story mix - this has M and F repeating the chorus at the end

There are a few different versions of the song where the background vocals start in different places. As recorded, M and F sing the chorus at the beginning and then their famous "ooos" but different versions that have been released have them starting at different times.

daviddh
08-09-2016, 03:47 PM
love to hear the full version. this is one of my all time favorite supremes songs. if we ever get a Sing HDH expanded, this could be a treat.love this song

daviddh
08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
btw, is the version on the cd different from the motown album

sup_fan
08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I was poking around on Wikipedia and apparently the versions of Love Is In Our Hearts differs between the stereo and mono versions of the lp

I know a few of the HDH cover tracks considered for A Go Go were also considered for Sing HDH. One could almost combine A Go Go and Sing into 1 expanded release as so much of the recording period overlaps. The A Go Go tracks were pulled from the early winter to mid summer 66. Sing is mostly spring and summer 66 [[with a few older tracks pulled from the vaults).

Coming off of A Go Go which was a cover-heavy lp, i'm surprised they did another album so soon that had so many covers on it. But maybe the concept and title were a ploy by Gordy and Motown to appease HDH, since things started to go sour around this time

daviddh
08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
this version shows they didn't need the Andantees, they were fine with just the three of them. Motown decided to use the andantes unless florences problems brought that on. great supremes track,if not the best.

luke
08-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Is Diana's voice double tracked? Do flo and Mary join in for at least part of when she's sings the title? My ears not as keen as some.

sup_fan
08-15-2016, 02:36 PM
yes. Diana is double tracked throughout. and there are just a couple quick moments where you can clearly hear it. where she slightly sings something different between the takes

M and F do join in on the "you keep me hangin on" part of the chorus. Diana sings the Cuz you don't really need me, you just..."

RossHolloway
08-15-2016, 03:17 PM
I would love to hear the acapella version of this song, or at least one without the music.

marv2
08-15-2016, 03:53 PM
yes. Diana is double tracked throughout. and there are just a couple quick moments where you can clearly hear it. where she slightly sings something different between the takes

M and F do join in on the "you keep me hangin on" part of the chorus. Diana sings the Cuz you don't really need me, you just..."

She may have been double tracked but that is Florence Ballard mirroring her through most of the song in this version.

longtimefan
08-15-2016, 04:06 PM
btw, is the version on the cd different from the motown album

I wonder why they would go to the trouble to change the track that was on the vinyl box set when they produced the CD? It seems odd -- and an unnecessary effort.

blackguy69
08-15-2016, 04:10 PM
It's always interesting to hear everyone's take on YKMHO. For me I always thought maybe they doubled Diana's voice to give a fuller sound . I do agree that Flo was tearing it up in the background, but never thought she was duetting with Diana. I'm always curious on why they never duplicate this sound for tv or any of the live shows while Flo was still there. The closest I've heard is the TCB special.

sup_fan
08-15-2016, 06:00 PM
actually I believe flo is NOT doubling Diana's lead. you can clearly hear the difference now on newer versions of the song, where the vocals are more crisp and defined. like the #1 cd. There was a rumor amongst fans that it was Flo singing along with Diana but that was dispelled with these new tracks. Andrew actually confirmed that it's a doubling of Diana. yes you can hear her separate vocals slightly, like at "Why don't you be a maaaan about it" on the Man part she sings it ever so slightly different in the two takes. hence your hearing the two voices more clearly.

luke
08-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks sup

marv2
08-15-2016, 06:31 PM
actually I believe flo is NOT doubling Diana's lead. you can clearly hear the difference now on newer versions of the song, where the vocals are more crisp and defined. like the #1 cd. There was a rumor amongst fans that it was Flo singing along with Diana but that was dispelled with these new tracks. Andrew actually confirmed that it's a doubling of Diana. yes you can hear her separate vocals slightly, like at "Why don't you be a maaaan about it" on the Man part she sings it ever so slightly different in the two takes. hence your hearing the two voices more clearly.
Sorry but Florence is singing right along with her. Flo said so herself and Mary Wilson confirmed it. Flo said she was giving Diane hell on the lead to You Keep Me Hanging On. I hear her right underneath and at times poking through the lead.

blackguy69
08-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Sorry Marv I going to have to call bs on that statement. I've never heard Flo or Mary state that. Do you have a link to where it was stated

luke
08-15-2016, 08:30 PM
I remember Florence being quoted in a Motown book thanking HDH for YKMHO as she is so prominent on the record. Don't remember any other specifics. Will look for which book if Marv doesn't know .

marv2
08-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Sorry Marv I going to have to call bs on that statement. I've never heard Flo or Mary state that. Do you have a link to where it was stated

When time permits Blackguy, I will get the name of the book and page in which she was quoted saying exactly what I posted. I don't make shit up.

sup_fan
08-15-2016, 11:39 PM
The only "source" that I'm aware of any quotes from F or M regarding backing vocals to YKMHO is tony turner and All That Glittered. That's hardly a reliable source and its well known that multiple sources have filed suit against tony for defamation in regards to his two books

I'm basing my comments on people that are actually familiar w the tapes and recordings themselves. Andrew Skurow has physically worked that the masters and has handled multiple projects regarding the Sup tracks. He has stated that it is a doubled track Diana lead so that's what I'm going w

Besides given EVERYTHING that was going on w the group at this time do u really think Gordy was going to feature flo? In any way or form?

ejluther
08-15-2016, 11:45 PM
It's clearly Diana doubled on lead but Flo and Mary are doing strong backups that are just as powerful - that's why the song works so well...

reese
08-16-2016, 07:20 AM
I always thought it was a multi-tracked Diana. When I was a kid, I used to sing it in front of a fan trying to get that sound. :)