PDA

View Full Version : Ace Records presents Syreeta – Something On My Mind: The Rita Wright Years 1967-1970

test

keith_hughes
08-08-2016, 02:13 PM

“It’s a completely different type of music from an era that will never return. I hope that [[Motown) never digs back into those old tapes to think about releasing any of them now” – Syreeta, December 1972.

Forty-odd years have come and gone since Syreeta Wright spoke those words, and sadly Syreeta herself has gone with them. We hope that if she were with us now, she'd reconsider that thought, and be pleased to hear these tunes again. Fourteen of them, some previously released, were recorded in Detroit between 1967 and 1969. The remainder are taken from two recently rediscovered tapes recorded in L.A. during the first six months of 1970, and none of them have appeared before.

The CD will be released by Ace Records on their Kent label at the end of September. Track list is as follows:

I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You
Ain't I Gonna Win Your Love *
It Don't Mean Nothin' To Me *
Something On My Mind
Beware Of A Stranger
That's What He Told Me *
I Want To Go Back There Again *
Bad Boy *
Give Back The Good Things
Hurtin' Me [[Became A Habit) *
Can't Stop *
Where Is The Love
Mind, Body And Soul *
You *
Save The Country *
Since You Came Back *
Can You Feel It, Babe *
Love Child *
Where There's A Will There's A Way *
Love's Gone Bad *
Love My Lovin' Man *
You Made Me Feel Like Everything Was Alright
[[Touched) By The Hand Of Love *
May His Love Shine Forever *

* Previously unreleased

Laserdk
08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

“It’s a completely different type of music from an era that will never return. I hope that [[Motown) never digs back into those old tapes to think about releasing any of them now” – Syreeta, December 1972.

Forty-odd years have come and gone since Syreeta Wright spoke those words, and sadly Syreeta herself has gone with them. We hope that if she were with us now, she'd reconsider that thought, and be pleased to hear these tunes again. Fourteen of them, some previously released, were recorded in Detroit between 1967 and 1969. The remainder are taken from two recently rediscovered tapes recorded in L.A. during the first six months of 1970, and none of them have appeared before.

The CD will be released by Ace Records on their Kent label at the end of September. Track list is as follows:

Something On My Mind
Beware Of A Stranger
That's What He Told Me *
Bad Boy *
Can't Stop *
Where Is The Love
Mind, Body And Soul *
You *
Save The Country *
Since You Came Back *
Can You Feel It, Babe *
Love Child *
Love's Gone Bad *
Love My Lovin' Man *

* Previously unreleased

Many thanks for this one Keith and all the good folks at Ace/Kent for getting this out especially as it contains 18 previously unreleased tracks from Syreeta's late '60s/early /70s Motown period.

Ivor

carole cucumber
08-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks Mr. Hughes.
I am looking forward to it.
I am curious about one title in particular..."Hurtin'Me [[Became A Habit)" . Other than the title is there any connection to "Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit"- composer[[s)? Timeline? etc.
O.K.,.... maybe a second. Does "May His Love Shine Forever" contain the same backing track as the version released by the Supremes?

carlo
08-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Wow!!! Getting this one for sure! Very exciting news! Thank you to everyone involved. Wonderful!

RossHolloway
08-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Sign me up!!!

sophisticated_soul
08-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Looking forward to this CD!:)

mysterysinger
08-08-2016, 03:19 PM
It was only yesterday that I was listening to "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You" and thinking what a great song and rendition by Syreeta/Rita. Mouthwatering track list for this new CD and I spotted "I Want To Go Back There Again" and also "Mind, Body & Soul" which I assume is the same song as recorded by Suzee Ikeeda and which I love. Another definite for the collection - looking forward to it arriving. Thanks all involved.

copley
08-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Methinks that this will be the Motown highlight of 2016 :)

Bluebrock
08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Ace are just the very best!! Long may they continue to enrich our lives with these wonderful releases.

thommg
08-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Oh, yes! This is a definite buy. To have the few previously released all on one disc with such a great array of unreleased material - Priceless! Thank you, Ace/Kent and Keith Hughes!!

RossHolloway
08-08-2016, 04:15 PM
oh, yes! This is a definite buy. To have the few previously released all on one disc with such a great array of unreleased material - priceless! Thank you, ace/kent and keith hughes!!

***this***

I do wonder if this collection includes all of her recorded material during this time frame. I also wonder what else was discovered on "rediscovered tapes". And how the discovery was made. Just thinking out loud..

jboy88
08-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Does Mr. Wonder have any involvement in the production of the unreleased material, or was this before they started working together professionally?

carole cucumber
08-08-2016, 05:04 PM
***this***

I do wonder if this collection includes all of her recorded material during this time frame. I also wonder what else was discovered on "rediscovered tapes". And how the discovery was made. Just thinking out loud..

Good questions. I was wondering the same, but didn't want to press my luck by asking too much. I'm sure that Keith Hughes will share with us as much as he can without spoiling any other future surprises.

carole cucumber
08-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I also failed to mention Mr. Hughes apparently carefully chosen brilliant wording in the title of this thread.

kenneth
08-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I have never taken the time to listen to a lot of Syreeta's recordings, but I think "With You I'm Born Again" is sublime. I'm looking forward to hearing these early recordings! Great choice for an underappreciated artist!

rovereab
08-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Wow, can't wait for this release given the excellence of Ace's other albums.

Syreeta had a fantastic voice which I am sure will make this album a real treat for us all.

snakepit
08-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Wonderful news...thanks to Ace/Kent and Keith...

sansradio
08-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Incredible! I may have to make my first Ace purchase! Thanks, all!

danman869
08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Although this is probably insignificant, but with the lovely tinting done to the original black and white photo, the artist forgot Syreeta/Rita's gums. Missing tint, they are a drab shade of gray. If there's still time [[which I hope there would be), Ace's art department may want to revisit the photo and "finish the job."

That said, I am EXCITED about this release! Ace appreciates Motown and always does very well by their customers. THANK YOU, Ace [[and Keith!) and I can't wait to see what other Motown releases might come from you in the coming months and years!

carole cucumber
08-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Although this is probably insignificant, but with the lovely tinting done to the original black and white photo, the artist forgot Syreeta/Rita's gums. Missing tint, they are a drab shade of gray. If there's still time [[which I hope there would be), Ace's art department may want to revisit the photo and "finish the job." ...

There may be.
When I suggested a few small changes needed for Motown Girls Vol I colorized photo of the Velvelettes, there musn't have been ample time. But for the Vandellas on the cover of Motown Girls 2 , my suggestions were taken and utilized. I hope that your suggestion is taken. It has been reported that Berry sent many of his artists for dental work. I can't imagine that Rita would have had some untreatable periodontal disease that made her gums that shade which could not be corrected. [[LOL)
I also noticed that the lighter colored edge on the left of Rita's sleeveless top/dress is not followed through on the right.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Keith & Ace -- Thanks for yet another tasty Motown morsel! Keep 'em coming!

- Gary

longtimefan
08-09-2016, 12:03 AM
With this CD, we will be able to hear Syreeta's voice and performing skills during those years when she was being considered as Diana's replacement. That should be interesting!

gordy_hunk
08-09-2016, 04:24 AM
Syreeta - as I've written before - was for me, amazing. Her voice was just so beautiful, and in my opinion, so underestimated for her incredible talents.

I see the CD also includes her version of 'love child', which is more haunting than the original.

Wonderful forthcoming release. I hope Harry W has had an input into the liner notes, and I'm sure he'll be as delighted as we all are for this fantastic and overdue release.

Thanks Keith for informing us about the release.

mysterysinger
08-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Wonder if she recorded a full version of "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing" without Martha back then.

dickiemint
08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Surprised by this release, don't think anyone on the forum guessed Syreeta/ Rita Wright for the subject of next Ace CD, I for one am thrilled loved her voice and enjoyed her tracks on the cellarful series, thanks Keith and the team, hope there is more on the way from Ace soon.

mike_sku
08-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Wow! I can barely contain my excitement! I am really looking forward to this! Thank you to all the Ace/Kent folks. Keep up the great work!

RossHolloway
08-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Surprised by this release, don't think anyone on the forum guessed Syreeta/ Rita Wright for the subject of next Ace CD, I for one am thrilled loved her voice and enjoyed her tracks on the cellarful series, thanks Keith and the team, hope there is more on the way from Ace soon.

Actually someone asked about Syreeta not too long ago...

honest man
08-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Thank You ACE guys,nice surprise , nought wrong with cover it is correct for the time and music ,why change anything it was how it was right then,can't wait, Although the Love Child version it seems to screetch a lot ,i reckon does not touch Diana and Andantes my opinion may change[NOT]],When i hear official version though.THANK YOU MILLIONS ACE.cheers.

keith_hughes
08-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I forgot to credit TONY ROUNCE at Ace for posing the question, "Why not a Rita Wright CD?" and for guiding the project through the long road to clearance. Tony's writing the essay, and as usual I'll be doing the annos.

Lots of q's from you, here are a few answers. Stevie co-wrote and co-produced "Ain't I Gonna Win Your Love". There seems to be one more track available from the period, maybe it'll fit on a Motown Girls comp one day. "May His Love Shine Forever" was overdubbed by the Supremes for the Rock Gospel album. "Hurtin' Me" was written by Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones. And the rediscovered tapes ... it's a long story ... these things happen. Just as well they do, because till we found them and listened, we didn't have enough material from the period to make a CD! Credit there to the Fat Man In The Third Row for his diligent scanning of tape sources.

marybrewster
08-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Spectacular! Amazing! WONDERful!

Thank you Mr. Hughes and ACE and all involved for continually bringing us these treasures.....and on PHYSICAL form!

xo

brother_love
08-09-2016, 03:19 PM
I do hope they add a little more warmth to Syreeta's skin tone on the cover. She looks a bit green and it's just not looking right at the moment. What do you think?

robb_k
08-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Great news! I LOVED her one Rita Wright single. I can't wait to hear some of those unreleased cuts, like "Love's Gone Bad".

mowsville
08-09-2016, 04:14 PM
ACE/KENT can do no wrong in my eyes..like ive said before each and every Motown release has been utterly superb..I have supported them by purchasing every release and I will carry on...this set looks stunning and I cant wait for it to drop...thanks Keith and Co.

danman869
08-10-2016, 11:36 AM
I do hope they add a little more warmth to Syreeta's skin tone on the cover. She looks a bit green and it's just not looking right at the moment. What do you think?

BrotherLove! Great job re-toning the cover! Hopefully Ace can use your idea and make some adjustments. There is an unusual green tone to the photo--especially next to your change. Fix the "gray" gums and re-tone the photo [[but I do love the ordinal background color!) and they'd have a real winner of a CD cover!

brother_love
08-10-2016, 01:27 PM
BrotherLove! Great job re-toning the cover! Hopefully Ace can use your idea and make some adjustments. There is an unusual green tone to the photo--especially next to your change. Fix the "gray" gums and re-tone the photo [[but I do love the ordinal background color!) and they'd have a real winner of a CD cover!

Dan, I agree with you I do like the light blue background as well. I'm not a pro so I didn't know how to keep that color. I can't wait for this release! Thank the heavens for ACE.

mysterysinger
08-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Currently £13.61 on Amazon UK

144man
08-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Thank you for this unexpected treat. I can hardly wait.

masterblaster
08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
With this CD, we will be able to hear Syreeta's voice and performing skills during those years when she was being considered as Diana's replacement. That should be interesting!
Assuming the 'Love Child' track is the same as the DRATS version, in which case this will be a good track to see if Syreeta would have been a good replacement for Diana. Perhaps this was recorded as an audition.

RossHolloway
08-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Assuming the 'Love Child' track is the same as the DRATS version, in which case this will be a good track to see if Syreeta would have been a good replacement for Diana. Perhaps this was recorded as an audition.

Syreeta sang the demo from which DR learned the song. This is legendary.

masterblaster
08-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Syreeta sang the demo from which DR learned the song. This is legendary.
Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that before but it makes sense. I now understand that BG wanted her as the lead singer after Jean Terrell had been chosen.

carlo
08-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Yes, I agree that the re-toned cover looks much better.

honest man
08-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Something On My Mind
Beware Of A Stranger
That's What He Told Me *
Bad Boy *
Can't Stop *
Where Is The Love
Mind, Body And Soul *
You *
Save The Country *
Since You Came Back *
Can You Feel It, Babe *
Love Child *
Love's Gone Bad *
Love My Lovin' Man *

* Previously unreleased

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/syreeta-the-rita-wright-years-rare-motown-1967-1970 Now up on ACE Site,i wonder if YOU Is same song on Diana's LTISH Album.interesting.cheers.

honest man
08-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Assuming the 'Love Child' track is the same as the DRATS version, in which case this will be a good track to see if Syreeta would have been a good replacement for Diana. Perhaps this was recorded as an audition.Yes it is the same track as legendary Diana Ross song.i have it somewhere if i remember it has extra verse also and i think Syreeta struggled trying to keep up and also with her vocal range, if not correct maybe i had a bad copy .cheers.

motown01
08-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks Keith! If it wasn't for you guys, we wouldn't have many releases to look forward to these days.

mysterysinger
08-14-2016, 04:38 AM
Amazon description [[still £13.61).
"One of Motown's best loved female acts of the 70s and 80s finally receives a long overdue overview of her first recordings from 1967-70. These tracks were recorded when Syreeta was still being marketed by Motown as Rita Wright. Only two were issued at the time of recording. A formidable 17 are seeing the light of day here for the first time. She was teamed with many of Motown's top producers of the period, including Ashford & Simpson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Hal Davis, Hank Cosby and her future husband Stevie Wonder. All brought top-drawer material to the table in the hope of finding her a hit. The CD includes what appears to be a completed and shelved 1970 album for Motown's Mowest subsidiary, featuring her versions of Motown classics by the Miracles, Chris Clark and Marvin Gaye, among others. Continued interest in Syreeta Wright's later Motown material is sure to fuel strong demand for this strong package. It features a detailed note and comprehensive annotations from acknowledged Motown expert Keith Hughes."

carlo
08-14-2016, 10:21 AM
I pre-ordered mine on Amazon Canada. Great price [[$17)!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01K3C5L7Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471184384&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=syreeta+rita&dpPl=1&dpID=51-0WNEltLL&ref=plSrch

longtimefan
08-14-2016, 10:30 AM
The CD is also available for oreorder on the United States Amazon site for $15.99.

tamlaUK
08-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Just ordered my copy - can't wait!

keith_hughes
08-26-2016, 03:52 AM
I have some sad news for Ace/Motown fans. We've lost Vicki Fox, the artist who brought colour to so many of our CD covers. "Something On My Mind" was the last CD she worked on. The booklet hasn't yet gone to print, so we'll be able to add a special note of thanks to her.

There's a tribute page here: http://acerecords.co.uk/features/vicki-fox-tributes/vicki-fox-tributes

R.I.P.

Keith

theboyfromxtown
08-26-2016, 05:29 AM
How very sad. RIP Vicki Fox

Thoughts go out to her family and friends at this time of great sadness.

bradburger
09-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Sound samples now up: -

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/syreeta-the-rita-wright-years-rare-motown-1967-1970

:)

Cheers

Paul

RossHolloway
09-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Excellent! I just listened to most of the tracks and the sound is outstanding, I can't wait for this release.

144man
09-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Sound samples sound great. It's nice to hear the Rose Batiste song again.

dickiemint
09-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Less than a week til release for this CD I see that the price has gone up on Amazon UK

lakedistrictlad1
09-23-2016, 09:17 AM
I picked out about 8 sound samples, and every track was glorious. What a superb addition to my Motown collection this will be. And how on earth did so much of this music not see the light of day back then?

rovereab
09-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Having listened to all of the samples I have only one thing to say, WOW!

wedgeville
09-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Yes, the samples sound great. Gonna be a great collection, and long overdue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

Wayne

danman869
09-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Mine is scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday, 9/27. Especially after having listened to the sound clips, I can't wait for this set! I believe several of these tracks were originally recorded with the intention of having Diana Ross and The Supremes put vocals on them--but that never happened for whatever reasons. I just wonder whether Syreeta's performance of these songs were polished demos or full-on recordings intended for possible release by her?

So... now that we've [[mostly) "freed Syreeta" can the freeing of Blinky be very far behind...?! I can already tell this Syreeta set is going to be another of Ace's phenomenal releases! Give them full-access to the Motown vaults already, Universal!

TomatoTom123
09-24-2016, 07:49 PM
I know I'm probably being [[completely) unrealistic and inconvenient and kinda off-topic [[soz) but is there any chance it will be available on iTunes?

I know that the Motown Anthology [[Kim Weston, Elgins, etc) and Motown Collection [[Jimmy Ruffin, Brenda Holloway, etc) albums are, but the Ace Records/Kent Soul ones [[Marv Johnson, Fantastic Four, etc) are not, which is a shame!!

Anyways
Syreeta was a brilliant singer and it's great to see her being freed from the Motown vaults!!

superlou
09-26-2016, 07:00 PM
My copy should be here on Thursday. Has anyone received their copy?

carlo
09-26-2016, 08:23 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Vicki, rest in peace. She's done wonderful work.

I was listening to some of the samples and it sounds great! "Loves Gone Bad" sounds hot!

soulwally
09-27-2016, 09:13 AM
I have some sad news for Ace/Motown fans. We've lost Vicki Fox, the artist who brought colour to so many of our CD covers. "Something On My Mind" was the last CD she worked on. The booklet hasn't yet gone to print, so we'll be able to add a special note of thanks to her.

There's a tribute page here: http://acerecords.co.uk/features/vicki-fox-tributes/vicki-fox-tributes

R.I.P.

Keith
Another brilliant cover. All the Motown releases via Ace have had absolutely top-notch covers. RIP Vicki

lakedistrictlad1
09-27-2016, 04:36 PM
My copy arrived today. I've just spent a wonderful hour or so luxuriating in 'new' Motown. I can honestly say there isn't a duff track on the set.

Even my hubbie came in to the room and asked who it was as he liked it so much.

Syreeta should have been very proud of these recordings.

What an amazing CD. Can't thank the team at ACE enough. 5 stars!!

thommg
09-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Mine is scheduled to be delivered this Tuesday, 9/27.

Dan, where did you order from in order to get it today? Amazon US is saying release date is October 7. I haven't placed an order yet but if someplace is already shipping then I'll order from there.

danman869
09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Dan, where did you order from in order to get it today? Amazon US is saying release date is October 7. I haven't placed an order yet but if someplace is already shipping then I'll order from there.

Thom, I usually shop for Ace and other import releases at EBrecords.com. They're located in Northern California and I usually get my deliveries within 2 days after ordering. Ernie is a good guy and I like ordering from him because not only is the service prompt and the selection wide, but it's a good way to support small business when I can.

superlou
09-28-2016, 11:07 PM
My copy was in my mailbox today. Halfway through the CD and I have to say it is just amazing. I was a bit wary of this release only because I'm not a huge fan of Syreeta, but every track on this release is a winner so far. Will be listening to this again on the ride to work.

mysterysinger
09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Mine's been dispatched. Can't wait.

mowsville
10-01-2016, 03:38 AM
Outstanding Keith and Co.....expected nothing less from you...you sure do the best job for us...I cant stop playing this one....thank you...thank you.

dickiemint
10-01-2016, 05:54 AM
My copy has arrived so it will be on repeat in the car from now until the next release!!!

wedgeville
10-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Loving this set. Well done to Keith and all involved. Can't stop playing "Bad Boy", which I find absolutely amazing.

Wayne

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

mysterysinger
10-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Have to agree about "Bad Boy". Only realised it was The Miracles song [[Bad Girl) upon hearing it but she does a great job. My fave on the CD [[after ICGBTLIFFY). For now at least. Great CD all round. Credit to all involved, not least Syreeta.

mr soul
10-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Another great Motown CD from Ace or should that be an Ace CD from Motown whatever, outstanding track for me is "It Don't Mean Nothing To Me".

Roger Polhill
10-06-2016, 01:01 AM
I`m thoroughly enjoying mine and it`s better than I thought it would be. However I must complain that there is no mention of the possibly proposed album "Rita Wright" GS. 941. Oh I feel that Keith is going to dash my hopes again! :)

144man
10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
An excellent CD as expected. On first hearing, I particularly liked "Since You Came Back" and the updates of "That's What He Told Me" and "Love's Gone Bad".

keith_hughes
10-07-2016, 04:40 AM
I`m thoroughly enjoying mine and it`s better than I thought it would be. However I must complain that there is no mention of the possibly proposed album "Rita Wright" GS. 941. Oh I feel that Keith is going to dash my hopes again! :)

The album's listed in David Bianco's book and on the "Both Sides Now" site, but I've never found any trace of it in surviving Motown paperwork, Roger: I don't know where they got their info from. Going by the catalogue number it would have come out in 1969, and the two LA tapes of unissued material we found date from early 1970. But who knows?

Roger Polhill
10-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Thank`s Keith. I would have thought that the 1968 Detroit tracks would have been the ones.
However it is another wonderful Ace release and many thanks to all involved. I live in hope.
Any clues as to the next offering?

captainjames
10-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Syreeta was the ultimate Diva

midnight johnny
10-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Keith...are you able to say who the person was that remixed/remastered that great track on this Syreeta compilation "Love My Lovin' Man". Thanks so much!

keith_hughes
10-12-2016, 08:36 AM
The mixing engineer is credited in the booklet, Richard Hughes. He's mixed all the tracks that have needed mixing on Ace/Motown CDs.

dickiemint
10-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Big thanks to Keith Hughes and the Ace team. I am loving this CD it has been on constantly in my car since it's realase and it's now prompting me to pull out my other Ace CD s for a replay Fantastic Four to start I think !!! Any clues to what's next Keith ???

kenneth
11-01-2016, 12:44 AM
It is a fabulous piece and as usual the Ace/Kent guys are flawless in their execution. A really nice tribute to an under appreciated talent from Motown's Silver Age.

I'd love to see some Edwin Starr get the Ace treatment!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Wow! What an exciting and surprising package from start to finish! The Motown and ACE teams have come up with yet another winning CD from the Motown vaults! Please keep 'em coming!

keith_hughes
11-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all kind comments. We certainly intend to keep 'em coming. Until we can fill that pledge, I guess the next new thing for Motown fans to watch out for is the Universal [[US) Motown 1966 Unreleased digital release. I'll tell you more when I'm allowed to, but here in the preparation world it's sounding very good ... I mean, 1966! The best Motown year ever? Discuss.

carole cucumber
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
A little late to the party, but does anyone else feel as if Syreeta is chanelling Jean Terrell on her vocals for Bad Boy? If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that Syreeta was singing a demo version for Jean - but this is a Mowest recording.

captainjames
11-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks to Keith Hughes and the Ace team. Syreeta was rare and loved by many. I get the feeling there is a lot more in the vault on this lady.

carlo
11-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Listening to this wonderful CD tonight again and "Bad Boy" also stood out to me. I was pleasantly surprised! She really takes it to church!

I was listening to "Love Gone Bad" a few minutes ago and noticed the great "Wooo!" in the fade out from the background.

I am curious about some of the background vocals on these tracks. I was listening to "Ain't I Gonna Win Your Love" and thought maybe it is the Andantes? But I am doubting this because whoever they are...they're singing "higher" than the Andantes' usual sound/harmonies. Maybe it is them and the higher harmonies are throwing me off?? Also curious who some of the males are on background vocals on a few of the tracks.

Well done on this release! Also, I couldn't help but notice the reference to a couple of unreleased Supremes' tracks in the booklet, "Mind, Body and Soul" [[70's Supremes) and "I Want To Go Back There Again" [[I am assuming also 70's Supremes?). I believe I have a bootleg of the first track somewhere [[?) but the second track is news to me. Could an unreleased 70's Supremes ACE compilation be on the way? :)

danman869
11-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Also, I couldn't help but notice the reference to a couple of unreleased Supremes' tracks in the booklet, "Mind, Body and Soul" [[70's Supremes) and "I Want To Go Back There Again" [[I am assuming also 70's Supremes?). I believe I have a bootleg of the first track somewhere [[?) but the second track is news to me. Could an unreleased 70's Supremes ACE compilation be on the way? :)

Hey Carlo... the track, "I Want To Go Back There Again" heard on this compilation was also utilized by Thelma Houston in 1971 or 72 and then Diana Ross around 1972/73--just with different mixes and/or overdubs on each. Not sure whether or not the 70s Supremes *got a crack at the same track or a new track was recorded for them to sing on. [[Wouldn't that be great, though, if a 70s Sups version DID exist?!)

I'm also suspecting that the Hal Davis tracks were either intended for The Jackson 5 or possibly demos...? They sound very J5 to me.

It's an awesome collection. Thank you Keith and the Ace crew!

carole cucumber
01-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Congratulations to Keith Hughes & the Ace crew who have been acknowledged as recipients of a 2016 Gold Bonus Disc Award from The Second Disc. Well deserved!!!!!!

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/01/the-year-in-review-the-2016-gold-bonus-disc-awards-from-a-to-z/

keith_hughes
01-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Ms C, that's a nice award to have!

bradsupremes
01-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Keith, I got the Syreeta CD for Christmas, which I absolutely love! I do have a question: There was a rumor that Syreeta recorded a lead vocal on "Up The Ladder To The Roof." Did you ever happen to find that in the vaults when you were putting together this collection?

keith_hughes
01-04-2017, 05:07 AM
No we didn't though we weren't specifically looking for it. I guess it might turn up one day.