PDA

View Full Version : If the Marvelettes had recorded Where Did Our Love Go...

test

luke
07-29-2016, 10:19 PM
I imagine this has been discussed in some form before but I don't recall. Would HDH have split their songs with the Supremes, though they pretty much stopped with MR and Vandellas.? Would there have been room for the Suprmea to ascend? I imagine yes as the Supremes were so talented and ambitious They were Berrys girls. Id guess both groups though wouldn't have gotten as huge as the Supremes became of having to share the wealth !just fun to speculate. Wanda had 'Diana potential" but I guess personal problems would have affected that.

marv2
07-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Gladys Horton would have sounded great on that song.

captainjames
07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Baby Love would have been the first hit by the Supremes and Berry would have went from there.

reese
07-29-2016, 11:20 PM
If the Marvelettes had recorded WDOLG, it probably would have remained an album track, which in at least one interview, Lamont Dozier said it was supposed to be.

If it had been released as a single and become a hit, of course, HDH would have continued to work with the Marvelettes. However, they also would have continued working with the other acts as well. None of the others had the long string of continuous HDH releases like the Supremes did. But until they left the label, HDH wrote hits and album tracks on everyone from the Four Tops to the Vandellas to the Elgins to Jr. Walker, as well as the Supremes.

theboyfromxtown
07-30-2016, 04:44 AM
The Velvelettes were also offered the song and turned it down.

When I asked Cal Street about that song, she said that Diane [[that is what she calls her) was perfect for that song.

honest man
07-30-2016, 05:46 AM
The Velvelettes were also offered the song and turned it down.

When I asked Cal Street about that song, she said that Diane [[that is what she calls her) was perfect for that song. john she is absolutely correct,cheers for that.

BigAl
07-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Gladys Horton would have sounded great on that song.
I'll have to disagree and feel that Wanda would have done a much better job on it than Gladys might have, had it been given to The Marvelettes. At that time, however, Wanda had done very few leads so it likely would have gone to Gladys. Still, the song was designed for a softer approach than The Marvelettes had been accustomed to doing, so Dozier was probably correct in his contention that it would have been no more than an album track. Diane was singing so nasally and at a higher pitch at the time, as we know, and was made to pitch it down by almost an octave, and to soften the delivery, and that was just what was needed. In my opinion, the success of the song was due to equal parts production and serendipity.

theboyfromxtown
07-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Donnie Elbert had a huge hit with it many years later.

When I heard it first time, I was surprised that he managed to give such an excellent rendition.

BigAl
07-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Donnie Elbert had a huge hit with it many years later. When I heard it first time, I was surprised that he managed to give such an excellent rendition.
It charted pretty well, as did Soft Cell's medley of it, paired with their remake of Gloria Jones' "Tainted Love." Still and all, however, the originals of course were far better.

marv2
07-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Donnie Elbert had a huge hit with it many years later.

When I heard it first time, I was surprised that he managed to give such an excellent rendition.

It was a brilliant version. I also like this version done in the style of Donnie Elbert by Manhattan Transfer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qogciiBYo

marv2
07-30-2016, 07:16 PM
I'll have to disagree and feel that Wanda would have done a much better job on it than Gladys might have, had it been given to The Marvelettes. At that time, however, Wanda had done very few leads so it likely would have gone to Gladys. Still, the song was designed for a softer approach than The Marvelettes had been accustomed to doing, so Dozier was probably correct in his contention that it would have been no more than an album track. Diane was singing so nasally and at a higher pitch at the time, as we know, and was made to pitch it down by almost an octave, and to soften the delivery, and that was just what was needed. In my opinion, the success of the song was due to equal parts production and serendipity.

Mary Wilson was also considered for the lead. On the original recording she is very prominent on backing vocals.

arr&bee
07-30-2016, 07:19 PM
It wouldn't have made much difference,wanda would've nailed it of course,but berry was determined to make the supremes a top act.

Motown Eddie
07-30-2016, 07:22 PM
I imagine this has been discussed in some form before but I don't recall. Would HDH have split their songs with the Supremes, though they pretty much stopped with MR and Vandellas.? Would there have been room for the Suprmea to ascend? I imagine yes as the Supremes were so talented and ambitious They were Berrys girls. Id guess both groups though wouldn't have gotten as huge as the Supremes became of having to share the wealth !just fun to speculate. Wanda had 'Diana potential" but I guess personal problems would have affected that.
It's impossible to know what would've happened if The Marvelettes had recorded [[and released) "Where Did Our Love Go in 1964. It could've been an LP cut [[or a B-side) which would still leave room for a re-make by The Supremes. IMHO, I'd like to know what would've happened if Motown had released "Knock On My Door" [[also written by HDH) in 64. For me, this song combines that classic 'girl-group' feel of their early songs with the energy of The Vandellas' "Heat Wave" & "Quicksand".

marv2
07-30-2016, 07:34 PM
It wouldn't have made much difference,wanda would've nailed it of course,but berry was determined to make the supremes a top act.

There you go! The best answer to this question.

marv2
07-30-2016, 07:37 PM
It's impossible to know what would've happened if The Marvelettes had recorded [[and released) "Where Did Our Love Go in 1964. It could've been an LP cut [[or a B-side) which would still leave room for a re-make by The Supremes. IMHO, I'd like to know what would've happened if Motown had released "Knock On My Door" [[also written by HDH) in 64. For me, this song combines that classic 'girl-group' feel of their early songs with the energy of The Vandellas' "Heat Wave" & "Quicksand".

It is a decent song and record, but it would not have stood up as long as "Where Did Our Love Go?" "Knock on My Door" It sounds very dated today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkCp-Tgdo

greg jones
07-30-2016, 10:59 PM
Marie Osmond also did an interesting arrangement on WDOLG on her album This Is The Way That I Feel in 1977 that was produced by Rick Hall in Muscle Shoals. I had heard that Polydor had considered releasing it as a single.

honest man
08-12-2016, 11:08 AM
IF Is a very BIG word,how can you improve on perfection DRATS Could never be bettered on this song.

RossHolloway
08-12-2016, 02:26 PM
If the Marvelettes had recorded WDOLG, it probably would have remained an album track, which in at least one interview, Lamont Dozier said it was supposed to be.

If it had been released as a single and become a hit, of course, HDH would have continued to work with the Marvelettes. However, they also would have continued working with the other acts as well. None of the others had the long string of continuous HDH releases like the Supremes did. But until they left the label, HDH wrote hits and album tracks on everyone from the Four Tops to the Vandellas to the Elgins to Jr. Walker, as well as the Supremes.

I don't think, to my knowledge, that HDH ever worked with Stevie Wonder. and I think they only cut one or two tracks on the Temptations. Or did I miss something?

144man
08-13-2016, 07:28 AM
I don't think, to my knowledge, that HDH ever worked with Stevie Wonder. and I think they only cut one or two tracks on the Temptations. Or did I miss something?

HDH worked with Stevie Wonder on his version of "Baby Don't You Do It".

theboyfromxtown
08-13-2016, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rodGHamiY9U