PDA

View Full Version : Review: Rhonda Ross, “In Case You Didn’t Know”

test

jack020
07-28-2016, 01:52 AM
http://theseconddisc.com/2016/07/27/in-case-you-didnt-know/

In Case You Didn’t Know: Rhonda Ross has dropped a new release. The album of that title showcases the singer-songwriter on a set of fourteen potent, original tracks. Ross, a gifted vocalist with an expressive instrument, has written or co-written every song on the album, and though the CD’s exclusive retailer CD Baby [[http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rhondaross1) categorizes the record as “Jazz Fusion” – calling to mind the liquid soundscapes of Return to Forever or Weather Report – that term only tells part of the artist’s story. The fresh sounds on In Case You Didn’t Know blur the lines between jazz, R&B, soul, and pop in persuasive fashion, proving that one can stretch the boundaries of traditional song forms and styles without sacrificing memorable melodies and universally accessible lyrics.
The title track melds Ross’ beguilingly impressionistic lyrical imagery to a sinuous groove of elegant piano lines, warm brass, slinky bass and driving drums. In case you didn’t know the singer before the opening track, it sets the tone for Ross’ varied exploration of life and love. Produced by Ross with arrangements by the singer, pianist/keyboardist Terry Burrus and others, the album captures her vibrant personality and sharp musicality. Supporting Ross is a tight band consisting of Burrus, drummer Kevin Harrington, trumpeter Duane Eubanks, saxophonist Daryl Yokley and background singers Keesha Gumbs, Terelle Tipton and Sheniqua Trotman.
A beautifully intimate a cappella prelude graces the lighter-than-air “Summer Day,” capturing the clarity on love and life that can come with a perfect day [[“A day like today helps me to know, even with our setbacks, our love can grow/A day like today helps me to feel even though it’s faded/Our love’s still real…”). The sultry rhythm of “Breathe” serves as a kind of musical counterpoint, as Ross recognizes the very real need for one to take a personal moment out in the frustrating clamor of an everyday grind. [[“Ain’t no time to breathe/You don’t even notice that you’re gasping for air…”) The singer draws upon her spirituality in the heartfelt, emotionally honest lyrics while the track’s piano and percussion bear a happy Latin influence. The brash, exciting horns [[redolent of The Emotions’ classic “Best of My Love”) serve as a final grace note on this standout performance. The presence of God in Ross’ life also is felt on “It Don’t Matter,” an ode to acceptance and tolerance, and the touching ballad “You’re My Song.”
Ross the empathetic storyteller conjures a place of longing on the urgent “Here Right Now,” moving from a spare, pensive introduction to a commanding whirl of voice and instrumentation. She seamlessly glides from the personal to the political on the moving “Drumbeat of Life” [[featuring an impassioned spoken-word plea that’s all too sadly relevant) and “Run On,” inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. The latter, heard both in a solo rendition and a rap version featuring Jaliyl YaSeen, epitomizes Ross’ uplifting and affecting worldview[[“Things won’t always be easy, they won’t always be fair/One foot in front of the other, and your heart will get you there”) even when addressing such a powerful subject. Self-reliance is the theme of “Nobody’s Business” which incorporates tips of the hat to “[[You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman” and the blues standard “Ain’t Nobody’s Business [[If I Do),” most famously recorded by Billie Holiday.
The musical textures on In Case You Didn’t Know are as diverse as the lyrics. For “Evermore,” a soaring duet with Terelle Tipton, guitar makes a rare appearance courtesy of Tom Askin. The empowering “From Now On” blends gospel piano chords with smoky saxophone, while a breezy jazz flavor comes to the fore on the deliciously upbeat “All I Want.” Like “Nobody’s Business,” it knowingly recalls a certain supreme personage, here with a coquettish refrain of “Baby, baby.”
Yes, Rhonda Ross is the daughter of Diana Ross and Berry Gordy. But as a recording artist and a songwriter, she blazes a trail of her own with vivacity and originality on In Case You Didn’t Know. Through her music and lyrics she pays tribute to the enduring legacy of her parents with a fresh, soulful set of songs that are very much of today. With this confident release, one thing is clear: Rhonda Ross is an artist who knows where she’s going to.
You can order In Case You Didn’t Know now at CD Baby [[http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rhondaross1), and a digital download edition is also available at Amazon U.S. [[https://www.amazon.com/Case-You-Didnt-Know/dp/B01IIPQ0FC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1469597974&sr=8-1&keywords=rhonda+ross+in+case+you+didn%27t+know&linkCode=ll1&tag=thesecdis-20&linkId=7178c009df5d2799c228c27397e3e959)!

RossHolloway
07-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks for posting, I will definitely go and check out this release.

Jimi LaLumia
07-28-2016, 03:46 PM
sharing lloking forward to hearing and reviewing this