PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes70s best tracks

test

daviddh
07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
what do you think some of the best 70s songs /tracks were?
heres a few of mine.
here comes the sunrise
love it came to me this time
shine on me
time to break down
when can brown begin
now the bitter now the sweet
love train
over and over.....

with scherrie

bend a little
sha la bandit
color my world blue
sweet dream machine
you are the heart of me
its all been said before

and of course the hits .

Bluebrock
07-24-2016, 12:57 PM
heres a few of mine.
here comes the sunrise
shine on me
time to break down
when can brown begin
love train
over and over.....

with scherrie

bend a little
sha la bandit
color my world blue
sweet dream machine
you are the heart of me
its all been said before

and of course the hits .
Some of my favourites there too David.
From the Jean years i would add
The loving country
and i love you more
i wish i was your mirror

From the Scherrie years

Where do we go from here
i don't wanna lose you
Your whats missing in my life
We should be closer together

Great songs!!

blkfrost
07-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Here are my favorites

Jean Terrell years:
Touch
Here Comes The Sunrise
Nathan Jones
I Guess I'll Miss The Man
When Can Brown Begin
5:30 Plane
Now The Bitter Now The Sweet
Over And Over
Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
Precious Little Things

with The Four Tops:
Where Would I Be Without You Baby
I'm Glad About It
It's Impossible
When I'm With You
Do You Love Me Just A Little Honey

Scherrie Payne years:
Where Do I Go From Here
Color My World Blue
Seed Of Love
Can We Love Again
High Energy
You're What's Missing In My Life
Sweet Dream Machine
Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good

Ollie9
07-25-2016, 03:50 AM
We Should Be Closer Together is for me the best Supremes song of the 70's. The contrast in Mary and Susaye's voices made them an exciting combination. I really wish they could have recorded a duet album together. :cool:

Bluebrock
07-25-2016, 04:39 AM
We Should Be Closer Together is for me the best Supremes song of the 70's. The contrast in Mary and Susaye's voices made them an exciting combination. I really wish they could have recorded a duet album together. :cool:

It really was a beautiful song. Mary really came into her own around this time. She was brilliant on those ballads from the final three albums.

daviddh
07-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Agree and You are The Heart Of Me is beautiful.

sansradio
07-25-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary really shines on this one; IMHO, it easily surpasses Dionne Warwick's version in passion and power.

Bluebrock
07-25-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary really shines on this one; IMHO, it easily surpasses Dionne Warwick's version in passion and power.

I meant to mention it sansradio! I agree it is better than Dionne's version, and this is coming from a huge Ms Warwick fan, but in fairness to Dionne I heard the Supremes version first. Great vocal performance from Mary.

sup_fan
07-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Jean leads:
Up the Ladder
Stoned Love
But I Love You More
Bill When Are You Coming Back [[mono 45 mix - jean lets loose a bit more)
Together we can make such sweet music - the octave jump Jean does in the intro!!!
Thank Him For Today
This is the story
Here comes the sunrise
It's so hard for me to say goodbye
Now the Bitter Now the sweet
Auto Sunshine
5:30 plane

Group leads:
Bridge over troubled water - gorgeous vocals, although a bit heavy handed with the production
Sweet Dream Machine

Mary leads:
Can We love again
Don't let my teardrops bother you - lp versions are great but her live version on Mike Douglas is amazing
We should be closer together

Scherrie leads:
I can never recover
Let Yourself Go
I'm gonna let my heart do the walking
You can't stop a girl in love

Four Top duets
For Your Love
River Deep - lp version
You Gotta Have Love - extended version where Jean goes to town on the Expanded Edition set
Melody - this could have been a single

Weslley Francisco
07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
My favorites are:

Jean Terrell Years [[1970-1973)

Up The Ladder To The Roof
Stoned Love
But I Love You More
Everybody's Got The Right To Love [[Alternate Version)
Bad Weather
This Is The Story
Over and Over
I Keep It Hid
Bad Weather [[Live In Japan)
Touch
Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand [[THE BEST COVER EVER!)
Never Can Say Goodbye
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You/Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars [[Live In Japan)
The Wisdom of Time

Scherrie Years [[1973-1977)

Where Do I Go From Here
You're What's Missing In My Life
It's All Been Said Before
I Don't Want To Lose You/'Till The Boat Sails Away Medley
Sha-la Bandit [[Multi-Lead Vocals)
Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
Only You Can Love Me Like You Love
Bend A Little
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking [[All versions)
I Don't Want To Be Tied Down
Early Morning Love
You Turn Me Around
Color My World Blue

Woudn't be great if Susaye had recorded a Studio version of He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother? Or their version of Walk Away with Udo Jürgens? :)

waynesville
07-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Best tracks for me - with why..
1) Stoned Love. Not just the best Supremes 70s track, or even the best ever Supremes track - but one of the culminating anthems of soul. It still gives me shivers to hear that intro and then Jean Terrell's voice. As powerful, spiritual and important today as it was in 1970
2) Up the Ladder To The Roof - again a truly spiritual track. I saw an interview with Jean when she only realised this later on
3) Bill, When Are You Coming Back. Important for its time - while Motown released this as B side is totally beyond me at a time when artists were getting the confidence to sing about the war.
4) Is there a Place? If you ever wondered what angels sing like, Jean shows you on this ballad. For such a 'feminine; tune it was actually written by a guy - Clay McMurray.
5) When Can Brown Begin. From the extraordinary album with Jimmy Webb, and Jean has a real opportunity to soul out with this one and sing about something iportant - just like Mary said she wanted to
6) Automatically Sunshine. Remarkable for its cool and sophisticated feel and for that duet between Mary and Jean.

Bluebrock
07-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Best tracks for me - with why..
1) Stoned Love. Not just the best Supremes 70s track, or even the best ever Supremes track - but one of the culminating anthems of soul. It still gives me shivers to hear that intro and then Jean Terrell's voice. As powerful, spiritual and important today as it was in 1970
2) Up the Ladder To The Roof - again a truly spiritual track. I saw an interview with Jean when she only realised this later on
3) Bill, When Are You Coming Back. Important for its time - while Motown released this as B side is totally beyond me at a time when artists were getting the confidence to sing about the war.
4) Is there a Place? If you ever wondered what angels sing like, Jean shows you on this ballad. For such a 'feminine; tune it was actually written by a guy - Clay McMurray.
5) When Can Brown Begin. From the extraordinary album with Jimmy Webb, and Jean has a real opportunity to soul out with this one and sing about something iportant - just like Mary said she wanted to
6) Automatically Sunshine. Remarkable for its cool and sophisticated feel and for that duet between Mary and Jean.

Great post Waynesville. Love your descriptions of why you love these songs. I also think BILL could have been a hit single in it's own right. That first Jean led album was awesome. Possibly my all time favourite Supremes album..
Can't say that I care for the Jimmy Webb album but I think it is great that you can hear something on that album that I couldn't, but that apart I adore your choices. Best wishes.

honest man
07-28-2016, 03:21 PM
heres a few of mine.
here comes the sunrise
shine on me
time to break down
when can brown begin
love train
over and over.....

with scherrie

bend a little
sha la bandit
color my world blue
sweet dream machine
you are the heart of me
its all been said before

and of course the hits .
Really love The Supremes and will always be thankful to them ForUp the Ladder,,which started my obsession with Motown,here goes Up the ladder..
2 Then we can try
3 Igot hurt..
4Take a closer look
5Bill when are you ,,Bside
6The day between sunday
7 Stepping on my dream
8 Stoned love
9 Its time to break down
10 Thank him for today
11 Here comes the sunrise
12 Johnny raven
13Have i lost you
14 It's so hard to say
15Your wonderful sweet love
Magnificent 7
16 Knock on my door
17 For your love
18 Without the one you love
19 It's got to be a miracle
20 A taste of honey
21 Together we can make
22 I'll try not to cry
23 It's not impossible
24 The bigger you love
25 Melodie
26 It's all been said
27 the Sha la bandit
28 Don't let my teardrops
29Where is it i belong
30 Iwish i were your mirror[belongs further up list]forgot.cheers this is my fave Supremes cdr ,thank you folks.

Bluebrock
07-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Really love The Supremes and will always be thankful to them ForUp the Ladder,,which started my obsession with Motown,here goes Up the ladder..
2 Then we can try
3 Igot hurt..
4Take a closer look
5Bill when are you ,,Bside
6The day between sunday
7 Stepping on my dream
8 Stoned love
9 Its time to break down
10 Thank him for today
11 Here comes the sunrise
12 Johnny raven
13Have i lost you
14 It's so hard to say
15Your wonderful sweet love
Magnificent 7
16 Knock on my door
17 For your love
18 Without the one you love
19 It's got to be a miracle
20 A taste of honey
21 Together we can make
22 I'll try not to cry
23 It's not impossible
24 The bigger you love
25 Melodie
26 It's all been said
27 the Sha la bandit
28 Don't let my teardrops
29Where is it i belong
30 Iwish i were your mirror[belongs further up list]forgot.cheers this is my fave Supremes cdr ,thank you folks.
And what a good one it is too!

144man
07-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Two fairly obscure tracks I like are "And I thought You Loved Me" and "Oh My Poor Baby".

daviddh
07-29-2016, 11:13 AM
I did think there were some really good out takes that should have been released 144man. those are two of them.
I also like Function and the junction with the 4 tops. that could have been a single imo.

thommg
07-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Two fairly obscure tracks I like are "And I thought You Loved Me" and "Oh My Poor Baby".

I totally agree with your choice of And I Thought You Loved Me. It's hard to imagine that song didn't get a release. That is at the top of my favorite Jean led performances.

daviddh
07-29-2016, 12:18 PM
also, Cant Get You Out Of My Mind and Ill Tell Him That I love Him both are really good.
personally I would have went with Promises Kept album over the Jimmy Webb album, although there were some good tracks.perhaps an album with the best of both albums.'
between sunday and Monday
life beats
my poor baby
remote control
cant get you out of my mind
I thought you loved me
i'll tell him that I love him
when can brown begin
silent voices
I keep it hid
there were a few other out takes but I lost them when my lap top crashed but one was a cover of Martha Reeves....Loneliness is a Lonely Feeling?? a few gems from Right On .darn I wish I still had them

daviddh
07-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Just remembered the Supremes cover of the Temptations All I Need. Good track

markdtiller
08-01-2016, 04:01 PM
My Top 10 in chronological order.

River Deep - Mountain High [[w/Four Tops)
It's Time To Break Down
Now The Bitter Now The Sweet
I Keep It Hid
Soft Days
Bend A Little
Good Old Wagon [[live)
You're My Driving Wheel
Sweet Dream Machine
Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good

Favourite Jean-led album: Floy Joy
Favourite Scherrie-led album: Mary Scherrie & Susaye

Guy
08-01-2016, 04:29 PM
???? Umm, "High Energy"??!!! Is there really only one mention of this track so far?

markdtiller
08-01-2016, 04:41 PM
It would have been in my Top 11!

marv2
08-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Floy Joy
You Are the Heart of Me
Stoned Love

To name only a few..........

luke
08-01-2016, 10:59 PM
You Move Me
He's My Man
530 Plane
Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
I Keep It Hid
Silent Voices
You are the heart of me
Yore What's Missing In My Life
Sha la la Bandit
Ladder/Stoned
It's Time to Break down
Touch

detmotownguy
08-03-2016, 01:13 AM
???? Umm, "High Energy"??!!! Is there really only one mention of this track so far?

High Energy all the way!!!! The best Sups song ever recorded. Still sounds fresh today.

marv2
08-03-2016, 11:03 AM
High Energy all the way!!!! The best Sups song ever recorded. Still sounds fresh today.

That's one of the great tracks. Oh well, so much for lists! LOL

detmotownguy
08-03-2016, 11:15 PM
That's one of the great tracks. Oh well, so much for lists! LOL

Ok Marv.... Lukes list is near perfect. There's my list lol!

marv2
08-04-2016, 12:08 AM
Ok Marv.... Lukes list is near perfect. There's my list lol!

Alright DET! LOL!!!!

Ngroove
08-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Touch
You Are The Heart Of Me
Floy Joy
Everybody's Got The Right To Love
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
You're My Driving Wheel

daviddh
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
That's How Much You Made Me Love You, was the out take from Right ON. beautiful song

carole cucumber
08-06-2016, 09:49 PM
The vocals on 'That's How Much You Made Me Love You' just gives me chills- Jeans voice is so sweetly innocent on the track.

Bluebrock
08-07-2016, 03:35 AM
That's How Much You Made Me Love You, was the out take from Right ON. beautiful song
So many great out takes from those sessions. Motown appeared to want the new Supremes to succeed initially judging by the quality of the material they were given to record, but once the internal fighting began it was all but game over sadly.

mpn1jco
08-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Beyond Myself
Touch - the entire album
It's All Been Said Before
Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye - the entire album
Wait One Minute Before You Leave Me
Time To Break Down

daviddh
08-07-2016, 12:01 PM
So many great out takes from those sessions. Motown appeared to want the new Supremes to succeed initially judging by the quality of the material they were given to record, but once the internal fighting began it was all but game over sadly.
I wasn't aware the fighting had begun so early on in the 70s lineup. sad. I am imaging Jean was stubborn to the old ways and Mary was the last original so she excercised herself to have things her way.i had to laugh while watching You tube and the Supremes where on Soul Train. a dancer asked MW how it was to be the boss and she stated she wasn't the boss.i laughed like yeah right

daviddh
08-07-2016, 12:03 PM
now this is one album that should ,apparently .get an expanded edition

Bluebrock
08-07-2016, 06:08 PM
I wasn't aware the fighting had begun so early on in the 70s lineup. sad. I am imaging Jean was stubborn to the old ways and Mary was the last original so she excercised herself to have things her way.i had to laugh while watching You tube and the Supremes where on Soul Train. a dancer asked MW how it was to be the boss and she stated she wasn't the boss.i laughed like yeah right
Sadly Mary and Jean did not get along right from the start but initially personal feelings were put aside due to the success the girls had with the first few releases but as the internal stride intensified the powers that be did not give the group the priority status they had previously enjoyed. I am not going into who was at fault here but you can draw your own conclusions

Bluebrock
08-07-2016, 06:09 PM
now this is one album that should ,apparently .get an expanded edition
It is a wonderful album with around 8 outakes of which most have yet to see the light of day.

sup_fan
08-07-2016, 10:56 PM
There's quite a bit of unreleased Jean content. and there are some additional mixes of some of the Scherrie tracks. plenty to do a Lost & Found

Remote Control
Body and Soul
You only miss me when you need me
can't you hear me knocking
Traveling Light
Loneliness is a lonely feeling
Stepping on a Dream
You Gotta Pay the Price

they could probably do another Sups L&F and combine whatever 60's and 70s tracks are left

daviddh
08-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I think a 70 S Supremes Lost and Found would be great.

daviddh
08-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I am surprised that Mary n Jean did not get along, it seemed MW championed for Jean to be the new supreme . funny all those years Diana got the blame for issues in the supremes yet, Diana was long gone and the problems seemed to still exist with in the group.

daviddh
08-09-2016, 03:56 PM
I think Right On is a really good album and I think one of their best and more successful album from the 70s, but ,again, I have a hard time with this Andantees thing. on so many tracks you can tell it is not MW and CB, while other you can hear them , or some a mix of. I wish they would stuck with just MCJ, theyhad some good harmony.

sup_fan
08-09-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm surprised too that Mary and Jean were experience such conflict from the very start. And that Mary defied Gordy by insisting Jean stay. Makes me wonder [[and just speculating here) if perhaps Gordy and Mary had been discussing things prior to the Farewell show and when he made the infamous phone call saying Jean had to go.

Also I find it interesting that throughout the years, Jean has said very little about the problems other than expressing dissatisfaction with Motown. compared to Mary's revelations in her books, jean has said almost nothing against mary.

Bluebrock
08-09-2016, 05:32 PM
I am surprised that Mary n Jean did not get along, it seemed MW championed for Jean to be the new supreme . funny all those years Diana got the blame for issues in the supremes yet, Diana was long gone and the problems seemed to still exist with in the group.
Many people would try to blame Diana for the disharmony in the group long after she had departed. One Supreme is regarded as practically a saint whilst another is vilified , In truth none of the ladies were perfect, and i could add a few negative things here but what is the point? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Bluebrock
08-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised too that Mary and Jean were experience such conflict from the very start. And that Mary defied Gordy by insisting Jean stay. Makes me wonder [[and just speculating here) if perhaps Gordy and Mary had been discussing things prior to the Farewell show and when he made the infamous phone call saying Jean had to go.

Also I find it interesting that throughout the years, Jean has said very little about the problems other than expressing dissatisfaction with Motown. compared to Mary's revelations in her books, jean has said almost nothing against mary.
Jean could be a difficult lady for sure but she has remained dignified regarding her spell in the Supremes. It was an unhappy time for her but she has not dished any dirt despite having much to tell. I admire and respect her for keeping a dignified silence rather than throwing away her integrity for a fast dollar. Oh, and of course she was one mighty fine singer lest we forget.

sup_fan
08-09-2016, 05:54 PM
wonder what things would have been like had Tammi Terrell not be sick and would have actually moved into the Supremes. Of course the sound of the group would have been very different - MJC really had a great trio and a more soulful approach. I don't know if that would have been the case had Tammie joined. it might have been more a DRATS knock off

sup_fan
08-09-2016, 06:03 PM
also I just read on Wikipedia regarding Bad Weather that neither Jean or Lynda cared for the record. of course Wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt.

So Jean and the girls really liked Nathan Jones. Bluebrock can you share more Jean info? what were her thoughts on Touch? also have heard she didn't like the Floy Joy set. and then some claim Jimmy Webb was her fav and also read she didn't like it and the final results of the tracks.

not looking to get into the "dirt" on jean and the recordings. just to understand what she was wanting to do, directionally, with the group.

daviddh
08-09-2016, 06:14 PM
I read where she did recently said she didn't quit and that they finished a tour, when she came back to go on the fall tour to mexico fall 73 , Mary had Sherrie ready to go and she was out,????

marv2
08-09-2016, 06:22 PM
I read where she did recently said she didn't quit and that they finished a tour, when she came back to go on the fall tour to mexico fall 73 , Mary had Sherrie ready to go and she was out,????

That is not exactly what happened. I explained this about 4-5 different times on here.

marv2
08-09-2016, 06:31 PM

True, Jean did not "quit" but she was not returning business calls for weeks on end, so they replaced her by the time she decided to return a call................

You can read back through here too:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?295-David-Nathan-s-1974-Interview-with-Mary-Wilson-on-Changes-Within-the-Supremes&highlight=Mary+Wilson+1974

thommg
08-12-2016, 02:49 PM
I was sitting in the bar at Cafe Nonna in NYC last night when much to my surprise, Bill When Are You Coming Back started playing on the muzak. I was shocked! I asked the waitress what playlist source they used and she told me Gravy. The sets come direct from their corporate office. I applauded them on their taste and choice of song. I must say, I didn't believe Bill would have been a good single back in the day, but hearing last night I changed my mind. That might have been a fantastic followup to Up The Ladder To The Roof [[if it hadn't been the B side).

sup_fan
08-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I like Bill but I think an edited/shortened version of Loving Country should have been the follow up. Then Stone Love, then Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, then Time To Break Down. Perhaps Shine On Me could have been an A side too.

Then onto Nathan Jones.

Bluebrock
08-12-2016, 05:03 PM
I like Bill but I think an edited/shortened version of Loving Country should have been the follow up. Then Stone Love, then Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, then Time To Break Down. Perhaps Shine On Me could have been an A side too.

Then onto Nathan Jones.
I have always said that Loving Country was a missed opportunity. Motown UK considered it as the follow up to Ladder but eventually went with EGTRTL, and why Stoned Love was the only single from NWBLS is another mystery. It;s time to break down was crying out to be a single.

luke
08-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Why Motown went with EGTRTL is a mystery to me especially over TLC. And to me TWCMSSM had hit written all over as did ITTBD!

marv2
08-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Why Motown went with EGTRTL is a mystery to me especially over TLC. And to me TWCMSSM had hit written all over as did ITTBD!

"It's Time to Breakdown" was the hit after "Stoned Love". Missed opportunity on Motown's part.

detmotownguy
08-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Great production on the song.

waynesville
08-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Sadly Mary and Jean did not get along right from the start but initially personal feelings were put aside due to the success the girls had with the first few releases but as the internal stride intensified the powers that be did not give the group the priority status they had previously enjoyed. I am not going into who was at fault here but you can draw your own conclusions

is that really so though?? - Mary seems to have stopped Berry Gordy from getting rid of her, and re-reading vol 2 of her book she comes up with some very complementary pen-portraits;
'at five feet six she was taller than both Cindy and I. In her conservative outfit, medium length afro and minimal make up, Jean was anything but a kittenish glamour girl. Instead she projected strength and confidence. Although not beautiful in the classic senses he had undeniable presence. Everything about her, the way she spoke and carried herself seemed to say; 'I am proud to be a black woman'.'
and..
'Like Flo, Jean was incapable of pretending to believe in something she didn't. She felt very strongly that entertainers should address political and social issues.'

Bluebrock
08-16-2016, 03:48 AM
is that really so though?? - Mary seems to have stopped Berry Gordy from getting rid of her, and re-reading vol 2 of her book she comes up with some very complementary pen-portraits;
'at five feet six she was taller than both Cindy and I. In her conservative outfit, medium length afro and minimal make up, Jean was anything but a kittenish glamour girl. Instead she projected strength and confidence. Although not beautiful in the classic senses he had undeniable presence. Everything about her, the way she spoke and carried herself seemed to say; 'I am proud to be a black woman'.'
and..
'Like Flo, Jean was incapable of pretending to believe in something she didn't. She felt very strongly that entertainers should address political and social issues.'
You can admire someone without actually liking them. Mary told me that Jean "could control her voice like a violin". She fully admired her musical gift. I have worked with people whom i greatly admire for their talent, but on a personal level i have found many such people to be anything but my cup of tea for varying reasons. I think we can leave it at that to avoid another meltdown on this forum.

tamlaUK
08-17-2016, 07:28 AM
I would have to choose the following album tracks [[no preferential order, one from each album):

The Loving Country
Baby You've Got What It Takes [[with the Four Tops)
Thank Him For Today
I'll Try Not To Try [[with the Four Tops)
Here Comes The Sunrise
The Wisdom of Time
When Can Brown Begin
Colour My World Blue
Only You Can Love Me [[tied with You Keep Me Moving On)
Love, I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good

waynesville
08-17-2016, 07:37 AM
You can admire someone without actually liking them. Mary told me that Jean "could control her voice like a violin". She fully admired her musical gift. I have worked with people whom i greatly admire for their talent, but on a personal level i have found many such people to be anything but my cup of tea for varying reasons. I think we can leave it at that to avoid another meltdown on this forum. yeah - I guess that's a fair observation and distinction...and great respect to Mary then for saying what she did about Jean when she personally didn't like her

Bluebrock
08-17-2016, 04:57 PM
yeah - I guess that's a fair observation and distinction...and great respect to Mary then for saying what she did about Jean when she personally didn't like her
Absolutely waynesville. She didnt have to say that . She also said that Diana was "virtually unsurpassable " on stage. She didn't have to say that either

daviddh
08-18-2016, 08:53 PM
I will add that , MW has certainly grown as a singer and performer and also has great stage presence, I have seen her live many times and she is very warm and engaging. for being back ground singer, she has certainly proven herself

Bluebrock
08-19-2016, 03:41 AM
I will add that , MW has certainly grown as a singer and performer and also has great stage presence, I have seen her live many times and she is very warm and engaging. for being back ground singer, she has certainly proven herself
She is probably better now than she has ever been. I never really rated her as a vocalist. Her voice lacked character and tone, but as she grew in confidence she found her niche , and has done a commendable job since, and for that she deserves respect.

sup_fan
08-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I've wondered if the 'berry trying to kick jean out' story hasn't been embellished some over the years. As it goes in Mary's book, it seems like Berry called up out of the blue after the Farewell concert and said, get rid of her. She alludes to the idea that Berry was having a harder time getting Jean to follow his instructions to the T. I wonder if there were actually some previous discussions about the idea and it came to a culmination after the Farewell show.

Also if Mary was having some conflicts with her from the start, seems odd that she wouldn't have thought "hmmmm great singer but maybe this isn't the right decision"

Bluebrock
08-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I've wondered if the 'berry trying to kick jean out' story hasn't been embellished some over the years. As it goes in Mary's book, it seems like Berry called up out of the blue after the Farewell concert and said, get rid of her. She alludes to the idea that Berry was having a harder time getting Jean to follow his instructions to the T. I wonder if there were actually some previous discussions about the idea and it came to a culmination after the Farewell show.

Also if Mary was having some conflicts with her from the start, seems odd that she wouldn't have thought "hmmmm great singer but maybe this isn't the right decision"
It wasn't Mary's decision to make. Berry still held the purse strings and what he said went. He could be a very ruthless guy could our Berry, and despite his uncertainty over Jean it was he who ultimately allowed her to stay. Syreeta did not want to join the Supremes. She knew she was on a hiding to nothing and wisely decided she prefered being a solo singer/songwriter which allowed her more creative freedom. Don't believe everything you read sup fan. Books are designed to sell and little titbits like that do no harm whatsoever when coming to promote a tawdry kiss and tell autobiography.

sup_fan
08-19-2016, 03:56 PM
I would question Syreeta's decision to not join the Sups. I would hardly classify her as a major artist, based on public awareness and sales. Yes she collaborated with Stevie on things and had a few albums. but I would gather that the Sups 70's stuff still outsold Syreeta's. even with the decreasing Motown promotion

but I agree with you about not believing everything in a tell-all. that's why I wonder if there isn't more going on there. What I was saying was that, in Mary's book, it appears and though Berry's phone call was the first she'd ever heard of it and practically came out of the blue. seems far fetched to me. Also what I was thinking was that if supposedly Berry was having issues with Jean and Mary was having some conflicts with her, then why didn't mary see the writing on the wall. if this was all building up prior to the Farewell, maybe she should have worked with Berry and tried to find another girl

just thinking aloud

and to be honest, I think the 70s Sup's fate was sealed regardless of the singers. they would never have been allowed to surpass the 60s Sups or Diana solo. their internal strife only exacerbating things.

now here's an interesting idea - what if Diana's career had faltered?

marv2
08-19-2016, 04:22 PM
"Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" from 1972 is one of their best including their 60s output.

marv2
08-19-2016, 04:24 PM
and..

What he is saying about Jean Terrell and Mary Wilson is not true all. They got along great even after they were no longer singing partners.

daviddh
08-19-2016, 09:40 PM
lets face some things, when Motown closed Detroit, moved everything to LA, it ended a lot of talented artists career.
I don't understand why BG didn't leave both Detroit and La locations open for both. LA for tv specials and movies and Detroit for those who wanted to stay. there was talent there in the 60s so there had to be talent there in the 70s.
but ,imo, BG was consumed with making movies and turned his back on many,
if you look at the Motown history, almost every year one group or artists left Motown to go elsewhere......GK and PIPs, Spinners, Jacksons, Four Tops, Temptations etc all left
.only the Supremes stayed. even Diana struggled at Motown and seemed not happy with albums such as Everything Is Everything and Last Time I saw Him.
the Supremes struggled like everyone else. there was no plan to kill the group.but I am sure with problems that did occur such as group members coming and going, perhaps Motown was unsure of keeping things going. but as along as MW was willing to keep it going...

daviddh
08-19-2016, 09:42 PM
didn't MW write in her book that she and Jean were having trouble. ? seems to me that MW handed her a note and said we need to talk and Jean threw it on the floor. but ....Jean was at the recent Hall Of Fame exhibit

marv2
08-20-2016, 02:46 AM
didn't MW write in her book that she and Jean were having trouble. ? seems to me that MW handed her a note and said we need to talk and Jean threw it on the floor. but ....Jean was at the recent Hall Of Fame exhibit

That was also one or two situations 43 years ago. They have been friends for over 46 years. That guy does not know what he is talking about.

Bluebrock
08-20-2016, 04:40 AM
That was also one or two situations 43 years ago. They have been friends for over 46 years. That guy does not know what he is talking about.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

Bluebrock
08-20-2016, 04:52 AM
David - you are entitled to believe whoever you like on this situation. I do not have the slightest desire to enter into conversation with that certain individual on this forum. No-one is perfect. Everyone has their faults including shock, horror - Mary Wilson, though you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise when reading some posts on here. I try to give an unbiased account of certain events, but some people are only willing to hear one side of a story. I have been critical of Diana on certain occasions despite prefering to focus on the positives, but to give a balanced account one has to accept that our heroes are not always 100% perfect. I have better things to do in my wonderful life than engage in petty squabbles with people with whom i have no respect whatsoever. I am not going to dig deeper with the dirt, but believe me i could if i so desired, but in the words of a wonderful lady - it's time to move on.

sup_fan
08-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Bluebrock - your insight and stories have been much appreciated. yes we know there are some on here that are very devoted to one girl or another. so be it. i personally love all of the girls and all of the lineups. i appreciate their faults and celebrate their successes. Please don't abandon the forum like some others. it's been great reading your posts

So onto another 70s Sups topic

New Ways But Love Stays

mary said this lp was to be named Stoned Love after the single but when the single was released and all of the controversy erupted, motown chickened out and revised the title and cover art. how could this be? the album and single were both released in Oct 70. if they did change the design, it would have taken considerable time to redo the covers. this was a VERY expensive lp to produce given the gatefold cover and the die cuts on the flap revealing the inner pics. This was no throw-away lp [[like Dynamite). and so i venture that it was never to be named Stoned Love and that's a legend that has come out over the years

reese
08-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Bluebrock - your insight and stories have been much appreciated. yes we know there are some on here that are very devoted to one girl or another. so be it. i personally love all of the girls and all of the lineups. i appreciate their faults and celebrate their successes. Please don't abandon the forum like some others. it's been great reading your posts

New Ways But Love Stays

mary said this lp was to be named Stoned Love after the single but when the single was released and all of the controversy erupted, motown chickened out and revised the title and cover art. how could this be? the album and single were both released in Oct 70. if they did change the design, it would have taken considerable time to redo the covers. this was a VERY expensive lp to produce given the gatefold cover and the die cuts on the flap revealing the inner pics. This was no throw-away lp [[like Dynamite). and so i venture that it was never to be named Stoned Love and that's a legend that has come out over the years

When people write books or give interviews, I'm sure they look at some past events from their current vantage point. I don't recall Mary [[in her book) going into detail about album covers being redone and such. Perhaps she said that in a different interview. Or maybe when the group recorded STONED LOVE, it might have stuck out to Mary and the girls as a track with hit potential and as such, they thought it would have made a nice title for the album.

But the release dates don't tie into any controversy as the reason for Motown not doing so.
I think the group released too much product in a short period. THE MAGNIFICENT 7 album was released in September, then the STONED LOVE single and the NEW WAYS... album were both released in October, followed by the RIVER DEEP single in November. The singles did well, but the albums' sales suffered. Perhaps both albums might have done better if a second single was released from each, but they weren't.

Re the title, NEW WAYS BUT LOVE STAYS. I think it is fine. To me, it meant "Yes, the group has some new members. But we're still the Supremes." It is certainly a more descriptive title than RIGHT ON.

Bluebrock
08-20-2016, 12:41 PM

New Ways But Love Stays

When i said it is time to move on i didn't mean that i was leaving the forum. I just want to avoid the petty squabbling that has threatened to destroy this forum in the past, but i shall stand my ground for sure, but i would prefer to have this forum as a happy site to visit rather than one where you know there will be tantrums and tiaras just because someone has the audacity to not 100% agree with another members opinions. We must not allow this forum to be destroyed by any negative presence. I just want to share my opinions and memories with fellow Motown lovers.
To quote the great Lamont Dozier "i ain't going nowhere". Thank you for support past and present. It is a pleasure and an honour to converse with you.

sup_fan
08-20-2016, 04:28 PM
In Supreme Faith Mary talks about New Ways and how it didn't sell well. especially given the powerful single that was released. She also complained about the cover art and random photos used. Completely agree that history sometimes clouds the specifics. But Mary seems rather specific in her book about this. The many, many albums use a lead or hit single as the title. not always of course. The girls had recently done Cream of the Crop and then Right On. New Ways was a catchy title but i think the lp should have been named Stoned Love

Bluebrock
08-20-2016, 05:42 PM
In Supreme Faith Mary talks about New Ways and how it didn't sell well. especially given the powerful single that was released. She also complained about the cover art and random photos used. Completely agree that history sometimes clouds the specifics. But Mary seems rather specific in her book about this. The many, many albums use a lead or hit single as the title. not always of course. The girls had recently done Cream of the Crop and then Right On. New Ways was a catchy title but i think the lp should have been named Stoned Love
It was a lavishly presented album that had a couple more potential hits on it. I love the title of the album but maybe it should have been called Stoned Love. Who knows.

daviddh
08-21-2016, 09:39 AM
I liked the title and the album, except the track Come Together ,which I would have left off and replaced. perhaps a different lp cover . I do think that to much product being released and one time and no follow up single hurt the album.

Blue Brock, you are correct. this has been a joyous thread and I enjoy you being here. I am grateful for your insight.

Bluebrock
08-21-2016, 10:26 AM
I liked the title and the album, except the track Come Together ,which I would have left off and replaced. perhaps a different lp cover . I do think that to much product being released and one time and no follow up single hurt the album.

Blue Brock, you are correct. this has been a joyous thread and I enjoy you being here. I am grateful for your insight.
Thank you David. I greatly appreciate your kind words.