PDA

View Full Version : Bry-Wek Productions [[John Davis) -- Philly

test

jsmith
07-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Anyone here know much about the Philly based Bry-Wek set-up. The organisation's main act was the Philly Devotions and 2 x 45s by the group actually escaped on the Bry-Wek label [["Didn't Anyone Ever Tell You" + "I'll Never Colour You a Rainbow"). They undertook their sessions at Sigma Sound.
Then in 74, Leon Lee was signed to the set-up & John Davis cut him on "He Was A Man". This 2 part track was also cut at Sigma Sound but the subsequent 45 escaped on Ray Charles' Crossover Records. This track has a Norman Whitfield / psychedelic soul feel to it [[ala a early 70's Temptations track). It did very little at the time but the Crossover label was changing distributors back then & this probably killed the 45's chances.
The Philly Devotions made a return at about the same time with their new cuts initially coming out on Don De before being leased to Columbia Records late in 74 [[who also released the 45 in Canada, the UK, Japan, Germany & Spain).
This international release [["I Just Can't Say Goodbye") being remixed by Tom Moulton for release.
The Philly Devotions had 4 more releases on Columbia, many escaping outside the US as well. John Davis was involved to start with but by 1976 [[after he had cut them on the old song "Hurt So Bad"), he dropped by the wayside and a new team took on their studio sessions [[Bert DeCoteaux, etc.). However "Hurt So Bad" proved to be their last hit and their last release came shortly afterwards.
It's said that the 1st ever US 12" single release was a Columbia Philly Devotions track, is this true ??

Who owned / ran Bry-Wek ??
Who was Leon Lee and did he cut anything else ??
What happened to the Philly Devotions after 1976 ?

John Davis worked with many good acts; Intruders, William DeVaughn, Touch of Class, Arthur Prysock [[who he also cut on "Hurt So Bad", Phyllis Hyman, Brenda & Tabulations, Impact, Doris Troy, Carol Douglas, Ruth Waters, Collins & Collins + he had his own Monster Orchestra.
Arthut Prysock's "All I Need Is You Tonight" [[76) saw some action on the UK MS scene.
After 76, many of John Davis's cuts were very disco influenced and this is probably why he stopped working with the Philly Devotions.
BUT anyone know more on these matters ??

jsmith
07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Forgot to say, John Davis produced Collins & Collins "Top of the Stairs" [[A&M -- cover of an Ashford & Simpson song).
This was a massive MS anthem here in the UK right thru the 1990's & beyond.
The US 45 goes for mucho $$$$ even today and is very hard to find [[most copies staying in their owner's collections).
This track was also cut at Sigma Sound.

MIKEW-UK
07-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Matt Covington was the lead singer of The Philly Devotions. When the group disbanded, he went solo and two albums were issued.... You can get an album for $8.99 on Amazon / iTunes or vinyl for approx $4000 plus! He also opened Mr Matt's Pie shop in Pennsylvania in the mid 2000s. Soul food, pies and his special ice water!

MIKEW-UK
07-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Matt Covington vinyl album

Soul singer Matt Covington is perhaps best known for his early 80's release "We Got One" which became a hit during the early 90s in the UK. He also released a handful of 12" singles on April Records during the early to mid 80s which included the hit "I'm So In Love With You." Matt's successes as a vocalist began much earlier however. As lead singer for the popular Philly Soul group the Philly Devotions, Matt became one of the most popular singers of the Philly scene in the mid-1970's. Shortly after leaving the group, Matt hooked up with Devotions writer/producer Zip Johnson's Zip Records label to record his first bona-fide self-titled solo album. The album was written entirely by Covington and Johnson and featured great Philly soul musicians including Chappy Washington [[piano); Dell Floyd [[drums); William Cousins [[guitar); Charles Peyea [[bass); Ronnie Henderson [[guitar); John Blake [[strings) and Odean Pope [[horns and production). Now finally available in the digital domain, all selections have been newly remastered.

jsmith
07-23-2016, 04:03 AM
Thanks for that info.
I've got his UK Expansion single "We Got One".
Still after info on Bry-Wek though.

manny
07-23-2016, 03:15 PM
I know a certain "Leon Lee" was a member of People's Choice at their Jammie / Guyden years [[the back cover sleeve in my copy of "The Wootie-T-Woo" 7" says the complete line-up).

I nver have had clair what was the position of John Davis on the PIR / Sigma Sound organization, apart from his solo projects [[John Davi's Monster Orchestra and as a free-lance producer for William DeVaughn, Arthur Prysock,..). He appears as producer in some PIR / TSOP realises as the 45 "Another World" by Elliot Hoffman...

Philly Devotions is another Philly soul vocal group who deserves have been much more popular as another vocal group from Philly, Kaleidoscope. They aren't simply a "clon" of The Stylistics, their lead vocalist, as in the case of Blue Magic, have a great personality. Sadly I only have the Philly Devotions tracks that appears in the different volumes of "The Spirit Of Philadelphia".

Cheers to all.

jsmith
07-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Just checked out the Peoples Choice info & their line-up did change a lot.
However, I have it as this in the early 70's ..... People's Choice: Frankie Brunson [[vocals, piano, organ); Roger Andrews [[bass); Dave Thompson [[drums); Stanley Burton, Leon Lee [[lead vocals & congas).
So it seems that Leon Lee must just have quit the group when he had his solo Crossover 45 out.
Wonder what became of him after 74 ??