PDA

View Full Version : Gene Evans 45 on Geneva

test

jsmith
07-16-2016, 08:41 AM
I know that Ernest Kelly had a lot to do with the Geneva label, both when it was based in New York in 1967/68 and when it was Detroit based in the 70's. Ernest had relocated to Detroit when he landed an A&R post with Motown.

Back in NY, a guy called Gene Evans enjoyed some 45 releases. He had 2 x secular 45's out on NY & the Carolinas related gospel label Golden Beam. He also had a 45 out on Soulworld, which was run by guys who also did things for Golden Beam [[David Osbia, etc).
However, I have no idea how Gene Evans Soulworld 45 cuts ended up also being released on Geneva.
Anyone here know when his Soulworld & Geneva 45s were released or how Gene Evans ended up with a 45 out on Geneva ??
Could this even be a separate Geneva Record label ??
I ask coz GENE [[E)VAns had a 45 out on GENEVA; it seems too much of a coincidence to me for him not to have an actual connection to this label.

jsmith
07-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Stanpico Music was also listed on the Soulworld 45.
This music company seemed to have links with Lee Williams [[of the Cymbals) ... does this help at all ?

robb_k
07-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Stanpico Music was also listed on the Soulworld 45.
This music company seemed to have links with Lee Williams [[of the Cymbals) ... does this help at all ?
I'd bet the farm that THIS Geneva Records had nothing to do with Ernest Kelly's Geneva Records, which, if I remember correctly, was already based in Detroit by 1967, as Kelly had returned to Detroit in that year.

jsmith
07-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm told that it was a completely separate Geneva Records set-up, most probably owned by GENeEVAns.

robb_k
07-22-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm told that it was a completely separate Geneva Records set-up, most probably owned by GENeEVAns.
That makes the most sense.