PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson: It's Gonna Get Worse Between Cops and African Americans

test

marv2
07-11-2016, 03:17 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/11/mary-wilson-police-brutality-african-americans-violence/

Mary Wilson -- one of the original Supremes -- had an interesting take on police brutality in the African American community -- there was less of it when "we as black people knew our place."

Mary was by no means singing the virtues of the pre-Martin Luther King days, but she put in context the fact that there was less violence simply because the African American community wasn't standing up for its right to equality and full citizenship.

Mary, who was leaving Pump in WeHo, thinks things are gonna get worse before they get better.

marv2
07-11-2016, 03:21 PM
From the New York Daily News;

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/mary-wilson-talks-violence-cops-african-americans-article-1.2707171

marv2
07-11-2016, 03:34 PM
From "I Love Old School Music":

http://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/ex-supreme-singer-mary-wilson-police-violence-blacks-knew-place/

RossHolloway
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
I think there was just as much violence, there just were no cell phones to capture it. But I also think she's right.

marv2
07-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I think there was just as much violence, there just were no cell phones to capture it. But I also think she's right.

She is right and so are you Rossholloway. There was plenty of violence in those days. There just was no cell phone videos or social media to alert everyone almost instantaneously.

marv2
07-11-2016, 10:26 PM
From NY Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LqmP9-7zE

marv2
07-11-2016, 10:53 PM
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/supremes-mary-wilson-police-violence-wont-change-overnight-20160711

marv2
07-13-2016, 11:03 PM
From RTT News:

http://www.rttnews.com/2668256/supremes-mary-wilson-speaks-on-police-violence.aspx

sansradio
07-13-2016, 11:47 PM
I can't hold my feelings back about this quote any longer. As much as I have always admired and appreciated Miss Wilson and her contributions to American popular musical history, her statement about African-Americans "[knowing] our place" is incredibly troubling. I get where she's coming from, and I'm glad that at least she spoke of civil rights pioneers standing up for what is right eventually as her response progressed, but "[knowing] our place" is sticking in my craw something awful. The Civil Rights Movement did not spring fully formed from the head of Zeus with no historical precedent. Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, Martin Delany, David Walker, Ida Wells Barnett, Marcus Garvey, W.E.B. duBois and countless millions of earlier African-Americans, sung and unsung, would surely take issue with the notion that they accepted some foreordained "place" in society; without these ancestors, the Civil Rights Movement would not have occurred. I understand that Wilson was speaking off the cuff to TMZ; however, I can't help but be perturbed by the lack of a more nuanced response, especially in such a turbulent moment. Pardon the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Peace and blessings to all.

marv2
07-14-2016, 01:12 AM
I can't hold my feelings back about this quote any longer. As much as I have always admired and appreciated Miss Wilson and her contributions to American popular musical history, her statement about African-Americans "[knowing] our place" is incredibly troubling. I get where she's coming from, and I'm glad that at least she spoke of civil rights pioneers standing up for what is right eventually as her response progressed, but "[knowing] our place" is sticking in my craw something awful. The Civil Rights Movement did not spring fully formed from the head of Zeus with no historical precedent. Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, Martin Delany, David Walker, Ida Wells Barnett, Marcus Garvey, W.E.B. duBois and countless millions of earlier African-Americans, sung and unsung, would surely take issue with the notion that they accepted some foreordained "place" in society; without these ancestors, the Civil Rights Movement would not have occurred. I understand that Wilson was speaking off the cuff to TMZ; however, I can't help but be perturbed by the lack of a more nuanced response, especially in such a turbulent moment. Pardon the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Peace and blessings to all.

When she first said that, I knew there would be someone who took it the wrong way and you are the first one to my knowledge to do so! Did you check out her face when she said it? It was said sarcastically, yet truthfully. In the fifties, blacks or African Americans were not nearly as embolden as they are today when it comes to speaking out about their rights. When they did, it was peacefully for the most part. Today, it can become violent in 0-60 secs.

When everyone saw visually what happened to Emmitt Till in 1955, they did not go out and riot or kill other people in retaliation. What they did was organize the Montgomery, AL Bus Boycott for starters. As little credit as they are given, Mary Wilson/Supremes and Motown were part of a larger movement in those days. Mary's brother Roosevelt was even a Black Panther. So you know she knows what she is talking about!

If you ever get the chance to check out her "Dare to Dream" lecture in person or online, you know she knows the deal.

marv2
07-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Here's the video TMZ did not widely circulate that they did on Mary:

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_a6lh9s30/

sansradio
07-14-2016, 07:35 AM
When she first said that, I knew there would be someone who took it the wrong way and you are the first one to my knowledge to do so! Did you check out her face when she said it? It was said sarcastically, yet truthfully. In the fifties, blacks or African Americans were not nearly as embolden as they are today when it comes to speaking out about their rights. When they did, it was peacefully for the most part. Today, it came get violent in 0-60 secs.

When everyone saw visually what happened to Emmitt Till in 1955, they did not go out and riot or kill other people in retaliation. What they did was organize the Montgomery, AL Bus Boycott for starters. As little credit as they are giving, Mary Wilson/Supremes and Motown were part of a larger movement in those days. Mary's brother Roosevelt was even a Black Panther. So you knows what she is talking about!

If you ever get the chance to check out her "Dare to Dream" lecture in person or online, you know she knows the deal.

I am familiar with her "Dare to Dream" lectures and I really appreciate them, which is why at first I was taken aback. Now, on repeated viewings of this footage, I do hear the sardonic laugh. I may have jumped the gun in responding so heatedly. Still, I do wish she had used air quotes or possibly made her point differently; as we know, our words, out of context, can be twisted by enemies like Fox News to suit their own agendas.

The Supremes and Motown as a whole were indeed barrier breakers in that era; you are correct that they don't receive enough credit for being the titans that they are on the image front. Peace and thanks for this lively debate!

BigAl
07-14-2016, 07:37 AM
I, too, knew that there would be those who would take exception to the "knowing our place" comment. As much as I dislike the widespread use of finger "air quotes," [[understatement of the week!) she probably should have used that gesture if she was going to make that statement. I can't imagine anyone's seriously thinking that she meant it any way but sarcastically. Sheesh...

marv2
07-14-2016, 10:18 AM
I am familiar with her "Dare to Dream" lectures and I really appreciate them, which is why at first I was taken aback. Now, on repeated viewings of this footage, I do hear the sardonic laugh. I may have jumped the gun in responding so heatedly. Still, I do wish she had used air quotes or possibly made her point differently; as we know, our words, of out of context, can be twisted by enemies like Fox News to suit their own agendas.

The Supremes and Motown as a whole were indeed barrier breakers in that era; you are correct that they don't receive enough credit for being the titans that they are on the image front. Peace and thanks for this lively debate!

Thank you Sansradio and peace to you as well!

Marv

sansradio
07-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Thank you Sansradio and peace to you as well!

Marv

On a lighter note, check out young Harvey and JMC in the second link!😃

marv2
07-14-2016, 10:52 AM
On a lighter note, check out young Harvey and JMC in the second link!��

He looks like a little groupie. How old is that guy anyway?

sansradio
07-14-2016, 11:41 AM
He looks like a little groupie. How old is that guy anyway?

HA! According to Wikipedia, he'll be 66 in September. He looks great; I would've guessed at least 10 years younger!

marv2
07-14-2016, 12:21 PM
HA! According to Wikipedia, he'll be 66 in September. He looks great; I would've guessed at least 10 years younger!

I remember him from the Peoples Court LOL!

TheMotownManiac
07-15-2016, 03:32 PM
I didn't take offense to it at all - I can't see why anyone would. Anyone who knows Mary personally and/or socially even, knows she was slightly inebriated [[as she likes to be on nights out partying) and, when "On The Dom" as she's referred to it, truly speaks from the heart. She meant and knew exactly what she said and anyone with people her age or older - especially from the south, knows this to be true. Blacks, culturally, "knew" not to cause trouble or act up because they had little to no protection from much of local law enforcement. Diana's brother had the audacity to ask for his change in a mom and pop store in Alabama and was beaten and arrested for it. He didn't know better being raised in Detroit. Mary is a lot wiser than folks give her credit for. She knew exactly what she said, meant it and it was gospel.

detmotownguy
07-15-2016, 06:15 PM
I didn't take offense to it at all - I can't see why anyone would. Anyone who knows Mary personally and/or socially even, knows she was slightly inebriated [[as she likes to be on nights out partying) and, when "On The Dom" as she's referred to it, truly speaks from the heart. She meant and knew exactly what she said and anyone with people her age or older - especially from the south, knows this to be true. Blacks, culturally, "knew" not to cause trouble or act up because they had little to no protection from much of local law enforcement. Diana's brother had the audacity to ask for his change in a mom and pop store in Alabama and was beaten and arrested for it. He didn't know better being raised in Detroit. Mary is a lot wiser than folks give her credit for. She knew exactly what she said, meant it and it was gospel.

Damn, beaten for change. Never heard that one. Was that on one of the earlty bus tours?

sansradio
07-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Damn, beaten for change. Never heard that one. Was that on one of the earlty bus tours?

I believe it was a Ross family trip to Mrs. Ernestine's hometown of Bessemer. Diana had to exert considerable legal firepower to get him exonerated.

marv2
07-15-2016, 08:25 PM
A fuller view of Mary Wilson's comments . From the Los Angeles Daily News:

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160715/steve-smith-queen-has-biggest-uk-seller-supremes-mary-wilson-on-race-relations-mccartney-says-wings-were-terrible

sansradio
07-15-2016, 10:23 PM
A fuller view of Mary Wilson's comments . From the Los Angeles Daily News:

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160715/steve-smith-queen-has-biggest-uk-seller-supremes-mary-wilson-on-race-relations-mccartney-says-wings-were-terrible
Thanks, Marv. I see that the sorely needed quotation marks are present.

marv2
07-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Marv. I see that the sorely needed quotation marks are present.

You're welcome.