PDA

View Full Version : Stay In My Lonely Arms [[H-D-H)

test

woodward
06-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Just wondering what other SDF members think of the three versions of Stay In My Lonely Arms.

It was included in the Four Tops Second Album; in the Elgins Darling Baby Album and also on a VIP 45; and twice by the Supremes. Initially it was included in the Never Before Masters from Motown's Brightest Stars - The 1960's and later in the Rare Gems from the Motown Vaults promotional CD produced by Tower Records.

My favorite is the Supremes. I consider this one of their VERY BEST songs and I strongly feel that had it been released at the prime of their success it would have hit #1. My second favorite is the Elgins. The Four Tops version is OK, but not great.

What are your thoughts on this song?

RossHolloway
06-16-2016, 12:18 PM
To be honest, it has never been one of my favorite HDH compositions. I always thought that it was kind of a dreary song. Not a song to sing along to or dance to.

theboyfromxtown
06-16-2016, 01:19 PM
I liked them all but I have to admit that my favourite is the Supremes version.

soulwally
06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Just wondering what other SDF members think of the three versions of Stay In My Lonely Arms.

It was included in the Four Tops Second Album; in the Elgins Darling Baby Album and also on a VIP 45; and twice by the Supremes. Initially it was included in the Never Before Masters from Motown's Brightest Stars - The 1960's and later in the Rare Gems from the Motown Vaults promotional CD produced by Tower Records.

My favorite is the Supremes. I consider this one of their VERY BEST songs and I strongly feel that had it been released at the prime of their success it would have hit #1. My second favorite is the Elgins. The Four Tops version is OK, but not great.

The Elgins' version was [[is) very popular on GB dance floors, a real 'youth club' hit back in the day

Bluebrock
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

I love this song also, and i have to agree with you that the Supremes version is the one that does it for me. A lovely emotional performance from Diana and i am mystified as to why this version remained in the vaults for so long. I also enjoyed the Elgins version and to a slightly lesser extent the Four Tops version. i would not be surprised if there are other artists versions in the vaults.

bradsupremes
06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
The Supremes' version came out three times. In addition to the two releases previously mentioned, it was also released on the first CD issue of the 'Reflections' album. That mix was different as it was edited, in mono and the fade had just Mary and Cindy's vocal track. The one that came out on Tower Sampler was "stereo" and unedited although it sounds like a mono mix processed to sound stereo. I'm not sure about the one from the 'Never Before Released Masters' collection. Don't know if the mix on that was different from the other two.

thommg
06-16-2016, 05:11 PM
The Supremes' version came out three times. In addition to the two releases previously mentioned, it was also released on the first CD issue of the 'Reflections' album. That mix was different as it was edited, in mono and the fade had just Mary and Cindy's vocal track. The one that came out on Tower Sampler was "stereo" and unedited although it sounds like a mono mix processed to sound stereo. I'm not sure about the one from the 'Never Before Released Masters' collection. Don't know if the mix on that was different from the other two.

bradsupremes, I know the song was included on the Reflections cd because it was a b-side to one of the singles. Do you know if the mix on the cd was the mix as released on the 45?

reese
06-16-2016, 06:08 PM
My favorite is the Supremes' version, although I don't think it would have been a hit. It sort of goes on and on with no variation, no bridge, until the modulation towards the end. I do love the edited version on the REFLECTIONS cd.

Although the Elgins' version isn't my favorite, I like it a lot and think it had more of the makings of a hit, maybe because of the beat. But when I think of it, theirs is rather repetitive as well, with no build, and it doesn't even have a modulation.

honest man
06-17-2016, 05:24 AM
The Elgins' version was [[is) very popular on GB dance floors, a real 'youth club' hit back in the dayTotally Agree with you to me the Elgin version will always be the ultimate version for that reason,The other 2 versions came into my life decades later and as much as i hate to admit DRATS Is not that great, really don't like DRATS version of Heaven Must have sent you much i reckon Elgins beat them on both songs in my opinion ,cheers.

westgrandboulevard
06-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Much as I admire Diana Ross as a stage performer, some of her versions of songs previously recorded by others are, to my ears, way over-mannered.

I'm all for clear diction, and Diana excels at that...but the way Diana uses her tongue to over-emphasise some of the syllables, turns 'sweet soul music' into 'artificial sweetener soul music'.

The Four Tops version is great, but the song works best with a female voice...and The Elgins version is the one for me.

Saundra Edwards' voice has a raw, keening, yearning quality to it, which is very affecting, and comes direct from the heart. The way it should be.. so Saundra's the one for me.....:)

mysterysinger
06-17-2016, 08:51 AM
May be a British thing but The Elgins have it for me on both "Stay In My Lonely Arms" and "Heaven Must Have Sent You" though The Supremes versions are also very good indeed.

In relation to "Stay" I think I heard the various versions in the order of Elgins / Bob Andy / Four Tops / Supremes. Courtesy of singles in the first two cases [[Bob Andy's being in a bargain bin in a Tesco store back then). Rough and Reggae indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4o2mccaY4

jobucats
06-17-2016, 09:40 AM
My favorite version will have to be the Four Tops version with Lawrence doing a mighty fine pleading vocal.
Excuse me if my link does not work correctly. I am not sure how one does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3KebYTJTM

westgrandboulevard
06-17-2016, 09:52 AM
It works perfectly! :D

144man
06-17-2016, 12:25 PM
May be a British thing but The Elgins have it for me on both "Stay In My Lonely Arms" and "Heaven Must Have Sent You" though The Supremes versions are also very good indeed...

That's exactly how I feel.

Motown Eddie
06-17-2016, 12:50 PM
The version by the Four Tops on their second album is my favorite version of 'Stay In My Lonely Arms'.