PDA

View Full Version : The Avenue

test

mysterysinger
06-12-2016, 08:21 PM
A recent thread on Jimmy Ruffin put me in mind of a song that he recorded.

In the UK there was quite a big hit by a "group" called The Maisonettes called "Heartache Avenue" which made number 7 in the charts.

I don't know whether it was big in the USA but years later I came to realise [[assume) that it must have been based on the Jimmy Ruffin song "On The Avenue" since to my way of thinking it sounds very similar. I also wondered how they could have modelled it on that song since it hadn't been released in the UK back then in 1983. Was it just a very strange co-incidence - I doubt it.

Here is The Maisonettes song [[which I really like by the way, despite being manufactured and out of place date-wise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-t66drtfWs

mysterysinger
06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Jimmy Ruffin's "On The Avenue"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petLY1iDVac

theboyfromxtown
06-13-2016, 03:47 AM
Although it wasn't released, it was being circulated. IN the 80's, there were a multitude of Motown tracks being circulated amongst collectors - but they were mostly speeded up for the Northern market. The aim of the Cellarful of Motown series was to make available all those "speeded up" tracks in their original form.

As you are aware, the song is also called "In The Neighbourhood", but it was that original "On the Avenue" version that was first available on those speeded up tapes.

Bluebrock
06-13-2016, 08:47 AM
A recent thread on Jimmy Ruffin put me in mind of a song that he recorded.

In the UK there was quite a big hit by a "group" called The Maisonettes called "Heartache Avenue" which made number 7 in the charts.

I don't know whether it was big in the USA but years later I came to realise [[assume) that it must have been based on the Jimmy Ruffin song "On The Avenue" since to my way of thinking it sounds very similar. I also wondered how they could have modelled it on that song since it hadn't been released in the UK back then in 1983. Was it just a very strange co-incidence - I doubt it.

Here is The Maisonettes song [[which I really like by the way, despite being manufactured and out of place date-wise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-t66drtfWs
I briefly worked with these guys and I recall them being massive soul music fans. Not sure why they didn't move forward after this. I think they released an album and a couple more singles but further success proved elusive.

mysterysinger
06-13-2016, 03:57 PM
The Maisonettes did a great job on this song - and those young ladies looked rather nice too. No Idea why they didn't achieve much more success though I can't help thinking that would be a hard one to follow. Glad you got to work with them Bluebrock.

Bluebrock
06-14-2016, 08:25 AM
The Maisonettes did a great job on this song - and those young ladies looked rather nice too. No Idea why they didn't achieve much more success though I can't help thinking that would be a hard one to follow. Glad you got to work with them Bluebrock.
I guess so mysterysinger. They were nice people but sadly they were not at the top of my priority list at the time through no fault of their own or indeed mine. At a less hectic time i'm sure we could have done more with them.