PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson “Now, after 60 years, I find myself having to work,”

test

milven
06-04-2016, 06:46 PM
This was in the Enquirer, so consider that while reading, but she has said similar things in recent interviews about having to still work.

Mary is also still hoping that she and Diana can repair their relationship and have a reunion.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/diana-ross-supremes-reunion-mary-wilson/

BayouMotownMan
06-04-2016, 09:13 PM
I don't see how a reunion is possible. Cindy can not perform and if you get one of the ladies from the 70s you're gonna get the "fake" label again. Also, if they perform as a duet it still won't be the same.

Jimi LaLumia
06-04-2016, 09:59 PM
and then there's this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOGdhMf2hK8

rod_rick
06-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I don't see how a reunion is possible. Cindy can not perform and if you get one of the ladies from the 70s you're gonna get the "fake" label again. Also, if they perform as a duet it still won't be the same.

I think knowing that Cindy is too ill to sing would make a difference with a 70's lady as a stand in. My wish would be for Diana and Mary to re-record My World Is Empty, Someday We'll Be Together and few other Supreme songs as a duet trading off leads with one another.

Jimi LaLumia
06-04-2016, 10:15 PM
and there's that "Dreamgirl' book....... it's never gonna happen..sad to say..

Jimi LaLumia
06-04-2016, 10:17 PM
people are talking about it like it's a possibility because Mary is throwing it out there.. Ross is not in the conversation and I doubt she ever would be

Jimi LaLumia
06-04-2016, 10:19 PM
the Enquirer also has Liza dying in three months...set your egg timers!..http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/liza-minnelli-dying-health-addiction-concerns/photo/154441/

BayouMotownMan
06-05-2016, 02:11 PM
the Enquirer also has Liza dying in three months...set your egg timers!..http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/liza-minnelli-dying-health-addiction-concerns/photo/154441/

As someone said earlier Mary has said she is having financial problems and it's true. It makes me sad for her that she has to address this in the open media hoping Ross will feel sorry for her enough to agree

Bluebrock
06-05-2016, 02:49 PM
As someone said earlier Mary has said she is having financial problems and it's true. It makes me sad for her that she has to address this in the open media hoping Ross will feel sorry for her enough to agree
Somehow don't think our friend Marv is going to believe this! He says Mary is a very wealthy woman.I don't think she is broke but she certainly appears to live beyond her means. I also wish she had addressed this situation in a more dignified and private matter. This does Mary no favours whatsoever.
Prepare for the fall out!!

milven
06-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Somehow don't think our friend Marv is going to believe this! He says Mary is a very wealthy woman.I don't think she is broke but she certainly appears to live beyond her means. I also wish she had addressed this situation in a more dignified and private matter. This does Mary no favours whatsoever.
Prepare for the fall out!!

This was also discussed in another thread

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?16795-Mary-Wilson-On-Why-Protecting-America-s-Musical-Legends-Must-Be-A-Priority&p=336287#post336287

and Marv declined to discuss simply saying that he knows what he knows

I know what I know and I am not going there any further.

I don't think that she is broke either. But when her house was on the market a few years ago, I recall that it still had a substantial mortgage. Someone in their seventies should have had their home paid off long ago

BigAl
06-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately, it seems that Mary has never made very sound business and financial decisions and it's caught up with her. [[I know many people in various professions and careers who have ended up in the same situation.) I suspect she has been ill-advised over the years by people who haven't had her best interests at heart. It's too bad that, at her age, she can't at least partially retire and perform only when she feels like it. It's asking a lot of someone 72 years old to have to tour as extensively as she has to. [[I read a short story a while back in which a drag queen who called herself "Dyanna Ross" cattily described Mary by saying, "Mary WILSON? Honey, that girl will appear at the opening of a DRAIN!") Sadly, it's probably partly true. I'm seven years younger than she is and I couldn't even imagine having to put myself out there night after night after night. More power to her.

BayouMotownMan
06-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Mary Wilson is not now nor has she ever been a millionaire. She has never professed to such. What she has said is that she made $1 million a year, and this was after the RTL debacle. This is likely an optimistic estimate, but even if true Mary has a hefty payroll as she is dependent on musicians, backing vocalists, managers, etc. Throw is taxes and an income retained from $1 million is not all that impressive.

There are actually only a handful of millionaires that came out of the Motown stable. Diana Ross is one of them, but even with her, her money was made after leaving the company.

I worry for Mary, Martha Reeves and all of our classic Motown artists. Being in their 70s is limiting their bookings and traveling overseas in todays climate is both risky and expensive. As much as we all hate imitation acts, they come cheaper and pull about the same audience.

blackguy69
06-05-2016, 05:47 PM
When I. See threads like this, I take it with a grain of salt. I don't think she's a millionaire. But on the same token, I don't think she's a paycheck away from the welfare line. Unless someone here is her accountant, or has actually seen what she has in her bank account, none of us really know.

captainjames
06-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Despite all the hurt feelings, the music of The Supremes can not be touched. I agree with Diana when she says it is all the music.

sup_fan
06-05-2016, 06:47 PM
while i don't know her personal finances, i'm going to make the assumption that Motown didn't have a 401k. and since they earned royalties, not salaries, there probably wouldn't be an Social Security deductions. so unless they had some savvy financial advisors back at Motown in the 60s that knew to take advantage of their top earnings for retirement, there's probably little in the terms of traditional retirement savings.

also it's been reported in quite a few sources that Mary hasn't always made the wisest of business decisions. she also spent a FORTUNE in lawsuits against motown.

BayouMotownMan
06-05-2016, 07:04 PM
No, Motown made sure taxes were paid and social security taken out. In the case of most artists living the "good life" at Motown, they assumed that Motown was paying for the houses, furs, jewels, cars, actually it was being charged against future royalties. One reason why so many left Motown actually owing the company money in some cases, or little left in actual cash upon leaving. Also, take into account spouses who went through these ladies money like it was water. Many female entertainers have spouses and family members on the payroll with credit cards at their disposal.

blackguy69
06-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Most of the law suits and bad business ventures happened in the 80' thru the 90's, not at the present time. I haven't read anything recent or at least in the past 15 years Stating she was in a current lawsuit. None of us know if she has set up a 401k or has a t-bill with a nest egg for the future [[ I can assume she at least done that). None of us know how much in royalties she still receives or how much she makes from the lectures and from the gown exhibit. The point is, we can assume everything but know squat.

Jimi LaLumia
06-05-2016, 07:28 PM
people are reacting to current statements that she is making, and are assuming that she's telling the truth.. why would anyone lie in that direction?

blackguy69
06-05-2016, 08:21 PM
I had to reread the article before I made my comment. Depending on who reads it, they can see whatever they make of it. The way I see it, she basically says she wishes she would've saved for the rainy day but as long as she still has a career, she is happy

sup_fan
06-05-2016, 08:36 PM
well she even stated in the updated Dreamgirl/Sup Faith book in the early 00s that she hadn't ever intended to still be working at her age but given realities, she was [[at the time of the book). again i don't think anyone on here is assuming that she's applied for welfare. and yes, we are speculating given the recent articles on this. U do bring up a good point though that she does still receive royalties. one of the various books along the way in the 90s said she earns rough $75 - 90K a year on her motown royalties. given all of the reissues that continue, i'd assume she's still earning somewhere in that ball park. which isn't a bad income assuming you're living within it.

blackguy69
06-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Or to put it in a nutshell, yes I'm still signing, yes I'm still getting paid, no I'm not in the poorhouse, but if i had saved I would have an easier life

BayouMotownMan
06-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I'd have to disagree on what Mary receives on Supremes royalties. Not much is being issued anymore and with pirating ALL artists are receiving less and less in royalties each year

Jimi LaLumia
06-05-2016, 08:52 PM
especially as major royalties and airplay royalties are from publishing/ songwriting and DMF were not songwriters, nor was Jean Terrell [[that I know of) for that matter.. the major royalties come from writing and publishing.. artist royalty is non existent at radio for certain

marv2
06-05-2016, 09:35 PM
people are reacting to current statements that she is making, and are assuming that she's telling the truth.. why would anyone lie in that direction?

I wished I could tell you! LOL! But I can't.

marv2
06-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Most of the law suits and bad business ventures happened in the 80' thru the 90's, not at the present time. I haven't read anything recent or at least in the past 15 years Stating she was in a current lawsuit. None of us know if she has set up a 401k or has a t-bill with a nest egg for the future [[ I can assume she at least done that). None of us know how much in royalties she still receives or how much she makes from the lectures and from the gown exhibit. The point is, we can assume everything but know squat.

Add in the books and DVD's........

jobeterob
06-06-2016, 12:54 AM
There's little left of royalties

It would be more graceful for Mary to exit quietly without embarrassing herself

Maybe she could ask for an invitation to one of Diana's concerts and be introduced from the crowd and join in I Will Survive