PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson On Why Protecting America's Musical Legends Must Be A Priority

test

marv2
05-27-2016, 05:41 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2016/05/25/the-supremes-mary-wilson-on-why-protecting-americas-musical-legends-must-be-a-priority/#7b882b667109

Roberta75
05-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Wilson says. “There are at least 18 different bands touring saying they’re the Coasters or the Drifters or the Platters, but they didn’t have anything to do with those groups. If this was Coca-Cola, and you came out and you’d be in jail"Yet Miss Wilson had no problem doing a mini tour of the UK with a group of 30 year old Drifters who wasnt alive when Under the Boardwalk was on the charts.I get what shes protecting but it semis a bit hypocriticall just the same IMO.

marv2
05-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Wilson says. “There are at least 18 different bands touring saying they’re the Coasters or the Drifters or the Platters, but they didn’t have anything to do with those groups. If this was Coca-Cola, and you came out and you’d be in jail"Yet Miss Wilson had no problem doing a mini tour of the UK with a group of 30 year old Drifters who wasnt alive when Under the Boardwalk was on the charts.I get what shes protecting but it semis a bit hypocriticall just the same IMO.

You sure love to rag on Mary Wilson don't you? Well to set the record straight. Each of the acts that participated in the Legends Tour signed their contracts with the promoter individually. The shows were held in England where the laws in the US do not apply and Mary Wilson, Dionne Warwick and Roberta Flack cannot do anything about the Non-Original Drifters even though each of these ladies support Truth In Music Act.

Thank you Mary Wilson for all of your hard work on behalf of other Classic Music Artists!

Roberta75
05-27-2016, 07:31 PM
You sure love to rag on Mary Wilson don't you? Well to set the record straight. Each of the acts that participated in the Legends Tour signed their contracts with the promoter individually. The shows were held in England where the laws in the US do not apply and Mary Wilson, Dionne Warwick and Roberta Flack cannot do anything about the Non-Original Drifters even though each of these ladies support Truth In Music Act.Thank you Mary Wilson for all of your hard work on behalf of other Classic Music Artists!I rarely "rag"on Miss Wilson I dont often post on Mary Wilson related threads. I was only stating my opinion and your excuse about laws not applying doesnt real stand up. Its still real hypocriticall IMO but Ive no intention of getting into a cat fight with you. Happy a Memorial Day.

Bluebrock
05-28-2016, 07:30 AM
When i spoke with Mary just prior to one of these shows in early October last year i asked her about this. She said that although she was the last act to sign on she was unaware that the "Drifters" were a bogus version of the real thing. I didn't probe any further because she was not in the best of moods , so make of that what you will.

ralpht
05-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Easy Marv. Roberta put forth a ligit question.

jobeterob
05-28-2016, 11:44 AM
When you are 72 and you still want to perform, you get the jobs you can and you can't vet everything in advance. The choice might be no job which isn't what the artist wants.

Jimi LaLumia
05-28-2016, 12:27 PM
yes, Mary is still working in these situations but making her feelings clear and channeling her energy in the right direction.. remember those fake, 20 year old Marvelettes not too long ago? I don't see why they don't just call these shows 'tributes to' like the rock groups do

rod_rick
05-28-2016, 07:29 PM
I rarely "rag"on Miss Wilson I dont often post on Mary Wilson related threads. I was only stating my opinion and your excuse about laws not applying doesnt real stand up. Its still real hypocriticall IMO but Ive no intention of getting into a cat fight with you. Happy a Memorial Day.

Roberta if you go to this website:
http://prism.clearwebserver.co.uk/profiles/the-drifters/
and The Drifters wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drifters

Mary don't really come off as hypocritical. The group she performed on the bill with has the official licensing to perform under name The Drifters. Treadle has owned he name maybe as far back as 1953.

Rob I agree with you, at 72 Mary is still working so she of course will take these type of bookings every now and then.

jobeterob
05-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Of course that does make a difference as well.

Roberta75
05-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Roberta if you go to this website:http://prism.clearwebserver.co.uk/profiles/the-drifters/and The Drifters wikipedia page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_DriftersMary don't really come off as hypocritical. The group she performed on the bill with has the official licensing to perform under name The Drifters. Treadle has owned he name maybe as far back as 1953.Rob I agree with you, at 72 Mary is still working so she of course will take these type of bookings every now and then.Yes but those drifters are all in the 30s and 40s they werent born in 1953. Its like Larry Marshak putting 30 something year old Marvelettes on a stage in Vegas and billing them Marvelettes. I thought the truth is music bill stated that they supposed to have at least one original member. I would have preferred miss Wilson to refuse the gig with those Drifters but thats just my opinion. Everybody needs to put food on the table.Have a great Sunday everyone and happy Memorial Day and lets all show respect and gratitude to everyone in our military past and present.Roberta

marv2
05-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes but those drifters are all in the 30s and 40s they werent born in 1953. Its like Larry Marshak putting 30 something year old Marvelettes on a stage in Vegas and billing them Marvelettes. I thought the truth is music bill stated that they supposed to have at least one original member. I would have preferred miss Wilson to refuse the gig with those Drifters but thats just my opinion. Everybody needs to put food on the table.Have a great Sunday everyone and happy Memorial Day and lets all show respect and gratitude to everyone in our military past and present.Roberta

Mary Wilson is a millionaire, she is not having trouble putting food on the table. The "Truth in Music Act/Legislation is not in effect in the U.K.

Roberta75
05-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Mary Wilson is a millionaire, she is not having trouble putting food on the table. The "Truth in Music Act/Legislation is not in effect in the U.K.Please stop being so defensive. I never said Miss Wilson had "trouble" putting a meal on her table. Im stating my opinion and my food on the table comment was not directed to Mary Wilson personaly im talking about the fake [[IMO) Drifters and the Marvelettes that are out there working and taking gigs under real dubious billing. EVERYBODY on this here planet needs to put food on the table regardless of how rich or poor you are.

jobeterob
05-30-2016, 01:15 AM
I believe Mary said recently she wished she had made better financial choices.

Bluebrock
05-30-2016, 02:56 AM
I believe Mary said recently she wished she had made better financial choices.
Yes she did jobetrob.

marv2
05-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Whatever she meant, she is a wealthy woman and still enjoying a viable career in entertainment. Go Mary!

milven
06-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Mary Wilson is a millionaire, she is not having trouble putting food on the table. The "Truth in Music Act/Legislation is not in effect in the U.K.

I know that we cant believe everything that is printed in the National Enquirer, but in it Mary says that she does have to work. She has not only said this in interviews in the Enquirer, but In the past month, she has said the same thing in other interviews.

On a personal level, the “Where Did Our Love Go” singer doesn’t mind admitting that she has money problems.“Now, after 60 years, I find myself having to work,” she said.

“Thank God I love what I do and still have a voice!”

Mary also still dares to dream. She wants to stop feuding in the name of love — and money with Diana Ross. And if Mary gets her wish, someday she and estranged bandmate Diana Ross will be together!

Mary says she wants to make up with Diana.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/diana-ross-supremes-reunion-mary-wilson/

marv2
06-04-2016, 06:48 PM
I know what I know and I am not going there any further.

milven
06-04-2016, 09:47 PM
I don't know what I don't know and I am not going any further.