PDA

View Full Version : Diana & Marvin charts position in Japan.

test

Albator
05-18-2016, 02:00 AM
For those interested in charts, I'v just added her positions and sales figures from Japan [[oricon) .

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15869&p=6072906#p6072906

The only new addition is the Diana & Marvin LP that was missing. It was a huge hit, selling probably more than 100 000 copies.

florence
05-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks for this list - really interesting and enjpyed reading it.

The Force Behind The Power by far her biggest selling LP but even that was just over 100k.

The fact that they also have a separate chart for foreign artists [[in addition to an overall chart) is confusing but I understand that the Japanses sales figures are almost certainly the most accurate of any.

Albator
05-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks for this list - really interesting and enjpyed reading it.

The Force Behind The Power by far her biggest selling LP but even that was just over 100k.

The fact that they also have a separate chart for foreign artists [[in addition to an overall chart) is confusing but I understand that the Japanses sales figures are almost certainly the most accurate of any.
I'm not sure even if the charts have the appearances. These are not the real figures but statistical projections from a network of shops. It is unclear how much, or how it has evolved through the time. These figures allowed to make a classification, often a top 100.
If you are lucky to have the Oricon book, which is my case, you'll see that sometimes there was a top 300 [[2003 and 2005). So I can see a 300th sells about 850 copies while a 95th sells in 1000, a 80th in 1500 approximatively. Once again 1970 is not 1985 and not 2005, but sales are remarkably stable.
I see ABBA charting 10 weeks in 2002 ranked at 160, sold 10 731 CDs with Gold greatest hits. If there had been only the top 100, they would have gone unnoticed .

Japanese figures are from cumulative sales while the record is in the rankings and when it comes out, it is no longer counted.

For example "Working Overtime" is # 98, one week with 1040 sales . If it has sold 30 weeks [[which is the average time), it would have sold 31,040 copies minimum.

In 2005, Olivia Newton-John sold 3524 cd in four weeks at # 251.

Even more amazing, some disc that does not appear in the top 100 are gold. Presumably they are not returned in the top 100 but they sold a long time.

Being reasonable, we can add 30,000 sales for each album. This is why, Japan is her third market in terms of selling records and why she did special projects for Japan or she can fill the Nippon Budokan last year.

Bluebrock
05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure even if the charts have the appearances. These are not the real figures but statistical projections from a network of shops. It is unclear how much, or how it has evolved through the time. These figures allowed to make a classification, often a top 100.
If you are lucky to have the Oricon book, which is my case, you'll see that sometimes there was a top 300 [[2003 and 2005). So I can see a 300th sells about 850 copies while a 95th sells in 1000, a 80th in 1500 approximatively. Once again 1970 is not 1985 and not 2005, but sales are remarkably stable.
I see an artist charting 11 weeks in 2003 ranked the best at 175 sold 13,000 CDs. If there had been only the top 100, he would have gone unnoticed .

Japanese figures are from cumulative sales while the record is in the rankings and when it comes out, it is no longer counted.

For example "Working Overtime" is # 98, one week with 1040 sales . If it has sold 30 weeks [[which is the average time), it would have sold 31,040 copies minimum.

In 2005, Olivia Newton-John sold 3524 cd in four weeks at # 251.

Even more amazing, some disc that does not appear in the top 100 are gold. Presumably they are not returned in the top 100 but they sold a long time.

Being reasonable, we can add 30,000 sales for each album. This is why, Japan is her third market in terms of selling records and why she did special projects for Japan or she can fill the Nippon Budokan last year.
When i was working with her we went to Japan twice. They really went crazy for her and she lapped up all the adulation as i recall. It was all a bit too hectic for me but i am glad i got the opportunity to experience a unique country.

Albator
05-19-2016, 07:56 AM
When i was working with her we went to Japan twice. They really went crazy for her and she lapped up all the adulation as i recall. It was all a bit too hectic for me but i am glad i got the opportunity to experience a unique country.When was that ??? In the nineties ?

Bluebrock
05-19-2016, 12:00 PM
When was that ??? In the nineties ?

Yes. 1992 and 1996 if memory serves.

Roberta75
05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
When i was working with her we went to Japan twice. They really went crazy for her and she lapped up all the adulation as i recall. It was all a bit too hectic for me but i am glad i got the opportunity to experience a unique country.

Lucky you dear Bluebrock. Her background singer Fred White told me that Diane Ross treats her band and crew and workers real well and is generous and nurturring.

Fondly,

Roberta

Albator
05-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Diana toured Japan with the Supremes, than in 1973, 78, 90, 93, 94, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2015.
I think a few concerts were with Placid Domingo.

In 92 and 96, she played many concerts at the NHK Hall in Tokyo. Great place !

Bluebrock
05-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Lucky you dear Bluebrock. Her background singer Fred White told me that Diane Ross treats her band and crew and workers real well and is generous and nurturring.

Fondly,

Roberta
She certainly does Roberta. She treats them with great respect and is very generous in many ways. Happy memories.

Bluebrock
05-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Diana toured Japan with the Supremes, than in 1973, 78, 90, 93, 94, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2015.
I think a few concerts were with Placid Domingo.

In 92 and 96, she played many concerts at the NHK Hall in Tokyo. Great place !
Yes i think you are correct there Albator. I would have to consult my diary for confirmation but we did play the same venue in Tokyo on both tours.

Albator
05-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Yes i think you are correct there Albator. I would have to consult my diary for confirmation but we did play the same venue in Tokyo on both tours.
Do you recall something special about Japan? It seems very difficult to interact with them. Fans were and are numerous, but we never heard about them.

Bluebrock
05-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Do you recall something special about Japan? It seems very difficult to interact with them. Fans were and are numerous, but we never heard about them.
If I am to be honest I found it all too overwhelming. I am a country guy at heart and enjoy living in a rural area surrounded by cows and sheep. Tokyo was frantic. 90 miles an hour stuff. They adore Diana and you are treated like royalty but it is a cold, strangely detached place. The press and fans are in your face constantly and their loyalty is beyond reproach, but it is not a place where you can chill out. I think I was there around 10 days on both visits and I couldn't wait to leave and return to my family. Diana offered to pay for my family to join me in 1996 but I declined, and I declined to return there in 1998.

Albator
05-20-2016, 01:31 PM
If I am to be honest I found it all too overwhelming. I am a country guy at heart and enjoy living in a rural area surrounded by cows and sheep. Tokyo was frantic. 90 miles an hour stuff. They adore Diana and you are treated like royalty but it is a cold, strangely detached place. The press and fans are in your face constantly and their loyalty is beyond reproach, but it is not a place where you can chill out. I think I was there around 10 days on both visits and I couldn't wait to leave and return to my family. Diana offered to pay for my family to join me in 1996 but I declined, and I declined to return there in 1998.
Diana was very nice and generous. I would love to go there. Did she appreciate her japanese fans or acted differently with this audience?
Did you feel they know her the same way we do, her songs, her life ?
I am surprise you are talking about the press because we see nothing ... No pictures, no magazines. Really strange country.