PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & The Supremes: The Farewell Performance on DVD?

test

Ian Scarlet
05-12-2016, 05:22 PM
I designed this cover art for the possible DVD:

What do you think? Did this concert film? Will it release?

marv2
05-12-2016, 05:29 PM
I designed this cover art for the possible DVD:

What do you think? Did this concert film? Will it release?

Nice artwork Scarlet. No it has not been released and I don't believe it will be.

daviddh
05-12-2016, 05:44 PM
It was recorded over a 6 day period for release as an album, but to my knowledge it was nto filmed but may have been. Motown signed a deal with NBC to do 3 tv specials with the supremes, two were TCB amd GIT with the third still remaining. it was going to be Farewell but Motown decided to make the third Diana's solo special. Deke Richards who produced the Farewell album stated he didn't remember them filming it . but some swear it was and have copies. personally I believe it when I see it. also Deke stated so many other entertainers were in the audience it was hard getting them to sign off on legal stuff as some didn't want to be included in the album.perhaps the dvd as well.
his interview is here somewhere here on SDF

marv2
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
I was recorded over a 6 day period for release as an album, but to my knowledge it was nto filmed but may have been. Motown signed a deal with NBC to do 3 tv specials with the supremes, two were TCB amd GIT with the third still remaining. it was going to be Farewell but Motown decided to make the third her solo special. Deke Richards who produced the Farewell album stated he didn't remember them filming it . but some swear it was and have copies. personally I believe it when I see it. also they stated so many other entertainers were in the audience it was hard getting them to sign off on legal stuff as some didn't want to be included in the album.perhaps the dvd as well

It was filmed and I've seen the entire concert from the final night on film.

daviddh
05-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Marv,, any out takes not included in the album.?

theboyfromxtown
05-12-2016, 07:02 PM
It was filmed and I've seen the entire concert from the final night on film.

You lucky man!

I'm envious. There are not many live albums that I rate really highly but that was one I did. I'd love to see that show.

marv2
05-12-2016, 07:05 PM
You lucky man!

I'm envious. There are not many live albums that I rate really highly but that was one I did. I'd love to see that show.

theboyfromxtown, it was back in the 80s at a friend's home in Detroit. They just casually put these videos on. One was the film of the Diana Ross & the Supremes Farewell performance, another was Mary's solo debut show at the New York, New York club in 1979.

marv2
05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Marv,, any out takes not included in the album.?

I don't remember, but I especially enjoyed "Big Spender" when they played around with guys near the edge of the stage. There was a compilation of several nights performances and then the full final night's show.