PDA

View Full Version : Parliament-Funkadelic Performs "Give Up The Funk [[Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)"

test

marv2
04-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Classic Clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4EKAG8lASU

timmyfunk
04-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
May 6th, 1997. Cleveland, Ohio.

Jerry Oz
04-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Thanks, Marv. I don't think any artist had a better decade than P-Funk did in the '70s. Their hits sound as good today as they did - wait for it - 40 years ago.

marv2
04-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
May 6th, 1997. Cleveland, Ohio.

It was awesome, wasn't it?

marv2
04-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Marv. I don't think any artist had a better decade than P-Funk did in the '70s. Their hits sound as good today as they did - wait for it - 40 years ago.

You are welcome Jerry. P-Funk ruled in the 70s. I saw them in concert twice in those days and they were excellent.

timmyfunk
04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
They rule period. Thanks for reminding everyone.

marv2
04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
They rule period. Thanks for reminding everyone.

You are welcome. Thinking back now, I love how George Clinton and P-Funk never compromised like the Commodores for instance.

Jerry Oz
04-27-2016, 11:52 PM
The Commodores had a dominant artist who was interested in things that took the band away from their fan base. Before he left, they were really just his backing band [[in my opinion) and that's too bad. They were at their best as an R&B and soul outfit, but they moved into country and gospel. By the time they became a pop band, they were pretty flavorless and the only distinguishing sound was Lionel Richie's voice. When he left, taking that and his songwriting with him, he also took the pop fans that they had accumulated. They weren't strong enough to win back the R&B fans that they had lost.

George Clinton is the last of the great band leaders. I personally consider him with my other favorites like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman. He had a huge impact on the music that I choose to listen to up until this day. And yes, his music was uncompromising and his spirit is indomitable.

timmyfunk1
08-24-2021, 10:28 AM
The Commodores had a dominant artist who was interested in things that took the band away from their fan base. Before he left, they were really just his backing band [[in my opinion) and that's too bad. They were at their best as an R&B and soul outfit, but they moved into country and gospel. By the time they became a pop band, they were pretty flavorless and the only distinguishing sound was Lionel Richie's voice. When he left, taking that and his songwriting with him, he also took the pop fans that they had accumulated. They weren't strong enough to win back the R&B fans that they had lost.

George Clinton is the last of the great band leaders. I personally consider him with my other favorites like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman. He had a huge impact on the music that I choose to listen to up until this day. And yes, his music was uncompromising and his spirit is indomitable.

I would definitely put George in that same category. And Bootsy Collins is also an underrated producer.