PDA

View Full Version : RARE Motown

test

marybrewster
04-11-2016, 10:22 AM
A response in a different thread prompts me to ask:

Does anyone have any RARE [[or erroneous) Motown items?

I have a DRATS "Love Child" LP that has "Side A" labels on both sides. So when you play the album, you never know which side you are going to hear. I'm sure this was done in error during pressing, and I always thought it was pretty neat. Maybe not worth anything, but still a fun little item to have.

theboyfromxtown
04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
I've got a Monitors 45 on Soul which plays two songs by the Turtles!

midnight johnny
04-12-2016, 04:44 PM
I've got Jr. Walker's "Shotgun" original vinyl LP with Side A on BOTh sides....but nothing as unique as John's Monitors Turtles...that is a great mistake!

thommg
04-12-2016, 05:16 PM
I've got a Monitors 45 on Soul which plays two songs by the Turtles!

I wonder if the Monitors or the Turtles got credit for that sale!

mysterysinger
04-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Not rare but my US original CD of "Away We A Go Go" actually plays the "Going To A Go Go" album instead.

Recently received brand new a bbr CD of Harold Melvin's "Black and Blue" that played an entirely different album by someone else. I sent it back for a refund.

lockhartgary
04-14-2016, 06:04 PM
I used to own a copy of the Temptations Compact Command Performances CD. It erroneously had the Paul Williams led cover of "Hey Girl" instead of the intended "Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)".

BayouMotownMan
04-14-2016, 06:54 PM
First Pressing of the 3 Ounces of Love lp had side A on both sides. By the time it was pulled and replaced the lp was already sunk. It's a pretty good album too

mysterysinger
04-14-2016, 06:59 PM
The Mable John collection "My Name Is Mable" was supposed to have two versions of "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That". Instead it contained the same version twice.

motownjohnny
04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a white label DJ Promo copy of "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That" by Mable John, issued not on Tamla, but on the Motown "stripes" label. It has the cat. no. M-54031.

As this was her first 45 for the company, I've often wondered if it was originally intended that her output be released on Motown, but for some reason she was switched to Tamla at the last moment, hence this odd "hybrid" copy.

woodward
04-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Question: Does anyone have any RARE [[or erroneous) Motown items?

I have the commercial copy of Baby Love/Ask Any Girl Motown 1066
with the ZTSC and DM numbers on the label which are identical to what is in the wax.

I also have an identical commercial copy of the same record that has only a different ZTSP 91452 in the wax and also ZTSP 91453 in the wax. This 45 has Bell Sound in the wax vs. the first which does not mention Bell Sound.

I have no idea who the group is, but it AINT'T THE SUPREMES!!!!!!!!!!

144man
04-19-2016, 04:43 AM
The Mable John collection "My Name Is Mable" was supposed to have two versions of "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That". Instead it contained the same version twice.

I bought a second copy some time later to see if the mistake had been rectified. Needless to say, it hadn't!

grapevine
04-21-2016, 08:40 AM
...a little aside ...I went to The Magic of Motown show earlier this month ...OK ...the artists and musicians weren't Motown ...but they were on form ...and the look and sound of Motown was fabulous ...but of the 1000s of Motown songs they could have chosen ...among the 20-odd titles they chose ...did they really have to sing the non-Motown ...Tops' 'Loco In Acapulco' ...Diana's 'Chain Reaction' ...and the Jacksons' 'Blame It On The Boogie'...???

http://www.easytheatres.com/uk/1a/

:)

bobkayli
04-22-2016, 08:35 AM
I was there on the very first night it opened and they didn't sing any of those songs. It was Motown all the way. Maybe they changed the songs for some reason.