PDA

View Full Version : Telma Laverne [[Del-La Record TS-2) - Baby Don't You Leave Me/He's a Lucky Guy-Value?

test

jscott173
04-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the board and seeking an understanding of the value of the above record in the following condition, near as we can describe. To provide more info, attaching pictures and sound clips. I've only seen a few sales on this, and am told it is extremely rare:

Sound clips:

http://www.classic45s.com/jukebox/Baby_Dont_You_Leave_Me.mp3
http://www.classic45s.com/jukebox/Hes_A_Lucky_Guy.mp3

Labels: A label is actually a strong EX, with no writing and only very light ring wear, but the B label is VG with a couple of bits of small writing.
Vinyl: VG, with scuffing and some light scratches. Fortunately, it plays better than it looks.
Audio: EX, reflecting some surface noise and an occasional light "pop", but overall strong and undistorted. After the first few revolutions on the A side, the record actually plays more like EX+. I'm attaching sound clips here of the actual record, as well as pictures.

Thanks to any/all!

robb_k
04-01-2016, 01:26 PM
That looks graded way too high. With all those surface scratches, writing on label, and pops and scratches in the sound, it seems like VG record to me. Maybe VG+ if it sounds a lot better. But, if I heard pops and scratches on my computer speaker, it would only sound worse on good speakers.

jscott173
04-01-2016, 01:40 PM
That looks graded way too high. With all those surface scratches, writing on label, and pops and scratches in the sound, it seems like VG record to me. Maybe VG+ if it sounds a lot better. But, if I heard pops and scratches on my computer speaker, it would only sound worse on good speakers.
Hi there, thanks for your reply. We actually grade the vinyl VG, but given how strong and undistorted the sound was, it was suggested to us that audio was EX. That's why we put the sound clips in. I do know that a G copy sold for $2800 US. Did you have a thought on the value, or was this just a comment on the grading? Thank you either way.

robb_k
04-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Hi there, thanks for your reply. We actually grade the vinyl VG, but given how strong and undistorted the sound was, it was suggested to us that audio was EX. That's why we put the sound clips in. I do know that a G copy sold for $2800 US. Did you have a thought on the value, or was this just a comment on the grading? Thank you either way.
Sorry, I can't help you with price. I haven't bought any records on auction since about 1980. I have no idea of current prices. I do know that it's a fairly rare record, and in high demand on the Northern Soul scene. But they prize good condition records, and as their scene is DJ based [[a very high % of collectors in that scene are, themselves DJs), reductions in condition make the values plummet much lower than in ANY of the other collector scenes [[other than, perhaps, classical music).

Telma Laverne is a heavy hitter in both The Northern Soul scene[["Baby Don't You Leave Me), and the Detroit Soul collector's scene, and may even be desired by The Belgian "Popcorn [[mid-tempo "shag") scene [["He's A Lucky Guy"). I'd like to get a copy of that record myself, as I am a big Detroit collector, and a Detroit Soul historian. But, I would only want it in that poor condition, if I could get it for a ridiculously low price $100 US or less). I realise that that isn't realistic. I'd have to be lucky to find it in the hands of someone who doesn't know its value.

jscott173
04-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Yes, we have been dealers for 20 years through our own site, and in fact sell 80 percent new and unplayed on our site www.classic45s.com. The condition just is a killer I agree, but with that said, we already have an offer for someone who could handle and listen to it of $2,000. We bought a collection from a NC Black female DJ and all of her dj promos were new and unplayed--all 5,500! So I totally get it on the condition. Most of those DJs in Europe have purchased heavily from this collection and don't consider this one a "floor filler", though they all admit the potential is there, it is just the record is so rare it hasn't been played out enough even in the rare rooms for it to catch on. This is certainly a tough one, and I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time.

Sorry, I can't help you with price. I haven't bought any records on auction since about 1980. I have no idea of current prices. I do know that it's a fairly rare record, and in high demand on the Northern Soul scene. But they prize good condition records, and as their scene is DJ based [[a very high % of collectors in that scene are, themselves DJs), reductions in condition make the values plummet much lower than in ANY of the other collector scenes [[other than, perhaps, classical music).

Telma Laverne is a heavy hitter in both The Northern Soul scene[["Baby Don't You Leave Me), and the Detroit Soul collector's scene, and may even be desired by The Belgian "Popcorn [[mid-tempo "shag") scene [["He's A Lucky Guy"). I'd like to get a copy of that record myself, as I am a big Detroit collector, and a Detroit Soul historian. But, I would only want it in that poor condition, if I could get it for a ridiculously low price $100 US or less). I realise that that isn't realistic. I'd have to be lucky to find it in the hands of someone who doesn't know its value.