PDA

View Full Version : At Long Last -- STARGARD - "Changing Of The Gard" [[Expanded Edition)

test

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Available from BBR [[Big Break Records) April 1, STARGARD's "Changing Of The Gard" is FINALLY coming to CD as an Expanded Edition!

With their earlier product produced by the late, great Norman Whitfield, Stargard's 1979 release of "Changing Of The Gard" album was produced by Robert White and Earth, Wind & Fire's Verdine White.

The track lineup is as follows:
1. Wear It Out
2. [[Once in a Lifetime) Dream Come True
3. Footstompin' Music
4. Take Me Back
5. Runnin' from the Law
6. Bedtime Story
7. I Just Imagined You
8. Put on Your Rollerskates
9. Lowdown Dancing
10. Flashback

Bonus Tracks:
11. Wear It Out [[Single Version)
12. Runnin' from the Law [[Single Version)
13. Wear It Out [[12" Disco Version)
14. Wear It Out [[12" Instrumental Version)

Not sure if this release is one of the best-kept secrets ever, or if I'm slipping, as its release is less than a week away and I JUST found out about it! Either way, "Changing Of The Gard" will be available Friday, April 1. [This had better not be an April Fool's joke! I've been waiting too darned long for this one! Let's also hope that, during the remastering process, BBR didn't crank up the bass to the point of sounding muddy and muffled. [[Soulster, you know what I mean!)]

All in all, I loved Stargard's "Changing Of The Guard" album and I've got high hopes for this one! Keeping my fingers crossed! - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Gard-Expanded-STARGARD/dp/B01AY2IJWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458999100&sr=8-1&keywords=stargard+cds

[[ORIGINAL LP RELEASE DATE CORRECTED ABOVE)

Cosmic Truth
03-26-2016, 12:52 PM
I wish someone would release Stargard, and What You Waitin' For on CD.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 01:40 PM
It looks like their "Stargard" album has already been released on CD in Japan. A 3rd-party dealer on Amazon is selling a used copy for a mere $302.31!!!

http://www.amazon.com/x9280-x6CB3-x304B-x3089-x306E/dp/B00005GSIL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1459013467&sr=8-4&keywords=stargard+cds

I wouldn't worry, Cosmic Truth. When BBR releases a title on any given artist, they often follow up by releasing the artist's other product as well. We'll keep our fingers crossed for Stargard's other two albums seeing the light of day on CD as well.

Bluebrock
03-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Available from BBR [[Big Break Records) April 1, STARGARD's "Changing Of The Gard" is FINALLY coming to CD as an Expanded Edition!

With their earlier product produced by the late, great Norman Whitfield, Stargard's 1983 release of "Changing Of The Gard" album was produced by Robert White and Earth, Wind & Fire's Verdine White.

The track lineup is as follows:
1. Wear It Out
2. [[Once in a Lifetime) Dream Come True
3. Footstompin' Music
4. Take Me Back
5. Runnin' from the Law
6. Bedtime Story
7. I Just Imagined You
8. Put on Your Rollerskates
9. Lowdown Dancing
10. Flashback

Bonus Tracks:
11. Wear It Out [[Single Version)
12. Runnin' from the Law [[Single Version)
13. Wear It Out [[12" Disco Version)
14. Wear It Out [[12" Instrumental Version)

Not sure if this release is one of the best-kept secrets ever, or if I'm slipping, as its release is less than a week away and I JUST found out about it! Either way, "Changing Of The Gard" will be available Friday, April 1. [This had better not be an April Fool's joke! I've been waiting too darned long for this one! Let's also hope that, during the remastering process, BBR didn't crank up the bass to the point of sounding muddy and muffled. [[Soulster, you know what I mean!)]

All in all, I loved Stargard's "Changing Of The Guard" album and I've got high hopes for this one! Keeping my fingers crossed! - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Gard-Expanded-STARGARD/dp/B01AY2IJWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458999100&sr=8-1&keywords=stargard+cds

It is not an April fools trick!! I saw this cd in a branch of HMV on Good Friday. I am not familiar with their later work but i have put it on my list of possible future purchases. I guess you are saying it is a good album Phillies/Motown Gary?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 02:54 PM
I was just kiddin' about the cruel April Fool's joke, Bluebrock. I read about it in my email from Joe Marchese and The Second Disc's Weekly Round-Up of CD releases for the week. I was just surprised that I hadn't heard about STARGARD's "Changing Of The Guard" April 1st CD release until now.

To answer your question, yes -- I LOVE this album! I had all three of Stargard's albums back in the day, and this one was my favorite. Whereas the first two concentrated on funk, "Changing Of The Gard" was a perfect combination of Pop/Disco/Funk. Mind you, with the exception of "Wear It Out", I haven't heard the tracks on this album since I sold my entire LP collection back in 1987 when I first discovered CD's. But, if I recall, my favorite tracks were "Wear It Out", "Footstompin' Music", "Take Me Back", and a beautiful ballad which, I think, was "I Just Imagined You". These are the kind of tracks that made me wanna play them over and over again. Overall, "Changing Of The Gard" quickly became one of my favorite albums in my entire LP collection. That's why I can't wait to get it back into my collection on CD!

Bluebrock
03-26-2016, 03:32 PM
I was just kiddin' about the cruel April Fool's joke, Bluebrock. I read about it in my email from Joe Marchese and The Second Disc's Weekly Round-Up of CD releases for the week. I was just surprised that I hadn't heard about STARGARD's "Changing Of The Guard" April 1st CD release until now.

To answer your question, yes -- I LOVE this album! I had all three of Stargard's albums back in the day, and this one was my favorite. Whereas the first two concentrated on funk, "Changing Of The Gard" was a perfect combination of Pop/Disco/Funk. Mind you, with the exception of "Wear It Out", I haven't heard the tracks on this album since I sold my entire LP collection back in 1987 when I first discovered CD's. But, if I recall, my favorite tracks were "Wear It Out", "Footstompin' Music", "Take Me Back", and a beautiful ballad which, I think, was "I Just Imagined You". These are the kind of tracks that made me wanna play them over and over again. Overall, "Changing Of The Gard" quickly became one of my favorite albums in my entire LP collection. That's why I can't wait to get it back into my collection on CD!
You have sold it's merits to me!

I had "which way is up" and a ballad i think it was called "love is so easy" on vinyl back in the day, but other than those tracks the only other track i am familiar with is "wear it out". I love 70's soul/disco so i guess this one could be right up my street. Thank you for that.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 04:17 PM
You have sold it's merits to me!

I had "which way is up" and a ballad i think it was called "love is so easy" on vinyl back in the day, but other than those tracks the only other track i am familiar with is "wear it out". I love 70's soul/disco so i guess this one could be right up my street. Thank you for that.
You're very welcome, Bluebrock. Glad to be of help!

marv2
03-26-2016, 04:42 PM
I thought "Wear It Out" came out before 1983?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 05:25 PM
I thought "Wear It Out" came out before 1983?

Hey, Marv, you're totally right! I goofed when I read the article wrong. The "Changing Of The Gard" LP was released in 1979, before the group broke up in 1983. Thanks for catching that! - Gary

PS: I remember, I was so impressed with "Changing Of The Gard", I could hardly wait for their next album to come out, but, unfortunately, there was no more. You would have thought they could have found the means to put out one more album in the next 4 years before breaking up, but, for whatever reason, it just wasn't meant to be.

Bluebrock
03-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Hey, Marv, you're totally right! I goofed when I read the article wrong. The "Changing Of The Gard" LP was released in 1979, before the group broke up in 1983. Thanks for catching that! - Gary

PS: I remember, I was so impressed with "Changing Of The Gard", I could hardly wait for their next album to come out, but, unfortunately, there was no more. You would have thought they could have found the means to put out one more album in the next 4 years before breaking up, but, for whatever reason, it just wasn't meant to be.
I guess there was just too much competition from other female groups, Sister Sledge, Three Degrees, Pointer Sisters, High Inergy, First Choice, Jones Girls, Love Unlimited. Lots of quality groups there. To make 3 albums is no disgrace, and i look forward to catching up with them.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2016, 09:12 PM
I guess there was just too much competition from other female groups, Sister Sledge, Three Degrees, Pointer Sisters, High Inergy, First Choice, Jones Girls, Love Unlimited. Lots of quality groups there. To make 3 albums is no disgrace, and i look forward to catching up with them.
I hear what you're saying, Bluebrock, but "Wear It Out" was a sizeable dance hit. I'm surprised that it didn't warrant at least one more album release from the group. Who knows? I guess the thing to do is to just be grateful for what we got, and enjoy the heck out of this new CD release!

marv2
03-26-2016, 11:54 PM

What happened to Stargard is what happened to dozens and dozens of groups popular in the late 70s. Regardless of how talented they were, they were swept out with the "Disco Sucks" movement. It was totally unfair and denied us of a lot of great music that may have been produced.

Bluebrock
03-27-2016, 09:25 AM
I hear what you're saying, Bluebrock, but "Wear It Out" was a sizeable dance hit. I'm surprised that it didn't warrant at least one more album release from the group. Who knows? I guess the thing to do is to just be grateful for what we got, and enjoy the heck out of this new CD release!
Since my last post i have contacted an old friend in the business and asked him to do some digging and try to find out any info regarding the demise of Starguard. He is pretty good and has got lots of contacts. He may be able to shed some light on what may or may not have happened. Leave it with me.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-27-2016, 10:10 AM
What happened to Stargard is what happened to dozens and dozens of groups popular in the late 70s. Regardless of how talented they were, they were swept out with the "Disco Sucks" movement. It was totally unfair and denied us of a lot of great music that may have been produced.
You're probably right, Marv. I had temporarily forgotten about the idiotic "Disco Sucks" fiasco, ridiculous and unreasonable as it was. I guess I never really considered Stargard to be a "Disco" group, per say. I considered them a soulful, late-1970's girl group who happened to cut some great dance tracks, just as the other soul [[AND white) groups were all doing at the time. As long as we're on the subject, I think what led to the damnation of Disco was the success of EuroDisco [[nothing personal to our European friends!), which was pretty much just synthesizers with an incessant, pound-pound-pounding beat. Personally, I LOVE classic 1970's Disco, yet even I grew weary of the EuroDisco sound. There wasn't much "soul" to it. If the Disco sound had remained American at the time [[like Motown and Philly-Soul, which I think EVERYBODY loved at the time and STILL do), the term "Disco" and the music it represented would have remained popular as ever, thus avoiding the unreasonable backlash which ended up killing so many of our favorite artists on the charts. Just my opinion.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Since my last post i have contacted an old friend in the business and asked him to do some digging and try to find out any info regarding the demise of Starguard. He is pretty good and has got lots of contacts. He may be able to shed some light on what may or may not have happened. Leave it with me.
Hey, great, Bluebrock! I'm looking forward to hearing what your friend has to say. Thanks!

Bluebrock
03-27-2016, 11:59 AM
You're probably right, Marv. I had temporarily forgotten about the idiotic "Disco Sucks" fiasco, ridiculous and unreasonable as it was. I guess I never really considered Stargard to be a "Disco" group, per say. I considered them a soulful, late-1970's girl group who happened to cut some great dance tracks, just as the other soul [[AND white) groups were all doing at the time. As long as we're on the subject, I think what led to the damnation of Disco was the success of EuroDisco [[nothing personal to our European friends!), which was pretty much just synthesizers with an incessant, pound-pound-pounding beat. Personally, I LOVE classic 1970's Disco, yet even I grew weary of the EuroDisco sound. There wasn't much "soul" to it. If the Disco sound had remained American at the time [[like Motown and Philly-Soul, which I think EVERYBODY loved at the time and STILL do), the term "Disco" and the music it represented would have remained popular as ever, thus avoiding the unreasonable backlash which ended up killing so many of our favorite artists on the charts. Just my opinion.
Not just your opinion my friend. Eurodisco for the most part sucked. There was the odd goodie here and there but for the most part forget it!!

Guy
03-27-2016, 10:36 PM
"Wear It Out" got a second life when it was sampled by Pete Heller for "Big Love." It immortalized that refrain: "I've been saving my lovin'" I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the LP.

http://youtu.be/qws7PVJ8y6A

Bluebrock
03-28-2016, 05:32 AM
"Wear It Out" got a second life when it was sampled by Pete Heller for "Big Love." It immortalized that refrain: "I've been saving my lovin'" I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the LP.

http://youtu.be/qws7PVJ8y6A
I didn't realise it had been sampled though i guess i should have known someone would. I wish i had bought this cd when i saw it on Good Friday, but it will be something to look forward to it when i eventually pick it up.

Cosmic Truth
03-29-2016, 08:57 AM
It looks like their "Stargard" album has already been released on CD in Japan. A 3rd-party dealer on Amazon is selling a used copy for a mere $302.31!!!

http://www.amazon.com/x9280-x6CB3-x304B-x3089-x306E/dp/B00005GSIL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1459013467&sr=8-4&keywords=stargard+cds

I wouldn't worry, Cosmic Truth. When BBR releases a title on any given artist, they often follow up by releasing the artist's other product as well. We'll keep our fingers crossed for Stargard's other two albums seeing the light of day on CD as well.
Three hundred dollars!!! :rolleyes:

I think I'll wait for the CD to come out in the UK, or US.

Bluebrock
04-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Three hundred dollars!!! :rolleyes:

I think I'll wait for the CD to come out in the UK, or US.
You have no need to wait. It has been out in the UK for a couple of weeks.