PDA

View Full Version : How would you CHARACTERIZE The ANDANTE'S SOUND?

test

KRAIG
03-21-2016, 03:16 PM
How would you characterize a sound that contains an Alto [[Jackie Hicks), 2nd Soprano [[Marlene Barrow) and First Soprano [[Louvain Demps)?

Motown Eddie
03-21-2016, 03:31 PM
How would you characterize a sound that contains an Alto [[Jackie Hicks), 2nd Soprano [[Marlene Barrow) and First Soprano [[Louvain Demps)?

I'd describe the sounds of The Andantes as "operatic". They gave most of the songs that they did during the Motown era an airy & operatic feel.

BigAl
03-21-2016, 03:56 PM
I'd term it "sweet and smooth" [[sometimes TOO sweet and smooth, in fact). The harmonies were close and the timbre [[tone color) of three voices similar enough that there wasn't much differentiation among them other than pitch. This made for gorgeous but fairly uniform harmonies which yielded a rather predictable and identifiable sound — unlike, for instance, the versatility of The Blossoms, who had the ability to tailor their sound to any producer's whim.

blackguy69
03-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Depending on the song, hard to say. I prefer their pre67 vocals as opposed to their late 60's sound. I thought they were great on my guy and ain't that peculiar. But once they started doing the girl groups vocals, they sounded homogenized although very good. Some songs like you're the loser now. They sounded kinda flat

mowest
03-21-2016, 11:06 PM
On too many recordings the Andantes sounded "anonymous" with no distinct sound or personality. "Forever Came Today" comes to mind.

jobucats
03-22-2016, 09:25 AM
My thoughts are exactly the same as BigAl's with an emphasis on sometimes being TOO sweet. In no way does this diminish their outstanding contribution the Motown sound.