PDA

View Full Version : Ashford and Simpson and Gladys Knight and The Pips

test

captainjames
03-15-2016, 10:17 PM
I have always wondered if any of the A & S material that was given or written for Gladys Knight and The Pips ever made it up the charts. These are songs that were after Motown;

A friend of mine
I will fight
Bourgie Bourgie
Landlord
Baby Baby Don’t Waste My Time
Taste of Bitter Love
...............................................etc .

luke
03-15-2016, 11:54 PM
During Motown... Didn't you Know...made the charts.

reese
03-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Landlord was a Top Five R&B hit in the US, while reaching the Pop Top 40. I Will Fight hit #21 on the R&B chart. The rest of their Columbia singles with A&S charted R&B, but not all that well.

nabob
03-16-2016, 07:17 AM
During Motown... Didn't you Know...made the charts.

They also recordedI'll Be Standing By from Everybody Needs Love. While the Columbia singles didn't chart so well, they were some of the group's best work. Times and tastes were changing.

Bluebrock
03-16-2016, 07:22 AM
I thought they were a match made in heaven. Love both of the albums. Here in the UK there were a handful of moderate hits but nothing substantial. Of course quality does not always mean success but I loved most of their Columbia stuff whether a&s were involved or not.

reese
03-16-2016, 08:51 AM
I thought they were a match made in heaven. Love both of the albums. Here in the UK there were a handful of moderate hits but nothing substantial. Of course quality does not always mean success but I loved most of their Columbia stuff whether a&s were involved or not.

I agree. Their albums with A&S, ABOUT LOVE and TOUCH, are amongst their best. And the VISIONS album was just perfect to me. The only Columbia disappointment for me was LIFE, which sounds like leftovers from VISIONS.

Bluebrock
03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
I agree. Their albums with A&S, ABOUT LOVE and TOUCH, are amongst their best. And the VISIONS album was just perfect to me. The only Columbia disappointment for me was LIFE, which sounds like leftovers from VISIONS.
Reese - Have to agree with you on all counts. Life was indeed the only average effort, and I reckon you are right about it containing leftovers from the wonderful Visions album.

glencro
03-16-2016, 11:47 AM
they also recordedi'll be standing by from everybody needs love. While the columbia singles didn't chart so well, they were some of the group's best work. Times and tastes were changing.

agreed!!!!

captainjames
03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
I love the work of A&S on Gladys Knight and was surprised they never did a complete album on them. I suppose if they had of got a big hit then it would of happen.