PDA

View Full Version : The best live Supremes broadcast performance

test

luke
03-14-2016, 08:33 PM
What comes to mind for me is You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves you on Hullaballo. Exciting and synergistic and it just kept building! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_O64ystb3Tg I wonder why Flo didn't slip in one of her sassy lines at the beginning!?

BayouMotownMan
03-14-2016, 08:51 PM
What comes to mind for me is You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves you on Hullaballo. Exciting and synergistic and it just kept building!

There are so many I can't narrow them down to just one, so my all time favs are:

Supremes/Sullivan My World Is Empty/Somewhere. They looked and sounding ravishing

Supremes/Sullivan In and Out Of Love. Diana was permanent lead and showed her versatility on this and Thou Swell. Cindy was a great sub

Supremes/Sullivan Up The Ladder. Jean was so great it was as if she never knew who Diana was

Supremes Soul Train 73. Ladies looked happy, serene and joked around. A total shame they disbanded four months later.

Supremes Sonny & Cher All I Want. They gave new life to that song and except for the gowns looked great. Interesting change of choreography.

Supremes Bandstand 1976 Let My Heart. This was the best mix of the song and the one never issued. Susaye is endearing as she looks to Mary for cues, she had so little preparation time

johnjeb
03-14-2016, 08:52 PM
What comes to mind for me is You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves you on Hullaballo. Exciting and synergistic and it just kept building!

I agree. That whole Hullabaloo episode from May 1965 saw them in top form.

My other favorite performances that I thought were exciting were from the Ed Sullivan Show:
The Hits medley, December 1966.
The Happening, May 1967
Always [[Irving Berlin tribute), 1968[[?).

BigAl
03-15-2016, 08:48 AM
The Hullaballoo appearance was definitely what cinched it for me. Before that, I liked The Supremes well enough, but that appearance pushed me over into full-fledged fan status. I read somewhere [[possibly in here) that the show's producers didn't want the group to do "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You," since it was not germane to the show's premise of showcasing Top 40 material, but it's been said that Gordy was hell-bent on crossing The Supremes over, insisted on its inclusion, and ultimately got his way. Their first number was "Back in My Arms Again," and they turned in a marvelous performance, with Flo and Mary miked properly for once, getting their close-ups, and even mugging a bit. That in itself was wonderful, and "You're Nobody" kept that momentum going. Florence had not yet come up with her famous sassy quips which stayed in the act thereafter. Still, the energy, talent, charisma and polish were undeniable, and we had not seen that so clearly before.

reese
03-15-2016, 09:13 AM
The Hullaballoo appearance was definitely what cinched it for me. Before that, I liked The Supremes well enough, but that appearance pushed me over into full-fledged fan status. I read somewhere [[possibly in here) that the show's producers didn't want the group to do "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You," since it was not germane to the show's premise of showcasing Top 40 material, but it's been said that Gordy was hell-bent on crossing The Supremes over, insisted on its inclusion, and ultimately got his way. Their first number was "Back in My Arms Again," and they turned in a marvelous performance, with Flo and Mary miked properly for once, getting their close-ups, and even mugging a bit. That in itself was wonderful, and "You're Nobody" kept that momentum going. Florence had not yet come up with her famous sassy quips which stayed in the act thereafter. Still, the energy, talent, charisma and polish were undeniable, and we had not seen that so clearly before.

Actually, Flo had already done some lines for YOU'RE NOBODY... during the Motown Revue European tour which preceded the Hullabaloo appearance. These can be heard on the bonus tracks recorded in Paris and recently released on the expanded MORE HITS cd.

On that recording, they got no response. It might very well have been due to the language barrier. But since Berry had to convince Hullabaloo's producer to let them include the song on the show, he probably took them out just in case they didn't work on this important appearance. Of course, they were later included when the girls did the song on Ed Sullivan later in the year.

Other appearances I like a great deal are:

1965 - Where The Action Is!: Hits Medley

1966 - Ed Sullivan: My Favorite Things/Hits Medley

1967 - Hollywood Palace: Reflections/ The Lady Is a Tramp/Medley with Sammy Davis

1967 - Ed Sullivan: In And Out Love/Thou Swell/Medley with the Tempts

1968 - Bing Crosby Special - Do Not Forsake Me/Medley with Bing/Medley with Bing and Jose Feliciano

1970 - Smokey Robinson Show - Medleys with all of the acts

daviddh
03-15-2016, 10:14 AM
your wonderful sweet sweet love sonny and cher

antceleb12
03-15-2016, 07:35 PM
What comes to mind for me is You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves you on Hullaballo. Exciting and synergistic and it just kept building! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_O64ystb3Tg I wonder why Flo didn't slip in one of her sassy lines at the beginning!?

They didn't add the comedic bit until later. I believe the Paris gig right before the Copa was when they first added the comic bit - which, considering it was the first time and in front of a French audience, was a bit clumsy at first. Also notice Diana falls behind the beat at one point. Odd that even after the Hullaballoo performance, it almost seemed they got less comfortable with the song until the Copa came along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KR0BM47rY

marv2
03-16-2016, 02:02 AM
1976 - The Scene - "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and "You're What's Missing In My Life".

sup_fan
03-18-2016, 02:29 PM
All Time Fav - it's also my fav Sup song, 1966 Ed Sullivan You Can't Hurry Love

other great clips:
1965 Hullabaloo - Back In My Arms Again and You're Nobody
1969 Ed Sullivan - Impossible Dream
1968 TCB - Stop in the Name of Love
1967 Sullivan - The Happening
1970 Smokey - up the Ladder
1976 Mike Douglas - Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
1977 High Energy Videos

sup_fan