PDA

View Full Version : A Collection of 16 Big Hits Volume 11

test

mysterysinger
03-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Often wondered why this album was never issued on CD when the other 10 volumes were. Did they just think it wouldn't sell or were there deeper reasons? The UK re-utilised the cover for its Motown Disco Classics Volume 5 release.

A Collection of 16 Big Hits Volume 11

You Met Your Match - Stevie Wonder
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
Reflections - Supremes
I Truly Truly Believe - Temptations
Special Occasion - Miracles
I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is - Blinky
The End Of Our Road - Gladys Knight & Pips
Does Your Mama Know About Me - Bobby Taylor & Vancouvers
I'll Turn To Stone - Four Tops
If This World Were Mine - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
In And Out Of Love - Supremes
Yesterlove - Miracles
Destination Anywhere - Marvelettes
I Had A Dream - Shorty Long
Take Me In Your Arms - Isley Brothers
I Got A Feeling - Four Tops

Laserdk
03-13-2016, 03:36 PM
I have often wondered why the Four Tops' version of "I Got A Feeling" was included on this volume as it wasn't a, then, recent single release but a four year old album track. Was it a mistake and the album should have included Barbara Randolph's, then, more recent version which, of course, was a single?

Ivor

daviddesper
03-13-2016, 11:38 PM
I had never paid much attention to this collection, but wow, what an awesome selection of songs. I am surprised I was never motivated to buy it on vinyl at the time.

As for the inclusion of I Got a Feeling, I would personally have had no problem with that. I think that is an awesome track, FAR superior to Barbara's version, and my guess is that someone at Motown must have been really proud of it as well and wanted to call extra attention to it. The same could be true of I'll Turn to Stone, which is a great track in its own right.

reese
03-14-2016, 07:14 AM
I have often wondered why the Four Tops' version of "I Got A Feeling" was included on this volume as it wasn't a, then, recent single release but a four year old album track. Was it a mistake and the album should have included Barbara Randolph's, then, more recent version which, of course, was a single?

Ivor

Not sure why they chose the Four Tops' version. But Barbara's I GOT A FEELING was included on an earlier volume of this series.

thommg
03-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Interesting that Gladys Knight didn't get her name added to the cover nor did Diana Ross. Just The Pips and The Supremes.

George Solomon
03-14-2016, 11:21 AM
I pushed for the release of this series. They were all coming out at the same time. The reason i was given for not including volume 11 was, 1: It made it an uneven number and 2: The cover didn't match the others. Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles! [[And Some things you never get used to).

lockhartgary
03-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Interesting that Gladys Knight didn't get her name added to the cover nor did Diana Ross. Just The Pips and The Supremes.

Might be because, since the text was black, the longer names were shortened so they would not run too close to or into the dark areas.

mysterysinger
03-14-2016, 09:06 PM
I pushed for the release of this series. They were all coming out at the same time. The reason i was given for not including volume 11 was, 1: It made it an uneven number and 2: The cover didn't match the others. Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles! [[And Some things you never get used to).

Well thanks for the 10 you got for us.

762rob
03-26-2016, 05:04 AM
Well thanks for the 10 you got for us.

I wish they would reissue these as stereo / mono 32 tracks.
A lot of the stereo tracks were missing on the 10 reissues.
They were a mixture especially Vol. 5