PDA

View Full Version : Do Right Woman, Do Right Man [[Aretha) Mono Vs. Stereo

test

carlo
03-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone can shed more light on the differences between the mono and stereo versions of this track? I was listening to the stereo version and mono version back to back today and noticed more ad-libbing in the stereo version, however the vocals also seem more deeper/slowed in the stereo version? Not sure if this is just my own incorrect perception or if the stereo version has a completely different vocal?

reese
03-10-2016, 07:28 PM
To my ears, it is the same Aretha vocal on both versions. Near the final chorus, Aretha sings "Why don't you? Why don't you?" on the stereo version, but you don't hear this on the mono version. Aretha's tone on both seems sort of low, making me think she might have been somewhat hoarse, as she was on a few songs on that first Atlantic album. It could also be that the mono version on the 45 is slightly sped up. Are you listening on a turntable?

soulster
03-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone can shed more light on the differences between the mono and stereo versions of this track? I was listening to the stereo version and mono version back to back today and noticed more ad-libbing in the stereo version, however the vocals also seem more deeper/slowed in the stereo version? Not sure if this is just my own incorrect perception or if the stereo version has a completely different vocal?

The differences are of a sonic nature. The drums are brighter and solid. The vocals are more upfront in the mix and the whole mix sounds drier/cleaner. There is a lack of tape hiss.

carlo
03-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys!

Reese: I was listening to a CD, not a vinyl. I thought maybe the stereo mix was slightly slowed down. I know this is the case with Diana Ross & the Supremes' "The Composer". One version is slightly faster than the other, so the pitch is higher. Not sure if I am using the correct terms...

jack020
03-15-2016, 02:50 AM
See another discussion on the subject Aretha mono vs stereo:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/aretha-franklin-i-never-loved-a-man-question.21226/