PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Glen Campbell

test

edafan
03-08-2016, 07:47 PM
The Latest on Glen Campbell
Almost five years after his initial diagnosis, Glen Campbell is now in the final stages of Alzheimer’s. Sources close to the country icon tell Rolling Stone Country that he has been in Stage Seven of the degenerative brain disease for some time now and is unable to communicate.
Campbell is currently living in a Nashville memory care facility, where his family reports that music therapy has been particularly helpful. “Glen’s getting great care; he’s happy, he’s cheerful,” the singer’s wife, Kim Campbell tells the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s healthy but he has lost most of his language skills. He doesn’t understand anything anyone is saying to him. But there’s life and energy and community. He’s there with other people — doctors, lawyers — who are all facing the same thing. I’m in a community with other family members who are going through the same thing.”
The entertainer famously shared his journey through the earliest stages of Alzheimer’s in the 2014 documentary, Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me, which spawned the Grammy-winning and Oscar-nominated song, “I’ll Be Me.” Campbell’s family members have since become tireless advocates for Alzheimer’s awareness and research, using the film to not only get the message out but also comfort other families dealing with the devastating illness.
“He puts a real human face on this disease that a lot of people are dealing with that we don’t really hear about a lot in the media,” daughter Ashley Campbell told Rolling Stone Country last year. “That’s the conversation we’re hoping to start, that it’s real and it happens to people we love and that we need to personalize it.”
Glen Campbell, who will turn 79 next month, is a pop-country crossover sensation, selling more than 50 million albums worldwide on the strength of hits such as “Wichita Lineman,” “Galveston” and his signature “Rhinestone Cowboy.” He also has a long list of acting credits and hosted his own TV show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, in the late Sixties and early Seventies. He didn’t officially retire until the end of his farewell tour in 2014, during which he was just coming to grips with his Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

reese
03-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Very sad. I always enjoyed Glen and am so glad I got a chance to see him on his farewell tour. There were a couple of rough moments but when he started singing, all was fine.

edafan
03-08-2016, 10:06 PM
My first wife, the late Nancy, loved Glen Campbell.
So every once in a while I play By The Time IO Got To Phoenix
in memory of her.

edafan

marv2
03-08-2016, 11:35 PM
He is one of my favorites. I now realize what a great body of work he produced. I wish him the best.

Jerry Oz
03-09-2016, 01:02 AM
That is a cruel disease that sucks the life out of loved ones as it destroys its victims. My prayers are with his family as well as him at this sad time.

marv2
03-09-2016, 01:11 AM
This is just plain good music.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIYvHdEwEOw

Bluebrock
03-09-2016, 05:43 AM
I am a huge fan of this man. It is so so sad that he has ended up this way. God bless him.

soulster
03-09-2016, 06:17 AM
I have more recently come to love his guitar work in the late 60s.

arr&bee
03-09-2016, 02:26 PM
God bless glen campbell,i've always been a fan,his version of-witchita lineman is the difinitive version.

Bluebrock
03-10-2016, 07:31 AM
God bless glen campbell,i've always been a fan,his version of-witchita lineman is the difinitive version.

It is one of my all time favourite tunes. Sends shivers up and down my spine.

JimBagley
03-10-2016, 04:13 PM
I had waited on Glen Campbell and Tanya Tucker - room service - during the summer of 1981. They were an explosive couple. Glen was living at home last year with his wife until he kept being found eating bars of soap. I don't find soap tasty but it does usually smell nice. Clearly his health has deteriorated A LOT more since then. I am glad that Glen responds to music therapy. He was a diversely talented man whose music brought enjoyment to many.