PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan: Stay or Go?

test

skooldem1
12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Should we stay in Afghanistan and continue the fight, or should we leave now?

Afghan Security Deteriorates

U.N. Maps Show Risks in Many Districts Have Increased Despite Troop Surge

By YAROSLAV TROFIMOV
Internal United Nations maps show a marked deterioration of the security situation in Afghanistan during this year's fighting season, countering the Obama administration's optimistic assessments of military progress since the surge of additional American forces began a year ago.

The Wall Street Journal was able to view two confidential "residual risk accessibility" maps, one compiled by the U.N. at the annual fighting season's start in March 2010 and another at its tail end in October. The maps, used by U.N. personnel to gauge the dangers of travel and running programs, divide the country's districts into four categories: very high risk, high risk, medium risk and low risk.

In the October map, just as in March's, nearly all of southern Afghanistan—the focus of the coalition's military offensives—remained painted the red of "very high risk," with no noted improvements. At the same time, the green belt of "low risk" districts in northern, central and western Afghanistan shriveled.

The U.N.'s October map upgraded to "high risk" 16 previously more secure districts in Badghis, Sar-e-Pul, Balkh, Parwan, Baghlan, Samangan, Faryab, Laghman and Takhar provinces; only two previously "high risk" districts, one in Kunduz and one in Herat province, received a safer rating.

A Pentagon report mandated by Congress drew similar conclusions when it was released last month. It said attacks were up 70% since 2009 and threefold since 2007. As a result of the violence, the Taliban still threaten the Afghan government, according to the report. The White House's National Security Council declined to comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052970203568004576043842922347526.html

ralpht
12-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Skool,
I'm certain we are not up on all there is to know about the situation, but I say, get the hell out now.

soulster
12-27-2010, 06:47 PM
It's time to go. It's throwing money at a sinking ship and costing us lives. We have learned that we don't need to be there to fight terrorism.

Doug-Morgan
12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm of two minds on this. I get the impression that we're in about the same boat there that we were in Iraq 3 or 4 years ago and that country is reletively stable now, so let's keep going. On the other hand, by getting involved in Iraq in the first place, we put the war in Afghanistan on the back burner for 6 years so now all we're doing is playing catch up, something that's very difficult to do, so we should get out.

Wish I had a solid answer to this one.....

jobeterob
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I dont think it is the time to cut and run. The Taliban will simply move in and these are the real culprits of 9/11, not Saddam Hussein. Do you just allow a return to that?

I think what is necessary is an attempt to reach out to elements of the Taliban to build a consensus government that isn't corrupt and financed by heroin.

In terms of occupying Afghanistan, it is unconquerable. It is like a lot of Canada; those that know it, can continue a guerilla war there until the end of time.

soulster
12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I dont think it is the time to cut and run. The Taliban will simply move in and these are the real culprits of 9/11, not Saddam Hussein.

It may be inevitable. As soon as we pulled out of Viet Nam in 1973, the communists took over in 1975 anyway. All our efforts in Afghanistan are just stalling for their time. And, the Taliban was not responsible for 9/11. Al-Quaida was. Did you forget?

jobeterob
12-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Kinda; but didn't the Taliban harbour and provide sanction to Al Quaeda and Osama Bin Laden? And don't they still hide him?

topdiva1
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
LEAVE and LEAVE NOW - stop sending our tax money on other peoples wars and problems - leave them to there own undoing.

tamla617
01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
difficult one isnt it?leave and afganistan reverts to type and the taliban and bin laden get a hold again, stay and its going to cost a lot of money and lives.
i'm stuck when it comes to choosing.

its not other peoples wars topdiva when they came to visit you in 2001 their trip started in afganistan