PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone get Motown fan book?

test

luke
02-17-2016, 02:30 PM
I think it is by Tom Ingrassia. How is it?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah, Luke, I got it for Christmas. I hate to say it, but it wasn't all that great.... at all. I was really disappointed with it, but that doesn't mean that you or someone else might not like it.

I also got Ian Phillips' "Diana Ross - Reflections" book for Christmas. That one I LOVE! Step by step, he takes the reader through each and every song on each and every Supremes album and Diana Ross solo album -- track by track. It makes for fun reading, even when his opinion doesn't always match mine regarding favorites, which is just a matter of personal taste anyway. Unless you have it already, I highly recommend this one.

Hope I was able to help.

woodward
02-17-2016, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;325174][B]Yeah, Luke, I got it for Christmas. I hate to say it, but it wasn't all that great.... at all. I was really disappointed with it, but that doesn't mean that you or someone else might not like it.

I also got Ian Phillips' "Diana Ross - Reflections" book for Christmas.

I, too, have the Ian Phillips book. It was a little pricier, but it tells you anything and everything you need to know about DR. My only complaint is that the print is extremely small and your eyes get tired in a small amount of time. It is not the kind of book you can read say in your spare time in a week, I only have read 1/3 at most of it. My eyes get too tired.

luke
02-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks people! How much is DR book? Amazon?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;325174][B]Yeah, Luke, I got it for Christmas. I hate to say it, but it wasn't all that great.... at all. I was really disappointed with it, but that doesn't mean that you or someone else might not like it.

I also got Ian Phillips' "Diana Ross - Reflections" book for Christmas.

I, too, have the Ian Phillips book. It was a little pricier, but it tells you anything and everything you need to know about DR. My only complaint is that the print is extremely small and your eyes get tired in a small amount of time. It is not the kind of book you can read say in your spare time in a week, I only have read 1/3 at most of it. My eyes get too tired.
I've got you beat, woodward. I'm half-way through it! I thought surely I'd have finished it by now. I love that book, but I do know what you mean. Although once you start reading, it's hard to put the book down, there's something about it that's very tiring. There have been so many nights since Christmas when I was in the mood to read another chapter in bed, but I was just too tired for my eyes to work that hard, so I watched a movie DVD instead. I will get through it, however, a chapter at a time, one night soon. It really is an excellent read, especially when we can identify with every line in every chapter about the music we love most -- The Supremes & Motown!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks people! How much is DR book? Amazon?
Sorry, Luke. I somehow missed this earlier. Amazon's got "Diana Ross - Reflections" by Ian Phillips in the hard-cover version for $49.09. It sounds like a lot, I know, but it's worth every penny if you love Motown, The Supremes, and analyzing each of their albums and the tracks contained within. Personally, that's right up my alley! [[There's also a paper-back version available for $30.11, and a Kindle version for $9.99.) Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-Reflections-Ian-Phillips/dp/1910705101/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1455770640&sr=8-1

theboyfromxtown
02-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Yeah, Luke, I got it for Christmas. I hate to say it, but it wasn't all that great.... at all. I was really disappointed with it, but that doesn't mean that you or someone else might not like it.

I also got Ian Phillips' "Diana Ross - Reflections" book for Christmas. That one I LOVE! Step by step, he takes the reader through each and every song on each and every Supremes album and Diana Ross solo album -- track by track. It makes for fun reading, even when his opinion doesn't always match mine regarding favorites, which is just a matter of personal taste anyway. Unless you have it already, I highly recommend this one.

Hope I was able to help.

Now that surprises me about Tom's book. Can you tell me more.

theboyfromxtown
02-18-2016, 07:28 AM
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
HASH[[0x93dbad38) out of 5 stars Harmless [[Except for Factual Inaccuracies) But Worthless 20 Dec. 2015
By G. Simon - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
First, let me say that I didn't "hate" this book, it was a great idea - there's just so little substance to it that it's like a first grade primer for those who only know Motown sold records and nothing else about it. I was expecting a book on The Supremes or Motown, but really, it's just a collection of snap shots with long captions containing numerous pedestrian inaccuracies which renders the book useless as a fact source. Many of the photos are blurry or faded - some so much so that it is impossible to identify who is in the picture at all. There are numerous pics of empty Motown buildings, signs in the buildings, outside the buildings and very, very limited as to which artists are featured. The pics are often so useless that an entire page is a shot of a Four Tops album cover that has been out 50 years - it's not even a rare or special cover - every Motown fan has seen it and there's nothing to look at anyway. I'd rather see a picture of Mrs. Powell's shoes than this random, run-of-the-mill LP cover. Why pay $25.00 for a pic of an album cover you can see on Amazon.com for free? If you are a fan of Marvin Gaye for example, move on and Motown's biggest star, Michael Jackson, is not mentioned. Clearly the author is a major fan of Supreme Mary Wilson, as she is featured in more than half of the photos - many are just of marquees bearing her name, Mary walking, Mary sitting, Mary standing, The book is nicely laid out, and for $4.95 might be worth taking up room on your bookshelf for the few interesting pictures. The text is, unhappily, worthless.

HASH[[0x9486b174) out of 5 stars this book celebrates the great contribution of Motown performers 15 Feb. 2016
By Sharon R. Yang - Published on Amazon.com
If you want to know Motown from both the inside and from a fan's perspective, this book is for you. Rather than a negative take down of Motown, this book celebrates the great contribution of Motown performers, their achievements, and all they have given to the fans. It's not a white wash but a legitimate celebration. There are lots of never-before- seen photos of the Supremes, the Tops, the Temptations, the Vandellas, everyone. A fun and enjoyable book.

HASH[[0x943a3024) out of 5 stars DELIGHTFUL STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE. FUN TRIBUTE TO THE MUSIC OF A GENERATION. 26 Nov. 2015
By VINCENT P TARSITANO - Published on Amazon.com
Beautiful produced and lovingly rendered. Any fan--old or new--of the music of Motown and its phenomenal artists and creators will want to have this. Great idea for a birthday or Christmas gift for your

luke
02-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks for info. Mary walking . Mary standing! Lol. I think I will go for Diana paperback!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Now that surprises me about Tom's book. Can you tell me more.

The first review that you posted by G. Simon said it all, at least from my perspective. There was just nothing to the book except a few photos of the author's friends/fans with captions, and some unflattering photos of certain Motown artists. Maybe you'll find it a delightful stroll, as did one of the other reviewers. Only you can decide by reading it. For G. Simon and me, there just wasn't much to stroll through.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks for info. Mary walking . Mary standing! Lol. I think I will go for Diana paperback!

Go for it, Luke! If the enclosed text of Diana's paperback is the same as the hard-cover version, you'll love it!

luke
02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Great. Thanks pmg!

marv2
02-18-2016, 04:22 PM

That review was by a guy that is here on this forum. He does not care for Mary Wilson period.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Great. Thanks pmg!

You're welcome, Luke!

JimBagley
02-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Vincent Tarsitano and Sharon Yang are Facebook friends of Thomas Ingrassia. Their raves mean nothing.

marv2
02-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Vincent Tarsitano and Sharon Yang are Facebook friends of Thomas Ingrassia. Their raves mean nothing.

Tom is a friend of mine as well. I have not seen his book yet. I am not on facebook.

woodward
02-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Tom is a friend of mine as well. I have not seen his book yet. I am not on facebook.

Thank goodness you are not on facebook. You contribute so much to the forum if you were on facebook as too many people are the postings and knowledge that you give to the Motown Forum would diminish. I know people who are on facebook and tell every minute detail of their life, i. e. where they eat, which movie they see, it is outrageous. Your non-involvement with the Motown Forum would be the death blow to the forum.
You are far too valuable to us.

marv2
02-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Thank goodness you are not on facebook. You contribute so much to the forum if you were on facebook as too many people are the postings and knowledge that you give to the Motown Forum would diminish. I know people who are on facebook and tell every minute detail of their life, i. e. where they eat, which movie they see, it is outrageous. Your non-involvement with the Motown Forum would be the death blow to the forum.
You are far too valuable to us.

Wow, Woodward thank you! Thank you very much.