PDA

View Full Version : Dorothy Jones of The Cookies RIP

test

blueskies
12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Just read on another forum that Dorothy Jones of The Cookies passed away yesterday.

sophisticated_soul
12-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Dorothy Jones was a founding member of The Cookies and eventually the only original member left in the group. I haven't read of her passing anywhere else. If it's true, it's just so sad. Three in a matter of days. RIP Dorothy Jones. Thank you for the music. The Cookies b-side "Softly In The Night" is one of my all time favorite songs.

MadLad
12-26-2010, 11:06 PM
sadly this is true. R.I.P Dorothy

stephanie
12-26-2010, 11:18 PM
What happened to her?

arjayvee
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow, if anyone has further info please post ASAP.

marv2
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Rest in peace Dorothy. You sang a good song and I thank you!

Marv

juicefree20
12-27-2010, 04:16 PM
A friend of mine sings with Margaret Ross & The Cookies. I'll call her or Barbara Harris & try to get more information.

Dorothy Jones - R.I.P.

marv2
12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
A friend of mine sings with Margaret Ross & The Cookies. I'll call her or Barbara Harris & try to get more information.

Dorothy Jones - R.I.P.

That would be great Juice. I've met Margaret and alsoBarbara of the Toys, both very nice ladies.

luke
12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Did she sing lead at all? Im not sure of their voices other than Earl-Jean.

sophisticated_soul
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Did she sing lead at all? Im not sure of their voices other than Earl-Jean.

Dorothy Jones sang lead on "I Never Dreamed" and "Only To Other People". She also had a Goffin/King single on Columbia in 1961, "It's Unbearable".

luke
12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks. Now I remember reading about It's Unbearable. Did Margaret Ross usually sing lead?

sophisticated_soul
12-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks. Now I remember reading about It's Unbearable. Did Margaret Ross usually sing lead?

The Cookies released songs on Aladdin and Atlantic records prior to Dimension, who sang lead on those I'm not sure. I believe Earl-Jean sang lead on all the Dimension recordings, except the two mentioned above. The Cookies also released songs under different names such as The Palisades and The Cinderellas, these songs generally had Margaret on lead. The Cookies did background for numerous artists and also recorded the original version of "On Broadway".

sophisticated_soul
12-27-2010, 08:33 PM
According to Wikipedia Dorothy Jones died Christmas day in Columbus, Ohio of complications from Alzheimer's. Age 76.

marv2
12-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Dorothy Jones Johnson - Died 12-25-2010 in Columbus, OH, U.S. -
Complications from Alzheimer's Disease [[ R&B ) Born 5-16-1934 in South
Carolina, U.S. - Singer - [[She did, "It's Unbearable" and "Taking That Long
Walk Home") - Was a member of The Cookies [[They did, "Chains" and "Don't Say
Nothin' Bad [[About My Baby)") who had also used the names, The Cinderellas,
The Stepping Stones, The Honey Bees and The Palisades - Worked with Carole
King [["It Might As Well Rain Until September"), Bernadette Castro, The
Drifters, Neil Sedaka [["Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"), Tony Orlando, Len
Barry, Little Eva [["The Loco-Motion"), Eydie Gorme, LaVerne Baker, Freddie
Scott, Beverly Warren and Bobby Harris.