PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Live At London's Talk Of The Town

test

Jimi LaLumia
02-13-2016, 08:32 PM
https://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/live-at-londons-talk-of-the-town-1968/

sansradio
02-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Jimi! I just read his Reflections review this morning; this hadn't been posted yet.

captainjames
02-14-2016, 12:18 AM
One of the best Live albums ever recorded.

sansradio
02-14-2016, 12:29 AM
One of the best Live albums ever recorded.

No arguments from me on that score. And, as I've stated before, one criminally overdue for a digital re-release.

lakedistrictlad1
02-14-2016, 05:29 AM
I bought this lp in WHSmith as a kid. It was my very first Motown record. The one that started it all for me. I have such a love for this one. Glad I got the CD edition when it came out in the 90's.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Very interesting article, Jimi. Thanks! And, yes, I've always loved The Supremes' "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" LP and CD. Now, if only we could get the video version on DVD, I would be happy!

sansradio
02-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Very interesting article, Jimi. Thanks! And, yes, I've always loved The Supremes' "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" LP and CD. Now, if only we could get the video version on DVD, I would be happy!

Gary, a bootleg exists of essentially the same show with variations, recorded for Swedish TV in 1968.

RossHolloway
02-14-2016, 11:28 AM
I wonder if there are any outtakes from this live recording..

daviddh
02-14-2016, 12:33 PM
out takes that I am aware of are UNCHAINED MELODY, QUEEN OF THE HOUSE, I HEAR A SYMPHONY. I think there were a few more.
this is my favorite Supremes live album. I really like the orchestration behind the supremes and it makes songs like In and Out Of Love standout. my only complaint is how Motown made them RUSH thru the songs.
I always enjoy the reviews here

bradsupremes
02-14-2016, 03:15 PM
out takes that I am aware of are UNCHAINED MELODY, QUEEN OF THE HOUSE, I HEAR A SYMPHONY. I think there were a few more.
this is my favorite Supremes live album. I really like the orchestration behind the supremes and it makes songs like In and Out Of Love standout. my only complaint is how Motown made them RUSH thru the songs.

"Queen Of The House," "Unchained Melody," and the Sam Cooke Medley were recorded, but not included on the album. "I Hear A Symphony" was out of the act by this time.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Gary, a bootleg exists of essentially the same show with variations, recorded for Swedish TV in 1968.

Thanks, sansradio. If you're referring to the DVD which shows Diana, Mary & Flo on the front cover but is actually a concert with Diana, Mary & Cindy, I already have it. Unfortunately, the DVD is set up for Region 2 PAL [[for Europe) and won't play on American DVD players. That's why I wish Motown would release a Region 1 DVD of the show that we Americans could watch whether it be the London show or the European shows. It doesn't matter, as the shows on that tour in 1968 contained pretty much the same track line-up.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-15-2016, 01:39 AM
This is my favorite Supremes live album. I really like the orchestration behind the supremes and it makes songs like In and Out Of Love standout. my only complaint is how Motown made them RUSH thru the songs.
Me, too, daviddh. Those 1968-era Gil Askey music arrangements for DRATS' live performances really tripped my trigger! I especially love the transition between each song within each medley. To my ears, Gil Askey was a musical genius. He and Motown introduced me to a world of new [[to me) nightclub tunes in an exciting way that I could identify with -- musically and emotionally. Gil kept the Motown magic alive for Diana, Mary & Cindy on stage as well as in the studio.

longtimefan
02-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Back cover of the British release:

daviddh
02-15-2016, 01:02 PM
there was a listing that had I Hear A Symphony as the closing number on the UK version???

johnny_raven
02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
It's just the instrumental closing number. It's on the U.S. release too.

rod_rick
02-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks, sansradio. If you're referring to the DVD which shows Diana, Mary & Flo on the front cover but is actually a concert with Diana, Mary & Cindy, I already have it. Unfortunately, the DVD is set up for Region 2 PAL [[for Europe) and won't play on American DVD players. That's why I wish Motown would release a Region 1 DVD of the show that we Americans could watch whether it be the London show or the European shows. It doesn't matter, as the shows on that tour in 1968 contained pretty much the same track line-up.

I have the same dvd and had the same problem until I updated my dvd player. The entire show was on youtube. I just checked and it was deleted. I've seen where the show is divided into several parts but the visual is not as good as the deleted version.

sansradio
02-16-2016, 11:44 AM

No, Gary, mine has a famous group shot with Cindy; the girls have on the same "chandelier" dresses from the LALTOTT cover shot. And it's a Region 1 bootleg, for sure.;)

Philles/Motown Gary
02-16-2016, 10:50 PM
No, Gary, mine has a famous group shot with Cindy; the girls have on the same "chandelier" dresses from the LALTOTT cover shot. And it's a Region 1 bootleg, for sure.;)

Well, dang, sansradio! I wonder how I managed to miss that? I'll keep my eyes open for a stray copy on eBay. Thanks for letting me know that it exists.

sansradio
02-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Well, dang, sansradio! I wonder how I managed to miss that? I'll keep my eyes open for a stray copy on eBay. Thanks for letting me know that it exists.

LOL! BOLO: This is the image:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_xtFUxGcSvHcgjJuJicbR6wJKkn4uY xuNl33y2rApjTDd39ZehQ

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 01:07 AM
I have the same dvd and had the same problem until I updated my dvd player. The entire show was on youtube. I just checked and it was deleted. I've seen where the show is divided into several parts but the visual is not as good as the deleted version.
Rod_rick, sorry I didn't reply to you before. How did you go about updating your DVD player?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 01:17 AM
LOL! BOLO: This is the image:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_xtFUxGcSvHcgjJuJicbR6wJKkn4uY xuNl33y2rApjTDd39ZehQ
Sure, sansradio, I've seen that photo lots of times. But THAT's the picture that's on the front cover of your Supremes concert DVD? Mary and Cindy are looking up at Diana dreamily like she's a goddess they're in awe of! Given the behind-the-scenes turmoil, makes ya wonder how drunk the girls had to be before they could stomach that photo shoot! HaHa!

rod_rick
02-17-2016, 01:22 AM
Rod_rick, sorry I didn't reply to you before. How did you go about updating your DVD player?

I bought and combo dvd vhs that recorded both dvd and vhs tapes. My previous dvd player was 5 disc player only.

sansradio
02-17-2016, 02:07 AM
Sure, sansradio, I've seen that photo lots of times. But THAT's the picture that's on the front cover of your Supremes concert DVD? Mary and Cindy are looking up at Diana dreamily like she's a goddess they're in awe of! Given the behind-the-scenes turmoil, makes ya wonder how drunk the girls had to be before they could stomach that photo shoot! HaHa!

Yes, that's the photo. Let's not even start that ball rolling!:p

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 02:42 AM
Yes, that's the photo. Let's not even start that ball rolling!:p

Oh, it's okay, sansradio. I love Diana, Mary, and Cindy equally as Supremes. That's why I felt free to say it because, sadly, it was true. And, the "drunk" remark was kinda funny and, possibly, very true, too!

luke
02-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Lol PMG. And also when they had to sing "she's the greatest star!"

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Lol PMG. And also when they had to sing "she's the greatest star!"

I know, Luke! HeHe!

luke
02-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Very funny. Can u imagine if Flo had still been in the group ?!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 12:17 AM
Very funny. Can u imagine if Flo had still been in the group ?!

You mean if Flo had been expected to sing that song honoring Diana? Oh, God, Luke! No I cannot! I shudder to think!

luke
02-18-2016, 12:34 AM
Lolol.. Or gaze at her countenance like in that pic!!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Lolol.. Or gaze at her countenance like in that pic!!
Heavens no!!! Flo may have been a good singer, but I don't think she was an actress -- not to THAT extent! It would have taken a Joan Crawford or a Bette Davis to pull THAT one off!

luke
02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Lol. If she did she'd have that smirk on face when she delivered a sarcastic line in the show!

TheMotownManiac
02-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Me, too, daviddh. Those 1968-era Gil Askey music arrangements for DRATS' live performances really tripped my trigger! I especially love the transition between each song within each medley. To my ears, Gil Askey was a musical genius. He and Motown introduced me to a world of new [[to me) nightclub tunes in an exciting way that I could identify with -- musically and emotionally. Gil kept the Motown magic alive for Diana, Mary & Cindy on stage as well as in the studio.
Totally agree. DMF sound great on Copa, but I love Mary's strong presence on this album as it gives the bg so much depth. Diana is in top form as well and as you stated, Gil Askey's charts remain superb to this day. Their best live LP for sure.

TheMotownManiac
02-19-2016, 09:04 PM
You mean if Flo had been expected to sing that song honoring Diana? Oh, God, Luke! No I cannot! I shudder to think!

Luckily Mary, Cindy & Flo were professionals who would know they were not honoring Diana, but instead all playing parts in the tale of Funny Girl and would never let petty bickering and childish bitchery affect a performance.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-19-2016, 10:52 PM
It's true, TheMotownManiac, the ladies. were all top-notch professionals, for sure. Diana, Mary, and Cindy were in a healthy frame of mind. But, Flo, bless her heart, was emotionally messed up at the end of her career as a Supreme. I can't help but fear that, on a bad day, a photo shoot such as the one above -- enhanced by one drink too many -- might have pushed her over the edge, especially since she was already missing performances. Looking back, we'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. I would still shudder to think of the possibility.

To tell you the truth, I can't imagine the members of ANY group being happy about a photo session where they're expected to pose while looking at their lead singer adoringly. It seems demeaning and ego-deflating for group members whose only ambition was to feel equally important within the group.

daviddh
02-19-2016, 11:33 PM
thanks Johnny Raven for clearing that up