PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson to star in Lena Horne story

test

marv2
02-12-2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.spartaindependent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20160210/ENTERTAINMENT/160219988/Mary-Wilson-to-star-in-Lena-Horne-story

luke
02-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Great article. How her stature keeps growing!

marv2
02-13-2016, 01:03 AM
Great article. How her stature keeps growing!

That it does. This show is so very different from her Supremes show or symphony concerts.

Ollie9
02-13-2016, 03:40 AM
Mary just keeps on rolling and is such an inspiration. She really comes in to her own singing this kind of material. I myself would much rather listen to her sing a Lena Horne song than a Supremes hit.
Mary's pose in the pic reminds me of the final concert scene from "Lady Sings The Blues". I would love to hear Mary singing the Billie Holiday songbook. Could be very good methinks.

Bluebrock
02-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Mary just keeps on rolling and is such an inspiration. She really comes in to her own singing this kind of material. I myself would much rather listen to her sing a Lena Horne song than a Supremes hit.
Mary's pose in the pic reminds me of the final concert scene from "Lady Sings The Blues". I would love to hear Mary singing the Billie Holiday songbook. Could be very good methinks.
Totally agree. This could work very well. I am also not a fan of Mary singing the Supremes songs but i do rate her highly on this kind of material. I hope this project goes ahead. I know she prefers to perform this kind of material these days. Good luck to her.

BigAl
02-13-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm guessing Mary is not actually portraying Lena herself but possibly reworking her Lena Horne tribute club act. Her persona, voice and style, while compelling, no question, are nothing like The Horne's. I've not attended her Horne act but it's been well received so I hope this works as well for mer.

marv2
02-13-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm guessing Mary is not actually portraying Lena herself but possibly reworking her Lena Horne tribute club act. Her persona, voice and style, while compelling, no question, are nothing like The Horne's. I've not attended her Horne act but it's been well received so I hope this works as well for mer.

I saw an interview where Mary says she is not imitating Lena,but paying tribute to her music yet still dressing in the glamorous 40s and 50s styles of
Ms. Horne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6RF2Suw9c8

arr&bee
02-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Go,mary go!!!