PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes with Bobby Darin

test

thomas96
02-11-2016, 11:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KBZ9pQ-jQ0

thommg
02-12-2016, 12:38 PM
I do wish they would release this special in a nice clean copy. I enjoy all the individual songs so much.

edafan
02-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Bobby D was so talented.
Great video

edafan

Bluebrock
02-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Bobby D was so talented.
Great video

edafan
Agreed edafan. A very talented vocalist taken away far too early. I am looking forward to picking up the forthcoming Motown compilation.

BigAl
02-13-2016, 09:52 AM
That Rodgers & Hart Special was possibly the best of its type, bringing together both seasoned performers and chart-toppers of the day. Memory doesn't serve me too well on this, but Wikipedia states that it was unique in that there was no scripted dialogue padding things out, just music. The Supremes were at the top of their game for this one, although most critics felt that The Mamas & The Papas turned in the best performances. They even chose to record and release "Glad To Be Unhappy" as their next single [[it didn't chart very well), and of course Motown decided to create The Supremes' Rodgers & Hart album on the strength of the critical reception as well. To my ears, no additional voices behind the three were used on that album, and in a way it was fitting for it to be Florence's final LP outing with the group. She really shone on nearly every track, and it's a shame that she wasn't given any leads beyond a couple of three-way harmonies [[notably "Manhattan") where her voice is particularly prominent.

Because I wasn't even born when Rodgers & Hart teamed up, remembering only Rodgers & Hammerstein whose music was very, very different, most of the songs were new to me, and even today, I can't hear an R&H song without comparing it with those 1967 performances.